Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cyclists- you vs Usain Bolt in the 100m

3,985 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by 94chem
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You know how your mind wanders during long bike rides? Well, as I was biking through the sketchy part of town I wondered if I came across a bad situation how long it would take me to get out of the effective range of a pistol.

Then I got bogged down on if it were better to haul ass in a straight line, or go slower zigzagging. What's an effective amount of zigging va zagging? What speeds could I possibly again doing that?

Then I tossed the whole idea and wondered. Me vs Bolt. Both healthy. Both from a still start. No wind.

I'm not a good cyclist. My best sustained rate during a sprint tri was right at 18 mph. And that start would Murder me. I honestly don't think I would beat him.

Usain's WR 100m time is 23.35 mph.

What about you? What about a 200m?

Feel free to make fun of me!
chipotle
Drugs/no drugs?
AggieOO
He's Jamaican, so he will be drugged like a Russian.

It would be way to difficult too match the acceleration off the line on a bike for even a decent rider.
wangus12
AG
After to agree. You probably lose based on the acceleration alone. At least in the 100m
harge57
AG
100m is definitely a loss. Now the 200m I think I could make that interesting.
Quinn
AG
That's his WR time for the 200M
Swarely
Quote:

The record was 44.72 km/h (27.8 mph), seen during the final 100 meters sprint of the World Championships in Berlin on 16 August 2009 by Usain Bolt. (Bolt's average speed over the course of this race was 37.58 km/h or 23.35 mph.) Maximum human sprint speed is strikingly slower than that of many animals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footspeed
Quinn
AG
Doh, my bad. Was thinking seconds (which I would have been off on the 200m time anyways).
Pahdz
Not to sidetrack, but I know Jamaica has a shoddy testing program, but it appears their golden age of sprinting is fading fast. I'd think if their doping program was so good we'd be seeing no decline in their sprint program.
AggieOO
Or maybe they haven't been able to stay ahead of the testing, so they've not been able to continue doping to the same extent.

Zero chance bolt ran clean. This list of fastest times, with dopers crossed off, looks like the tour de France before lance was busted:

Endo Ag
AG
Man, what a chart!!! I've assumed for a long time that everyone was dirty, but never imagined Bolt was so alone at the top.

Back to the original question.

On a bike, you don't stand a chance vs the acceleration on foot over a short period. So far as strategy vs the guy with the gun. Ride away for 20 meters, then start to curve so you are a crossing target.

If I'm on foot running from the gun, I'd be a zig zagging mofo.

Maybe this should get tested at the next Texathalon!
Pahdz
Yeah I'd seen that before. You put any belief into the theory that the IAAF wouldn't punish him anyway because of his charisma and popularity being good for the sport.

Appears Coleman is taking over the new crown, dude is electric.
BigTimeAlum
AG
He'd probably be finished before I got clipped in.
harge57
AG
Yah he is THE star. I can totally see them covering up any positives test.
O.G.
Effective range depends on the weapon, but odds are that after 25yds he'd be missing pretty wide. After 50, feel free to stop, draw your own weapon, and shoot back. Plus, most of what he'd have to aim as is your butt...so there is that.

Oh, also, straight line as quickly as possible.
NoahAg
AggieOO said:

Or maybe they haven't been able to stay ahead of the testing, so they've not been able to continue doping to the same extent.

Zero chance bolt ran clean. This list of fastest times, with dopers crossed off, looks like the tour de France before lance was busted:

That chart is so bad it's comical. Yeah, anyone who watched the last world championships knows that the Jamaican "sports medicine program <cough, cough> has fallen off from their recent glory days. Their sprinting performances were just abysmal.
Swarely
SAWgunner said:

Effective range depends on the weapon, but odds are that after 25yds he'd be missing pretty wide. After 50, feel free to stop, draw your own weapon, and shoot back. Plus, most of what he'd have to aim as is your butt...so there is that.

Oh, also, straight line as quickly as possible.

reproag
AG
Zig zag is harder to hit then straight line at those speeds
YokelRidesAgain
AG
The only way I ever would have believed that Usain Bolt was clean is he had doped up on stanozolol, entered the All Drug Olympics and run the hundred meters in 9 seconds flat.

The Tour de France comparison is right, though. Everyone else in the Olympic 100 m finals was on drugs too, so what difference does it make?

Well, except for all the people who weren't willing to take steroids to become Olympic sprinters.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TurboVelo
AG
As the resident Track Cyclist, I can help shed some light on this. We do flying 200m and standing 125m & 250m regularly.

Pretty easy to beat him with a flying start. My 200m is under 11 seconds. I coached a 1 legged rider to the World Record for Paracycling at 12.6. So, even a 1 legged guy can beat him. Most beginning cyclists can do a 200m FS in under 16".

Standing start 200m is similar. The fastest 250m standing start at the last UCI World Championships was 17.302. That beats Bolt by quite a bit over 200m. In fact, quite a few people in the country can beat him at that distance, as it takes a sub 19" 250 to be top 10 at Nationals. I can do a sub 19, and a low 18 when peaked. Most beginning cyclists can do a 25" 250. Bolt's 250 time would be right around 25ish seconds, meaning with just a couple coaching sessions, a new competitive cyclist would most likely beat him.

The only thing that is really interesting is the 100m. At the recent UCI World Championships, the fastest 125m standing start was 10.819. Keep in mind, this was his 1/2 split from his 250m, which he did in 17.764. That means he covered the last 25m of the 125 in about 1.3 seconds. That means his 100m time was about 9.5. Considering he was "geared up" for a longer distance, with a premium at end speed, he could have geared down for faster acceleration, and more easily beaten Bolt. 10 of the 13 riders had a sub 18 250, and sub 11 125. Given the qualifying process for Worlds and that many great riders aren't given a starting spot because each country only gets 1, I'd venture that there are 25-50 riders that would make it a race. If you aren't in that top 50 of the world, you can't beat him at 100m.

So, for the original poster:
You can't beat him at 100m standing start
You can be trained to beat him at 200m standing start
You can easily beat him at 100m & 200m flying start.
culdeus
AG
Will the curve of the track factor here? On bike track races the curve is banked so you don't slip out while going at max effort. If Bolt is on a flat track and bike is on a curved track I would think it would be apples/apples but once you put a bike on a flat track you will start to have stability issues.
culdeus
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

The only way I ever would have believed that Usain Bolt was clean is he had doped up on stanozolol, entered the All Drug Olympics and run the hundred meters in 9 seconds flat.

The Tour de France comparison is right, though. Everyone else in the Olympic 100 m finals was on drugs too, so what difference does it make?

Well, except for all the people who weren't willing to take steroids to become Olympic sprinters.

It is really unusual how he has stayed clean. As with cycling now I think there are some really good masking agents at work. If there were actual therapeutic drugs out there (like-EPO) we would have known by now.

I mean with Lance once people figured out EPO was the likely drug of choice it still took years to test it. So it's not like 10 years from now whatever Bolt did won't be found, IF someone decides to out him.
Counterpoint
AG
Also, zigzag if you're getting shot with arrows.
94chem
AggieOO said:

I know it's unfair to any clean athletes, but 9.58 is still 9.58. Unless he's got a jet pack concealed, it's still just a human body doing incredible things.

Also, it's amazing that Ben Johnson's 9.79 isn't even on the list any more. At the time that was about the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. Today he'd just be considered a mediocre cheater.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.