Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Heart rate questions from anecdotal observations

1,012 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by txags92
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been running forever, have run multiple marathons, 5Ks, 10 Ks, half marathons and have never really concerned myself with trying to track my heart rate.

But when I'm at the gym using the elliptical it does measure that while you are holding on to the bars.

I usually do the "Hill Interval modality" and set it to level 23 or 24 (this is at a Planet Fitness using their model, so those modes may not mean anything if not using the same equipment.)

My goal is to burn calories and actually work out. I'm not just on it as a casual.

So, when I'm burning through the 1 minute High Intensity interval part, I'm working HARD.
My heart rate starts at about 120-130 during first 4-5 minutes (it takes a while until the hill interval ramps up to the highest/hardest level), then I'll stay in the 140 to 150 range, and if I really put maximum effort I might peak out at 175.

But, recently, when the gym is busy there will be people right next to me on 3 separate occasions, i've glanced over at the readout on the person next to me who just started, and notice it is a woman and their HR is reading 185 within 2-3 minutes of them starting.

Is this an inherent difference in genders? Or level of cardio fitness? it was 3 different body types...
wbt5845
AG
The more cardio fitness you have, the harder it is to get your pulse rate up.

The rule of thumb for max heart rate you should have during exercise is to take 220 and subtract your age. If you're Class of 91, you're around 50, so your max heart rate should be 170.

That being said, I violate that rule all the time but cannot get my heart rate above 180-184, no matter how hard I try.
KidDoc
AG
Your heart is much more efficient than the typical american due to your training history so it doesn't have to pump as quickly to meet increased metabolic demands. It also depends on caffeine or other stimulant intake.

Essentially you are in too good of shape sorry.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
91_Aggie
AG
It just seemed weird to see 185 after only 1-2 minutes of them being on it.
wbt5845
AG
91_Aggie said:

It just seemed weird to see 185 after only 1-2 minutes of them being on it.

They're really out of shape
NoahAg
Also, I'd be skeptical of any HR reading that an elliptical or treadmill is giving. Those hand sensors never seem to work for me.
91_Aggie
AG
NoahAg said:

Also, I'd be skeptical of any HR reading that an elliptical or treadmill is giving. Those hand sensors never seem to work for me.
I wouldn't expect them to be completely accurate, but would expect them to be in the same overall range of working.

I have found that it depends on your grip to get them working. can't loosely grip them.
ptothemo
AG
All this seems like a lot of typing to tell us that you are in good shape #humblebrag
91_Aggie
AG
ptothemo said:

All this seems like a lot of typing to tell us that you are in good shape #humblebrag

It really wasnt. Ive been in much better shape before than now. I was just stunned that someone could get to a heart rate of 185 after about 2 minutes of cardio based on what my experience was.

Thought maybe chicks just had higher heart rates.
The Pilot
AG
Maybe she was really giving it hell and you were slacking?
MikesFamousJava
AG
Max heart rate is largely genetic, and the thumb rule using your age is often wrong.
wangus12
AG
While a lot of it is genetic you'd be very surprised on how close it gets. While its not exact, most folks tend to fall in the ballpark. I've run about 10k max exertion stress tests over the last 7 years and it happens daily that people max outwithin 5-10 beats of the estimate.
txags92
AG
My wife and I are both in our late 40s, and are in similar shape aerobically. The formula would predict both of us to have a max HR around 172. Her max HR is somewhere around 195 and mine is around 167. So yes, it is mostly genetic and is only right for something like 30-40% of the population. If you really want to use HR training, do a test and find out what yours is instead of relying on the formula. The rise and fall of your HR in response to exercise and how hard you can work at a given percentage of max are things that can be trained and used as a measure of fitness. Max HR is something you are stuck with and there is little to nothing you can do to increase it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.