Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Home Gym - What would you do?

2,166 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Hoss
Southplainsag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The wife and I are going to make a home gym in the 10X30 loft in our barn. Barn is not heated or cooled but is spray foam insulated.

We are thinking of putting a treadmill, elliptical and spin bike for cardio. I am mounting a TV for streaming workouts from an iPhone or iPad.

My questions to y'all...What kind of flooring should I install? Subfloor is 3/4 plywood.

What type of weights should I get (bowflex type machine or free weights)?

How would you heat or cool for the days the temperature gets extreme?

Anyone around Lubbock have any machines they would want to sell?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
AggieOO
Freeweights all the way.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the cold at all, it would definitely figure out some air conditioning.
Woods Ag
AG
No worries about cold or heat. You warm up in the cold and some good heat conditioning is good for soul
ATM9000
AG
Is the loft open or closed?
Potcake
AG
We have a Bowflex, power rack w/bench, free weights, bars, dumbells 15-50, resistance bands, and a couple of sand weight bags.
NoahAg
Rocky had an awesome setup in his barn in Rocky 4. You should do that.
Southplainsag02
AG
ATM9000
The loft is open on one side.

Would a cheap clearance vinyl flooring work for most of the space? Maybe some rubber or foam mats in certain places for sit-ups, etc...
P.U.T.U
AG
Get some tile blocks, horse mats from Harbor Freight, or something with a little padding yet hard.

Free weights, sleds, rope to climb, rower, aero bike, ski machine would be what I would want but everyone is different.
ATM9000
AG
Good to hear. Friend of mine in the NE had a similar set up but closed the loft for heat and that was a smelly ass room.
Vernada
AG
Sandbags.

https://bruteforcetraining.com/products/athlete-sandbag-kit-0-75lbs
P.U.T.U
AG
Forgot about sandbags, I use them all the time now. Just ordered the XL version
Hoosegow
I'm in the process of procuring equipment for my home gym and will proceed to build a shop/gym in the very near future. So far I have:

Prowler Sled
Yoke Bar
Farmers Carry Handles X2
Safety Squat Bar
Cambered bar
American press bar
Trap bar
Fat Pad Bench
Monolift with flooring (wood and mats)
Glute ham raise machine
Combo lat pull down/row machine
Dumbbells x2 5 pound to 100 pound (rubberized)
Spinning bike
Kettle bells - 4 different weights X2
Kettle bell rack
Dumbbell rack

I will be putting a 20-30 yard sidewalk 4' wide and will turf it to push the prowler on.

I will purchase a keg(s) and I want a war wagon. I need about $300 more of kettle bells.

I MAY get a power rack but since I can't press much anymore, I have plenty of dumbbells so I don't need it (I think).

I will be getting a heavy bag, speed bag and battle ropes for my better half.

Flooring will be 100% horse mats.
Class of '94
Pahdz
i can't recommend PowerBlock adjustable dumbbells enough
TRL-Ag
Hoosegow said:

I'm in the process of procuring equipment for my home gym and will proceed to build a shop/gym in the very near future. So far I have:

Prowler Sled
Yoke Bar
Farmers Carry Handles X2
Safety Squat Bar
Cambered bar
American press bar
Trap bar
Fat Pad Bench
Monolift with flooring (wood and mats)
Glute ham raise machine
Combo lat pull down/row machine
Dumbbells x2 5 pound to 100 pound (rubberized)
Spinning bike
Kettle bells - 4 different weights X2
Kettle bell rack
Dumbbell rack

I will be putting a 20-30 yard sidewalk 4' wide and will turf it to push the prowler on.

I will purchase a keg(s) and I want a war wagon. I need about $300 more of kettle bells.

I MAY get a power rack but since I can't press much anymore, I have plenty of dumbbells so I don't need it (I think).

I will be getting a heavy bag, speed bag and battle ropes for my better half.

Flooring will be 100% horse mats.

horse mats are the way to go!
Hoss
AG
100% agree on the horse mats. I have four of the 4x6 mats they sell at Tractor Supply in my garage. For the price they can't be beat in a gym.

Free weights are the way to go. I'd get a squat rack and bench, barbell, weights, 3-4 kettlebells and adjustable dumbbell set. You can do a lot with just those things. A lat pulldown machine would be nice too. With your plywood floor make sure you're not dropping heavy weights.

For machines I'd get an Assault bike and maybe a Concept 2 Rower.

I've got a pretty nice gym set up and spent a lot of time selecting good equipment. It wasn't cheap though. If you're interested I can send you a list of what I went with.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.