Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2020 MS150 Ending at Kyle?

4,544 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LOYAL AG
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard a rumour that next year's ride will have a split start in Houston and Austin with a finish at Kyle Field.
Nitro Power
AG
Could be but a ride from Houston to CS isn't near the distance from Houston to Austin. Are they planning on making it a one day even only?
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
aTm2004
AG
No. Overnight in LaGrange like it currently is.
AggieOO
not a rumor. It has been officially announced.

Routes start in Austin and Houston. Both overnight in La Grange.
dave99ag
AG
A friend posted this recently, so looks fairly true to me. Traffic will be crazy, but it's great for the community.

AggieOO
maybe it hasn't been "officially" announced, but definitely leaked

AggieOO
dave was faster than me.
AggieOO
also can't wait to read the thread on the Outdoors Board of all the people complaining about the "wannabe lance armstrongs" clogging up the roads.
dave99ag
AG
The Aggieland board is going to be fun too!

At least it's the week before graduation. I'm curious to see the route they use to come into town. Pretty sure I'll be avoiding the 60 / 2818 interchange that day.
Nitro Power
AG
Well ***** Looks like I am going to have to start in Austin to be able to go through the parks. I rather enjoyed the challenge route last year.
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
O.G.
dave99ag said:

At least it's the week before graduation. I'm curious to see the route they use to come into town. Pretty sure I'll be avoiding the 60 / 2818 interchange that day.
Yep....someone should go stir that hornets next up, and on the OB too.
txags92
AG
What is have heard/read is that the overnight will still be in Lagrange, lunch will be at Somerville, and the finish will involve a lap around Kyle field. The vip area at the finish will be in the zone club and the team tent areas will be in the parking lot outside Kyle.

The main driver for the change was that COTA was pretty widely dislike by riders and volunteers and would not commit to a date for 2019 until the MotoGP series announced their schedule in August. Austin and tu were not interested in hosting the finish line, but A&M really wanted the finish and is rolling out the red carpet for the MS Society. Pretty proud of A&M for stepping up like that...
dave99ag
AG
Yeah, pretty stoked area leaders are bringing this to town. Traffic may suck a bit, but no worse than a gameday, just with thousands of bicycles. What type of numbers is the MS-150 drawing these days?
dave99ag
AG
SAWgunner said:

dave99ag said:

Yep....someone should go stir that hornets next up, and on the OB too.
Eh, why not. Going to post to Aggieland. Gives them nearly a year to prepare.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3059120/replies/54932468
txags92
AG
I don't have any official #s but I think last year was around 9500-10k
htxag09
AG
How dumb am I to debate signing up for this the week after Ironman Texas? I thought it was the same weekend as IMTX?
txags92
AG
Just use it as a recovery ride...
Nitro Power
AG
It is a bit inconvenient for me to have to go to Austin from Katy to start, so that I can go through the parks. However the route from Austin to LaGrange to College Station through the parks and Somerville sounds like a lot of fun. I am looking forward to it. Last year was my first and had a blast.
Nitro Power
AG
Last year I believe it was around 9,000
ptothemo
AG
htxag09 said:

How dumb am I to debate signing up for this the week after Ironman Texas? I thought it was the same weekend as IMTX?
It was the same weekend this year, because I remember thinking that it wasn't great logistics that they were the same weekend.
Bert315
AG
Whiskey Jacket said:

It is a bit inconvenient for me to have to go to Austin from Katy to start, so that I can go through the parks. However the route from Austin to LaGrange to College Station through the parks and Somerville sounds like a lot of fun. I am looking forward to it. Last year was my first and had a blast.

I like the finish a lot better. COTA had everything so spread out and was kind of a pain to deal with. Downside being missing the parks but I think the ride through Somerville will be really nice.
88planoAg
AG
So if you start in Austin Day 1 will be downhill, right?
Bert315
AG
88planoAg said:

So if you start in Austin Day 1 will be downhill, right?

