Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Prostate cancer

12,605 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by monarch
TexasAggie73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had blood work done and my PSA was 18.6. Eighteen months ago it was normal. Now waiting for results of a biopsy. When the doctor saw my blood results he though it was a false reading based on my other scores in the past until he did the old finger probe and said my prostate was hard and felt a nodule. Have not had any physical indications that anything was going on, so this hit me out of the blue.

I am 71 over weight and the doctor mention that surgery was not a option, but I would need radiation treatments if the biopsy is positive. Fortunately, I live in the Houston area with good medical centers. Anyone here go through this or any suggestions?
TXTransplant
No suggestions, just that my dad got a similar diagnosis a few weeks ago. He's 68. Surgery was an option, but the oncologist at Houston Methodist said that, based on his numbers, the outcome is the same whether you do surgery and then radiation or radiation (and then surgery, if it's still necessary). I think his PSA was <10. He also had to have a bone scan before they decided on a treatment plan.

He decided on radiation, in part because of all the issues with Covid right now. It's a slow process, though. His diagnosis took months (he first went to the doctor back in March), and he doesn't expect to start radiation until October.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

Had blood work done and my PSA was 18.6. Eighteen months ago it was normal. Now waiting for results of a biopsy. When the doctor saw my blood results he though it was a false reading based on my other scores in the past until he did the old finger probe and said my prostate was hard and felt a nodule. Have not had any physical indications that anything was going on, so this hit me out of the blue.

I am 71 over weight and the doctor mention that surgery was not a option, but I would need radiation treatments if the biopsy is positive. Fortunately, I live in the Houston area with good medical centers. Anyone here go through this or any suggestions?

Why is surgery not an option? I'd seek a second opinion ASAP.
TexasAggie73
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

TexasAggie73 said:

Why is surgery not an option? I'd seek a second opinion ASAP.
That is something I will ask him. Maybe something to do with my body type.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
When's the follow up? What was your baseline before the jump to 18?
TexasAggie73
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

When's the follow up? What was your baseline before the jump to 18?
Tomorrow I'm getting the results of the biopsy and the base line 18 months ago was around 3.8. Would never had know anything was going on without the blood work. Being followed for non progressive kidney disease because of elevated creatinine level, but, it has been that way for years
htxag09
AG
Praying for you! Good luck!
TexasAggie73
AG
htxag09 said:

Praying for you! Good luck!
Thanks. I'm sure it will be an adventure. Glad I have Aggie football for a distraction. Lol.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I am not a doctor, but I do have a lot of experience with prostate cancer.

PSA doubling is cause for concern. There is definitely something going on. Radiation won't stop the PSA from rising. If the prostate is producing cancer cells then get it taken out. Targeted radiation will kill the cells spreading from the prostate, but if your Dr. doesn't perform surgery than it's a never ending battle. You'll probably be asked to take a testosterone suppressant/shot to get your PSA under control. Get a second opinion scheduled ASAP. An increasing PSA is nothing to take lightly or nonchalantly.

Are you on any testosterone replacements right now?
TexasAggie73
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

I am not a doctor, but I do have a lot of experience with prostate cancer.

PSA doubling is cause for concern. There is definitely something going on. Radiation won't stop the PSA from rising. If the prostate is producing cancer cells then get it taken out. Targeted radiation will kill the cells spreading from the prostate, but if your Dr. doesn't perform surgery than it's a never ending battle. You'll probably be asked to take a testosterone suppressant/shot to get your PSA under control. Get a second opinion scheduled ASAP. An increasing PSA is nothing to take lightly or nonchalantly.

Are you on any testosterone replacements right now?
No, not on any replacements at this time.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Keep us posted. Good luck tomorrow!
lazuras_dc
AG
Crazy seeing this thread. My dad just got his biopsy report back as well (67). Same thing doc recommended radiation. Although surgery is on the table as an option and/or both.

Same story PSA was high. MRI showed a suspicious lesion. Biopsy taken.
TXTransplant
I'm curious how long it took your dad to get a diagnosis. As I said above, my dad went to the doctor back in March. It's been a series of back-and-forths, and he didn't get his diagnosis until August. I find that hard to accept.
TexasAggie73
AG
Got my report back and I have high grade prostate cancer. It was a 4 out of possible 5 on the scale. Will be getting a CT scan along with a full body scan to see if it has spread and if so, how far. Because of my age, close to 72 and my weight, he doesn't recommend surgery, because of side effects. I would have to have radiation treatments in any case. So it will be radiation along with hormone therapy.. The radiation will be 40 treatments over 8 weeks and a hormone shot every 6 months for 3 years. Fortunately, I have not had any physical signs of anything wrong and the biopsy doesn't show any spreading and the Woodlands has excellent medical providers.

So, keep paying your Medicare tax and I have excellent secondary coverage.
TexasAggie73
AG
TXTransplant said:

I'm curious how long it took your dad to get a diagnosis. As I said above, my dad went to the doctor back in March. It's been a series of back-and-forths, and he didn't get his diagnosis until August. I find that hard to accept.
Sorry about the delay for your dad, fortunately most prostate cancer grows slow. It took me a week to get the biopsy report, now have to schedule appointment with hospital for body scan and oncology radiologist for CT scan, then will work out treatment schedule.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
'73 I don't know you, but I'm telling you right now I care about you. Get a second opinion soon.
lazuras_dc
AG
Sorry to hear that ! Hoping for the best result.

