Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bulletproof Coffee

3,285 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MooreTrucker
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard a podcast with Dave Asprey promoting his new book Headstrong. He was talking about how great his Bulletproof Coffee is. Anyone tried it? Real deal or hype?
bam02
AG
It's been discussed on here a bunch. To me it is hard to say. In a way it tastes great but it can also be just way too rich at times... even though I make it the same way each time. I do think it's great for starting your day as a meal substitute. Probably perfect for someone doing a keto diet.
P.U.T.U
AG
First time I tried bulletproof coffee I lost a few pounds shortly after, it cleared me out. I think it was during the second Joe Rogan / Dr. Rhonda Paul episode but she was talking about the effects of it long term (not good) and that you need to be using coconut oil, not MCT oil (MCT oil does not have Lauric acid).

Not a fan of Asprey either, he is on a half dozen prescription drugs and I think is still addicted to Modifinil which is similar to Adderall. When he tried getting off of all his drugs he said it felt like he was in a haze for that week. It is a very popular drug in Silicon Valley.

I am not a fan of the bulletproof thing and if you want results like Asprey then just take drugs. For some people the low carb high fat diet works well but there are better way to get your fuel

AggieChemist
AG
I like it... to me it kind of tastes like toast with the butter and the roasty coffee.

I make one once in a while but don't make a habit of it anymore. I drank it a lot while I was doing keto.
emando2000
AG
***Disclaimer: don't know anything about the Ausprey guy.***

I'm a fan of it too.

I went on a keto diet June 1....good results. I drink the coffee in the morning and I think it tastes better than any other type of black coffee. I also don't get coffee breath from it.
Seven Costanza
AG
A little coconut oil and butter in coffee tastes pretty good.
Agdorm12
AG
I think the butter needs to be grass fed otherwise its not good for you. Whole Foods makes it at the coffee bar as Mammoth coffee.
Tailgate88
AG
Interesting. I will give it a try. I practice IF and normally only drink coffee until 1:00. I have been listening to his podcast but did not know about the prescription drugs thing.
JamesBREI06
AG
Are you eating Ketogenically?
Whoop!
Tailgate88
AG
Not intentionally but definitely lo carb. I would like more info on Keto.
JamesBREI06
AG
Got it. To answer your initial question. I think the idea of drinking a ton of calories is counter productive to most people's goals. Bulletproof coffee is calorie dense and nutrient lacking. I could get into the benefits of MCTs for working out(coconut oil), but there really is no point to put butter in coffee.
Whoop!
bam02
AG
Sumlins Oreos said:

but there really is no point to put butter in coffee.

Oh yes there is. Taste with minimal to zero insulin response.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Pardon the other thread. Just saw this one.
MooreTrucker
AG
So you just drink the coffee and don't eat anything with it? OR regular breakfast with this stuff AS your morning coffee?
emando2000
AG
No food till Noon. This is my morning.
Coffee - 206 Calories(23g Fat)
Brain Octain Oil - 128 Calories (13g Fat)
1/2 tablespoon grass fed butter - 50 Calories (5.5g Fat)

I do a Keto diet so high fat is good for me.
Tailgate88
AG
Can you buy grass fed butter in B/CS?
MooreTrucker
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Can you buy grass fed butter in B/CS?
Look for Kerry Gold butter in the grocery store.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.