Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Keeping up workouts with newborn twins

1,843 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TurboVelo
hurricanejake02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So... 3 week old twin girls. hurricanemama is staying home with them, while I go to work.

Usual workouts were Stronglifts 3x5 in the garage. Workouts could take up to 2 hours, due to needing 5-10 minutes between sets. SQ 425, BP 235, ROW 235, OHP 160, DL 385

Feeding schedule right now is: 7a, 9:30a, 12p, 2:30p, 5p, 8p, 11p, 3a

Both girls on the same schedule, and mama is letting me sleep through the 3a feeding so I can function at work. (We've had a grandparent available to help with night feedings so far, takes 45 minutes with 3 sets of hands to bottle feed two kids and for mama to pump).

Right now, I'm staying up until 11 to give mama some uninterrupted sleep from after the 8p feeding until 11p. We both get to bed about midnight, and I sleep until the 7a feeding, then off to work, and try to get home by the 5p feeding.

5p-8p is the only time mama and I are both home and awake together, outside of feeding times. Try to squeeze dinner and a shower for mama into this gap.

I can't stay up until 11 if I'm going to get a workout in before work. I won't give up the only time I've got with my wife after being gone all day.

Any newborn dads (or moms) have any suggestions? Anyone have a stronglifts-style workout (that's the equipment I have available) that breaks down into smaller time periods?
hurricanejake02
AG
...sorry for the stream of consciousness post... sleep has been a little sparse lately.
P.U.T.U
AG
Priorities have changed, take care of the family then workout when you can. Yes you will lose your gains but this won't last forever. Strength also comes back quick. Try to workout during lunch if you can
I Drink Your Milkshake
AG
I don't have twins but I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. The days of 2 hour workouts never were, but they certainly never will be now. For me, and I am not a size/heavy lifter type, my typical workout will be 30 min of high intensity effort wherever I can find the time. That generally consists of 10-15 min runs and then some body weight and dumbbell for the remaining 15 min. Pushups, pullups, situps, squats, lunges, thrusters, snatches, rows, burpees, etc. Generally it keeps me feeling "fit" and helps with the frustrations of raising a toddler. I am not a specimen of health but when you become a parent anything is better than nothing to keep your sanity. My recommendation is get used to shorter workouts so up the intensity. Not sure what that will do for your "gains" but I'm sure others could assist.
Matsui
AG
Just try to workout when you can. take stairs. Knock out some pushups and body weight stuff. Get some bands and do stuff in the living room. It is going to take some time.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Congrats on the twins. Main thing is that you won't be able to keep up the long workouts. Some things I did during the early stages on fatherhood was 1) workout in the garage (you have this down) 2) tried keeping workouts short and 3) workout early before work (sounds like you're committed to not using up your evening, good for you)

I have gone back and forth between the 5x5 program and beach body. Maybe this is time to try something new for a little bit. I used to do the T25 workouts by Shaun T (Insanity guy). 25-30 minutes is all you need. No equipment. I am sure there are tons of things you can do, as others have already chimed in on. I am just not someone who can just do exercises whenever I have a few free minutes.
agracer
AG
Quote:

hurricanejake02
AG
agracer said:

Quote:

You're absolutely right... Let me try again:

Attempted times of persuaded feeding, if not already mandated by piercing screams, are: 7a, 9:30a, 12p, 2:30p, 5p, 8p, 11p, 3a
TommyGun
AG
You could maybe try a HLM variation where you have some light and medium intensity workouts during the week. Those would probably be shorter than your current heavy sessions and you should still get enough volume from those workouts to have strength gains. If you schedule your heavy days on a weekend then you could probably get some time back during the week.

With your numbers you obviously have a good foundation of strength so I wouldn't expect a huge decline even if you have to piddle around for a few months while the babies are in their infancy.
ww
AG
I was right there with newborn twins 5+ years ago. I was in decent shape before they came, and even soon after, but declined steadily until recently.

My advice:
- Workout when you can, anything really, but your current lifting regimen is aggressive, so you may lose some.
- Sleep is important, once the kids get that down, it gets easier to find the time

Oh and CONGRATS!
bam02
AG
Your stronglifts numbers are impressive and I'm sure you hate to lose that progress but I agree with others that say you just have to accept that you can't keep that up. Enjoy meeting new goals with HIIT-type workouts that you can get done in 30 minutes. When the twins are older you should consider a double jogging stroller. I loved taking my kids for runs and liked the added resistance of pushing them up hills.