As far as timeline I feel like it was pretty fast. I believe bloodwork came back 1-2 months ago. MRI, Biopsy and results were all 1-2 weeks apart after.
TexasAggie73
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

'73 I don't know you, but I'm telling you right now I care about you. Get a second opinion soon.
Thanks Cowboy.
Utopia61
I am 78. On December 22, 2021, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My PSA was not nearly as high as yours (4.6), but my biopsy revealed four spots with an elevated score. Took 44 radiation treatments starting in January. The last two weeks and for two weeks after the last one I had instances where I became extremely fatigued. Also had a lot of urgency when I needed to urinate. These symptoms are now gone. My PSA went down to 0.03 after radiation. Good luck - you are in an area where you should get some very good medical care.
TexasAggie73
AG
Utopia61 said:

I am 78. On December 22, 2021, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My PSA was not nearly as high as yours (4.6), but my biopsy revealed four spots with an elevated score. Took 44 radiation treatments starting in January. The last two weeks and for two weeks after the last one I had instances where I became extremely fatigued. Also had a lot of urgency when I needed to urinate. These symptoms are now gone. My PSA went down to 0.03 after radiation. Good luck - you are in an area where you should get some very good medical care.
Thanks. Glad you recovered. Working to schedule a CT and bone scan. Biopsy doesn't show any spreading, but a possible 33% chance that it has spread to just outside of prostate. So hopeful good outcome with radiation and hormone therapy.
Desert Power
AG
Jeffrey Cadeddu, M.D Does robotic prostatectomy in Dallas at UT Southwestern Medical Center. World-Class surgeon. Took care of my father and I can't recommend him enough.
Foxo
AG
I had brachytherapy and fixed beam therapy 22 years ago when I was 60. PSA over 10 increased to over 30 after radiation and then slowly came down to undetectable. Some sleepless nights there.

I have not kept up with medical technology, but my biggest concern with radiation is the effect on nearby organs like the bladder. I have other problems now that can't easily be fixed because radiated flesh does not heal well. I would choose surgery today. I think surgery and radiation have both improved in the last 22 years.
TexasAggie73
AG
Foxo said:

I had brachytherapy and fixed beam therapy 22 years ago when I was 60. PSA over 10 increased to over 30 after radiation and then slowly came down to undetectable. Some sleepless nights there.

I have not kept up with medical technology, but my biggest concern with radiation is the effect on nearby organs like the bladder. I have other problems now that can't easily be fixed because radiated flesh does not heal well. I would choose surgery today. I think surgery and radiation have both improved in the last 22 years.
Recommendation now is for those over 70 to just do radiation, plus I'm over weight. My urologist said even if surgery was a option, I would still need radiation plus hormone therapy. Will be getting a gel pack to help avoid skin burn. My radiologist has both a MD and PhD. Will be getting a CT scan and bone scan when we get back from Utah, so we will plan from those results.
TXTransplant
My dad was basically told the same thing by his oncologist. He was also told that complications from surgery can significantly delay radiation, and he didn't want to be in that position.

A friend of the family who is a few years older than my dad opted for surgery a couple of years ago, and according to my dad, he has had incontinence issues. That just seems like a huge quality of life issue for me, but maybe I'm overreacting.
TexasAggie73
AG
TXTransplant said:

My dad was basically told the same thing by his oncologist. He was also told that complications from surgery can significantly delay radiation, and he didn't want to be in that position.

A friend of the family who is a few years older than my dad opted for surgery a couple of years ago, and according to my dad, he has had incontinence issues. That just seems like a huge quality of life issue for me, but maybe I'm overreacting.
My urologist told me the same thing about quality of life following surgery.
Foxo
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

Foxo said:

Recommendation now is for those over 70 to just do radiation, plus I'm over weight. My urologist said even if surgery was a option, I would still need radiation plus hormone therapy. Will be getting a gel pack to help avoid skin burn. My radiologist has both a MD and PhD. Will be getting a CT scan and bone scan when we get back from Utah, so we will plan from those results.
My neighbor had prostate cancer surgery when he was over 80 and not long after died of something else. Life expectancy for 70 is considerably higher than 80.
Foxo
AG
TexasAggie73 said:

Foxo said:

Keep in touch with this forum. We are all pulling for you.
The Grinder (99)
AG
Good luck to you OP and to the fathers of the other two posters. I am saying a prayer the three of you now and for all battling cancer.
southernboy1
AG
Got the ole # 1 a week ago. MRI today. Will see my urologist next Thursday. I hate this sh.t. Will start tying up loose ends this week. But, hopefully everything turns out good.
Buford T. Justice
AG
My dad (73) went through this last year.
I want to say that the radiation treatments spanned over the course of six weeks. The main side effects were fatigue and weight loss during treatment, but both quickly subsided after he completed his successful treatments.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
TexasAggie73
AG
Had a second opinion and also rules out surgery for my case. Had a CT scan a couple of days ago and the scan did not show any spreading to lymph nodes, but doctor is 70% sure it has to a small level. Will be having a bone scan this afternoon and meeting with my urologist next Thursday to go over all the results and plan of action. Oncologist gives me a 75 to 85% cure rate. At least this is a slow moving cancer.
billyjack2009
BTHOprostatecancer 73!!!
aggiebrad94
AG
I just moved to The Woodlands. If I can be of service or pray over you, I'm willing.

blivingston at harmanwealth.com
southernboy1
AG
I know I've been jumping on here 73. Hope and pray everything is going good. I go for a biopsy on Monday. Really worried about this. I'll keep y'all up to date.
Spore Ag
Has your oncologist suggested proton therapy. May not be indicated but is an alternative for radiation and surgery.

Anyway get after it and good luck.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.