Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running with a watch

3,404 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by digging tunnels
MidnightYell2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need suggestions on a watch for running. What I am interested in is something that will record GPS, heartrate, motion, etc. It would be nice it if had music as well with bluetooth for headphones.

I can't decide if I would like to have a watch that works directly with my phone or not (one that will show text messages, etc.) like a smart watch. Does anyone have recommendations on a smart watch versus a GPS watch?
The Pilot
AG
I'm a fan of the garmin forerunner watches. I use the 620 right now. Their newest watches allow texts to come thru and probably tons of other features.

For reviews - DC Rainmaker
AgEng06
AG
I believe the Samsung Gear S3 will actually do all what you are asking.
htxag09
AG
I have a garmin and love it. But if music is a huge issue to you, don't think garmin has any models that store music. I actually just bought Bluetooth headphones that also had an fm tuner. Worked well, but wasn't long before I enjoyed running without music so never wear them anymore.
MidnightYell2003
AG
AgEng06 said:

I believe the Samsung Gear S3 will actually do all what you are asking.
My worry is that the Samsung watch won't be as 'good' for GPS purposes compared to a Garmin watch. But, I have only been using my phone for GPS stuff so maybe it's good enough? Does the samsung watch have to be bluetooth-ed into the phone or can it be completely independent?
AgEng06
AG
I would assume the watch GPS will be as good as the phone GPS, but not sure either will be as good as the Garmin.

The AT&T version of the watch has LTE service, so you can actually run w/o your phone and have full functionality (receive calls, texts, etc.) - as far as I understand it.
htxag09
AG
I believe TomTom and Adidas have watches that'll store music. Still wouldn't think they're as good as a Garmin, though.
tamuags08
AG
I bought a Fenix 3 last year (they're coming out with the new model (Fenix 5, skipped the 4) later this month I believe). It has most of your requirements but lacks built in music. You will still need to run with your phone should you need music or podcasts.

That being said, this watch is awesome. I really only use it for running but it comes packed with the ability to do several activities out of the box (bike, swim, hike, ski, triathlon, etc). The GPS has been perfect. It does count steps and has an altimeter built in to record stair climbs (though I've had some accuracy issues with that specific function).

The watch also can mimic all of the notifications from your phone. I can see text messages, notifications for phone calls, emails, etc. I can also disable all of these notifications should I just want a normal GPS watch.

I can change the watch faces to my liking, as shown in a couple of examples below.

Desert Power
AG
I have the Fenix 3 HR version and it is a great GPS/fitness watch. Thumbs up!
Matsui
AG
A cheap option that is solid is the Garmin Forerunner 10.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/107143
vhz
I've had the TOMTOM multi sport forever and just switched to the spark because it has music and bluetooth so i don't have to carry my phone. I've only used it twice but it's been great. It has built in heart rate monitor, music, bluetooth, counts steps, calories, and has all the other swim bike and run features the multi sport had.
Phat32
AG
Garmin Forerunner 235 for me. All the Garmin watches are top notch, and the integration with their sensors is awesome.

Jaybird Freedoms for music.
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I bought a Withings Steel HR in February and have been happy with it. It doesn't have GPS but I run with my phone anyway and it works well with Runkeeper.

Heart Rate Monitor seems to work very well.

The bonus is that it is waterproof to 50 m and will track swimming.

It is a classic analog appearing watch with a small screen that can scroll through time/date, heartrate, step count, distance, calories burned.

under $200.
CDub06
AG
For the record, I just ordered my first watch. I decided on a refurb Garmin Vivoactive HR (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYVEZ0N/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I had $150 in amazon cards & thought this was the best option after my research. I only plan to use it when I run. I'll let y'all know how the refurb works out.
CDub06
AG
I'm a few weeks in on my refurb Vivoactive and it is great. Going refurb has been a great decision for me.
AggieOO
i'll second the refurb. I got a refurb Fenix 3 and its been great, and paid about half what they were going for.
c-jags
i got the 230 after a hefty price drop last week with amazon. took it on an elliptical this morning (shut up) and it pretty much nailed distance and strides. i'll take it on a run tomorrow.

so far i like.

the watch itself feels a little toyish but love everything else about it so far.

the fenix is a sexy watch but i just can't see myself laying down that much. that and the suunto spartan are beautiful watches to me.
agproducer
AG
I have a Garmin 620 as well. I like it. It works well with the heart rate monitor. I wish it counted steps so I could ditch my Fitbit Flex.

It does Race, Run and Bike profiles and works well syncing to Garmin Connect. If you could get one on sale, I'd grab one.

I did see the Garmin 235 on sale at Academy this weekend.
c-jags
agproducer said:

I have a Garmin 620 as well. I like it. It works well with the heart rate monitor. I wish it counted steps so I could ditch my Fitbit Flex.

It does Race, Run and Bike profiles and works well syncing to Garmin Connect. If you could get one on sale, I'd grab one.

I did see the Garmin 235 on sale at Academy this weekend.

The 230 is $150 on amazon.