Congrats, by the way. I always thought having twins would be a blast.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I don't have twins, but have an 11 month old. You just have to fight through those 1st 3 months of hell and then it gets better and you can slowly find more and more time to get away for an hour where it won't torture your wife. HIIT is the way to go. You'll lose some mass probably, but at least stay in good shape.
MrsHouston98
Gone are the days of two hour workouts I think. You are still really new at all this so give it time. In a few months you will be able to find a groove. Right now just squeeze in things here and there as you can.
P.U.T.U
AG
The 5x5 program is awesome for strength building but you can stay plenty fit doing 30 minute workouts. Those are normally my hardest since they are non stop.
Ragoo
AG
Workout over your lunch break.

Almost 1 year old twins here.

I started swimming. Take about 1.5 hour lunch. Pack a lunch to work. Swim, shower, eat in office when I get back.

Quick 45 minute lift after work every other day, go direct from office.

Run early morning sat and sunday before everyone wakes up.
Disco Stu
AG
Father of two sets of twins here (3.5 years old and 15 months).

I workout at home as well, I get up early (4:30a - 4:45a) to get my workout in before anyone is up. Help out as much as you can, with twins there is no "Mommy only does this...", "Daddy only does this...".
BlueSmoke
I still remember doing push-ups in the kitchen waiting for a bottle to warm up (we were also young, poor, and the house was cold). Or never-ending alternating curls with the kid in a car-seat, trying to get him to sleep. You'll figure it out. It's a period of adjustment.

5x5 is great because you can track your progress and improvements. So just modify this behavior with other metrics.

200 Push-ups
300 air squats
100 pull-ups

Each day. Go from there. Might be a good chance to try new programs you'd never consider before.

*and tell your wife good job.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
wbt5845
AG
Just don't take 15 yeas off like I did and get fat af.
hurricanejake02
AG
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. Anyone have some insight into some HLM workouts? I like the idea of keeping a heavy day for the weekend and getting some lighter lifting in during the week... once I can remember which day it is.
TommyGun
AG
hurricanejake02 said:

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. Anyone have some insight into some HLM workouts? I like the idea of keeping a heavy day for the weekend and getting some lighter lifting in during the week... once I can remember which day it is.

HLM can vary a lot and some people have different interpretations of what is considered light or medium intensity. This article gives some examples of two guys on HLM programs and their differences.

https://startingstrength.com/training/heavy-light-medium
Aggietaco
AG
No help here, but congratulations. I've been having trouble finding time to workout with just a single 12 week old, but those first few weeks were a whirlwind and things are finally settling into some sort of schedule. Focus on your family now, figure out workouts in a few weeks. I blinked and my daughter will be 3 months old this weekend.
Max Power
AG
Unless you have a full gym at your house there's no great solution. It was months till I got back to an actual gym after our daughter was born. Your best bet is to figure out an alternative to what you were doing that you can squeeze in. Concentrate on body weight exercises that you can do throughout the day. If your sleep schedule is off I don't know that lifting heavy is something I would do anyway, higher rep is a lot easier to make work in my experience when you're tired.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Something I thought of doing if I were ever pressed for gym time was buying a battle rope and just doing that for 10 mins a day at home in addition to some simple body weight moves. That thing can kick your butt.
P.U.T.U
AG
If money allows look at picking up some 4x8 gym mats. Good for the kiddos to craw around on now and they are mobile. When they get older they can roll around on them, do some gym moves, and just be creative. Plenty of stuff you can do on them as well
Waltonloads08
AG
Disco Stu said:

I workout at home as well, I get up early (4:30a - 4:45a) to get my workout in before anyone is up. Help out as much as you can, with twins there is no "Mommy only does this...", "Daddy only does this...".

Bless you
Astroag
AG
I'm pretty sure Brent has some insight on this topic Jake

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
cjo03
AG
Disco Stu said:

Whatever you do, don't do what this guy did... and have another set of twins!

We had a surprise #3 18 months after our twins... if it were #3 AND 4 I'm not sure how we would have made it.
88planoAg
AG
This thread is lacking pics! Rule #1, people...especially the TWO sets of twins!
TurboVelo
AG
Slowly backing out of this place. Our youngest of 4 is about to turn 11. Light at the end of the tunnel. I don't need any surprises, much less twins. I hope it's not contagious...

We did have 3 under the age of 4 at one points, so I sympathize. Look for more efficiency. 2 hour workouts with long recovery intervals are not it. Look at more circuits, which is how I do my Stronglifts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.