Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Texas (Half) Marathon, Kingwood, 1/1/2018

1,273 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by The Pilot
coop-aero-06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm going to be in the Houston area to visit family over Christmas break and I'm planning to run the Texas Half Marathon in Kingwood on the morning of Jan 1. I know it's not ideal to run a race on New Years Day, since most folks will be up partying into the wee hours of the morning. But I want to try to grab a half marathon PR while I'm down at sea level. Anyone else in the Houston or B/CS area interested in running?

http://www.50statesmarathonclub.com/texas.html
ptothemo
AG
I'm registered and in. Gotta start 2018 off with some harware and hopefully a PR too.
The Pilot
AG
Good luck! What's your target?
coop-aero-06
AG
Under 1:25. Hopefully 1:22-1:23.
lima bean
AG
I'm in!
wbt5845
AG
hahaha no f-ing way.

I'm running a half later in January and will break 2 hours only by the grace of God.
aggiespartan
AG
wbt5845 said:

hahaha no f-ing way.

I'm running a half later in January and will break 2 hours only by the grace of God.
I'm hoping for 2:30 this weekend and maybe 2:15 later in January if my knee pain is gone. I'm so slow.
coop-aero-06
AG
aggiespartan said:

wbt5845 said:

hahaha no f-ing way.

I'm hoping for 2:30 this weekend and maybe 2:15 later in January if my knee pain is gone. I'm so slow.
Don't get down on yourselves. I have multiple half-marathons on my resume that are slower than 2 hours. It's pretty amazing how much you can improve with good, consistent training.

I've never run this course before, but it looks to be perfectly flat. And if there's cool weather, it should be a great race for a PR.
wbt5845
AG
Should be EXCEPT for the January 1 part!
coop-aero-06
AG
4 weeks until race day. Anyone else interested? Mexags, Sims, chrisfield?
coop-aero-06
AG
Race starts in 30 minutes! Awesome temps this morning; high 20's and low 30's. I just hope this north wind dies down a bit.
wangus12
AG
Good luck this morning man! I just finished the morning 5K in Allen and I still have ice in my beard. 14 degrees at the start of the race
coop-aero-06
AG
Great race this morning. New PR of 1:22. Course was a little bit short, and it was all on sidewalk and bike path so there was a lot of weaving through traffic, but the weather was perfect and it was a great way to start the new year! Now off to catch a flight back home.
ptothemo
AG
You and I have different definitions of perfect weather. I was good after a couple of miles, but the half hour before the race really tested how bad I wanted to be there. I'd rather it be cold than hot, but a 19 degree wind chill is not something I'm used to.

The course was definitely short. I came across the finish mat at 12.85 on my watch and just kept going to get to 13.1. I knew I was going to PR and wanted the full distance.

Came in at 1:44:24 on my watch, which is a 45 second PR for me. Not a huge number, but I'm happy for the solid start to 2018. Fun morning and good race overall.
sims05
AG
Your PRs are all starting to look a little suspect. Marathon PR on a point to point and half PR on a short course. Just kidding, great job, and hope the times keep falling for you.
coop-aero-06
AG
sims05 said:

Your PRs are all starting to look a little suspect. Marathon PR on a point to point and half PR on a short course. Just kidding, great job, and hope the times keep falling for you.

LOL, got called out! Official time was 1:22:07 at 12.95 miles on the gps, so I'm farily confident it still would have been 1:22:xx at 13.1. I actually kept running after the finish to try to get to 13.1 but they were yelling at me to stop so my watch was like 13.02 when I stopped it.
The Pilot
AG
Congrats Coop! You had a killer 2017.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.