Overall yes it will be downhill. Still have some hills but negative altitude gain overall.
txags92
AG
The ride from San Antonio to Corpus was net downhill too, but the overall climbing elevation was more than you would expect because the first half was so lumpy. Day 2 into the headwind at the coast on crappy pavement was no picnic either. Nothing like being in a paceline going 10-11 mph.
culdeus
AG
The Houston to Lagrange was pretty snooze inducing. Taking out the Bastrop route takes out the main interesting topography.

Can't imagine this brings in any money to college station. Most riders will GTFO as soon as the race is over.
88planoAg
AG
txags92 said:

The ride from San Antonio to Corpus was net downhill too, but the overall climbing elevation was more than you would expect because the first half was so lumpy. Day 2 into the headwind at the coast on crappy pavement was no picnic either. Nothing like being in a paceline going 10-11 mph.
I've heard horror stories about that one. I've only done one day (second rained out) after they changed to Schlitterbahn. I heard as much/more about the headwind than the road conditions.
LOYAL AG
AG
culdeus said:

The Houston to Lagrange was pretty snooze inducing. Taking out the Bastrop route takes out the main interesting topography.

Can't imagine this brings in any money to college station. Most riders will GTFO as soon as the race is over.
With over an hour to get anywhere from here I'm thinking most riders will at least grab a meal even if it's fast food on their way out. I live in CS and grab a meal in Austin before leaving town. Way too long a drive on an empty stomach after a ride like that.
88planoAg
AG
culdeus said:

I think you are forgetting the multitudes of people supporting the ride - volunteers of all sorts plus family and friends.
LOYAL AG
AG
Just found out the baseball team plays LSU at Olsen that weekend. First pitch on Sunday is typically 1 pm which I'm thinking is about when riders will start rolling into town. That'll make for an interesting mess with 6K baseball fans and 10K cyclists coming together at roughly the same spot.
Frok
AG
Missing out on the park is a definite negative for the College Station route. However only being an hour and a half from home at the finish is a huge positive.

Aggie Cycling
Don't forget that you will be able to start in Austin and ride backwards through the parks on Day 1 if you really want to do the parks. Don't have details yet, but our assumption is that they will have shuttles to Austin from both Houston and College Station on Friday night for those looking to do that Day 1 route.
tmaggies
AG
AggieOO said:

also can't wait to read the thread on the Outdoors Board of all the people complaining about the "wannabe lance armstrongs" clogging up the roads.

I'll start the complaining.........move it to your loop around your city so you won't screw up our peaceful homes wanna be Lances!
LOYAL AG
AG
tmaggies said:

AggieOO said:

I'll start the complaining.........move it to your loop around your city so you won't screw up our peaceful homes wanna be Lances!
OK, I'll bite. What the hell are you whining about? It's one day. One day with 10K cyclists rolling into town from Sommerville which either means 1361 to 50 then 50 to 60 to 2818 to Bush to Kyle. Or maybe it means we'll ride from Sommerville to 21 and take that to 47 or 2818. Either way we aren't going to take a tour of BCS finest neighborhoods and screw up your peaceful home, even for a few hours.

What we are going to do is raise millions of dollars for people suffering from a pretty brutal disease. Trust me, I know. I've watched my mom struggle with it for 20 years in a slow steady decline and my sister struggle with a rapid onset that has her on 100% disability at 41 years old. Hard to keep a job when you don't know if you will be able to see or walk tomorrow, regardless of what today is like. 10,000 riders, average fund raise of $1000. That's $10 million for much needed research.

Hopefully we don't inconvenience you too much, it's genuinely not the goal. Absolutely worst case is some lane closures and the western parts of town are clogged up for most of the day. A Sunday, mind you. Stay away from campus that day, unless you've got baseball tickets. I won't offer you mine that way you won't have to encounter us wanna be Lances on your way to Olsen.

It's one day. You'll be OK. Really. I promise.
tmaggies
AG
Well my friend it's way more than one day with our experience throughout the years with rude riding abreast bicyclist. Your story of raising funds is an old one. Have a nice day.....
88planoAg
AG
tmaggies said:

Your story of raising funds is an old one. Have a nice day.....

What does this even mean? Are you trolling?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.