Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Youth hiking boots, hiking shoes, or trail shoes

925 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tmtxco
agcivengineer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My son and i are going to the rocky mountain high adventure base camp in colorado at end of june. We will do 2 days of hiking and may do a 14,000 ft summit. I need to get him some footwear. Ive always thought he would need hiking boots, but id rather get shoes so he can use them for other things. So, any suggestions from experienced hikers?
91AggieLawyer
AG
There is a big debate now between traditional hiking boots and trail running shoes. The boots crowd favors ankle support, the idea (true or not) that boots support backpacking better, better stability as elevation changes and the boots ability to handle water and mud better. The trail running crowd favors lighter weight and more comfort, and some are willing to give up the features mentioned above. Or, they don't agree that boots have that advantage.

My advice is that if your hiking is going to be on defined trails with few rocks/roots, either minimal elevation changes or gradual changes, and no expected mud, trail runners are the way to go. Otherwise, I'd take both and wear according to terrain/weather. Packing boots seems like it is adding a lot of weight for no reason, but I'd be hating life if I kept losing my running shoe in the mud.

Whatever you wear, break them in before you leave. Hit a state park or something.
Walter Kovacs
AG
What about a lightweight, athletic fitting boot from salomon or merrell? They're not really clunky but still offer some protection. Is your kid a lightweight? If he's athletic or agile I don't think it will matter too much at that age. Most kids are like goats. If he's on the heavy side or prone to accidents I would lean towards a boot.
Your Friend
What do the good folks at the adventure base camp suggest? If they 'ok' trail shoes, I'd say go for it. For me personally, the flimsy soles of trail shoes and rocks don't do my feet any good. For something in between, you might consider a lightweight hiking shoe with a sturdy vibram (or similar) sole. There's also a chance there still could still be some significant snow at elevation in late June so consider that as well. Which 14er would yall climb?
agcivengineer
AG
Thanks for the feeback. He is a lightweight kid, not exactly athletic, but not clumsy. I am anticipating a decent amount of climbing with a lighter backpack as we will only be out for 2 days (we have 2 days of whitewater, 1 day of mountain climbing planned as well that week).

I am leaning towards a hiking shoe (rather than boot and trail runner). They seem to offer stability with a stiffer sole, but not the ankle support or help in real muddy areas, but more support than a trail runner. I have had trouble with boots rubbing on my high ankle until I wore them a significant amount (more than wearing in).

tmtxco
AG
I put hundreds of miles on my trail shoes in the Rocky Mountains last year. I put less than 50 in my hiking boots, and that was only because I was in below-zero temperatures. Other than temperature, I never once wished I had hiking boots. The same goes for my 8-year old.

If you are covering a lot of miles, a stiff, rugged, heavy shoe may get old.

FWIW, I ran and hiked in La Sportiva Mutants because they have great grip on rocks, great tread, and held up with the rugged conditions. I also saw a lot of people in Salomon Speedcross shoes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.