I searched through multiple Best Buy's and Academy and couldn't not find one to try on or look at anywhere. Went off a guy at church who had one to play with.
Phat32
AG
Worth it for the built in HRM on the 235, IMO. Nice to have the option to not have to wear the strap.
htxag09
AG
Is Amazon the go to for Garmin refurbs?

I have a Forerunner 235 and the battery is to where I have to charge it every night. I'm thinking I want to upgrade to a Fenix or Forerunner 735. The wife's company pays for a decent amount of a watch as an activity tracker, but don't know if these are included. If not, I'm thinking I want to go the refurb route....
wcb
AG
Got a 735 for Christmas and love it. Prices for them should come down now that the 935 is out. Main difference will be battery life.

My wife has a Fenix 5s arriving tomorrow. I'll let you know how she likes it. Seeing how DC Rainmaker referred to it as the best watch Garmin ever put out I expect good things.
AggieOO
htxag09 said:

Is Amazon the go to for Garmin refurbs?

I have a Forerunner 235 and the battery is to where I have to charge it every night. I'm thinking I want to upgrade to a Fenix or Forerunner 735. The wife's company pays for a decent amount of a watch as an activity tracker, but don't know if these are included. If not, I'm thinking I want to go the refurb route....
i got my refurb off a Groupon directly from Garmin. Included a 1 year warranty from Garmin.

I know the Fenix 5 is out, but the 3 is awesome.
NoahAg
Quote:

I have a Forerunner 235 and the battery is to where I have to charge it every night.
Call Garmin about replacing it. If you're lucky they'll do it at no cost. For their customer service, I'm a Garmin fan for life. I'm on my 3rd 405. I cracked the screen on the first. They replaced it for about $65. Then the battery started going bad on that one after a few years. They replaced it at no cost. The 405 is not as fancy as the new models, but it works great. Only downside is no bluetooth.
AggieOO
until i got this Fenix 3, I was still using my garmin 405. Battery still lasts 6+ hours with GPS on.
htxag09
AG
Good advice. I spoke to a rep at the houston marathon but he was pretty worthless. I'll give them a call before I do anything.
htxag09
AG
I owe you a beer!

Just got off the phone with them, probably the most pleasant customer service call I've ever had. She's emailing me some troubleshooting instructions but anticipates they won't fix it so is just getting me a watch in the mail and I'll return mine (or the "new" one if the steps do fix it). Extended my warranty so it's no charge. I do have to pay a deposit since I opted for the exchange vs repairing mine, but it'll be refunded when they receive mine.
c-jags
Garmin hasn't really had a miss to me. I've had 3 of their products and other then my vivosmart going through hell on a few fishing trips and the band decaying, their products have all stood up amazingly well.

Apple Watch could cook bacon every morning and I'd never jump off a garmin.

If they could just not charge 11ty billion for the fenix models...
AggieOO
c-jags said:

If they could just not charge 11ty billion for the fenix models...
i picked up my refurb 3 for $240, which I thought was a steal. I'm sure there will be more deals with the 5 out now.
c-jags
Fenix 3 is really pretty but a bit too big as a running watch to me. That would be more of a hiker camping every day wear.

Crazy that it's $240 now as that was the price of the 230 5 weeks ago when I started looking. The band on my MS Band2 ironically cracked. Great watch... terrible form factor.
digging tunnels
AG
lot of garmin watches available thru Groupon for a pretty good discounted price
NoahAg
htxag09 said:

I owe you a beer!

Just got off the phone with them, probably the most pleasant customer service call I've ever had. She's emailing me some troubleshooting instructions but anticipates they won't fix it so is just getting me a watch in the mail and I'll return mine (or the "new" one if the steps do fix it). Extended my warranty so it's no charge. I do have to pay a deposit since I opted for the exchange vs repairing mine, but it'll be refunded when they receive mine.
Excellent! I'm pretty sure that's how it played out with mine. I think I received my "new" one before my old one even got back to them.
Quote:

i picked up my refurb 3 for $240, which I thought was a steal. I'm sure there will be more deals with the 5 out now.
Wow. I may have to keep my eyes open. I had been looking at the 230/235 a while back, around the same price. Based on my experience with Garmin, I'd have no problem buying a refurb.
AggieOO
Groupon for the 230

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-garmin-forerunner-230-gps-running-watches-1?utm_source=fbc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US_MB_SOM_FBC_TIM_TTT_RS_CBP_CH1_NBR_x Percent2Afb6071788692767&bypass=true
digging tunnels
AG
AggieOO said:

Groupon for the 230

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-garmin-forerunner-230-gps-running-watches-1?utm_source=fbc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=US_MB_SOM_FBC_TIM_TTT_RS_CBP_CH1_NBR_x Percent2Afb6071788692767&bypass=true

thinking about getting this. right now there is a 10% off code til the 28th. Code is "family."

Is it assumed all the ones on groupon are refurbished? Right now can get this on amazon brand new for the same price

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B016PAPI96/ref=olp_twister_child?ie=UTF8&mv_color_name=1&qid=1493177783&sr=8-8
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.