Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

What should I eat for a clean bulk?

1,735 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by w8liftr
mrmill3218
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Right now I weigh about 170-175 and I think I'm way too thin.

About a year ago I got up to 196 lifting and eating everything and was the strongest I've ever been.

However, I was fat and I hated it. I quickly slimmed back down.

My question is: what should I eat so that I add a bunch of muscle but also so that I don't get a huge belly?
wangus12
AG
Chicken breast. All of the chicken breast
Hoosegow
Steroids
kyleolsenreed
AG
Note: I'm not a nutritionist

I would start here:

- Consume your bodyweight in grams of lean protein (anything under ~10% fat content). Supplement with protein powder if that's a lot to eat. Ex: You weight 185#, eat 185 g of protein.
- A handful of veggies each meal.
- One serving of fat at each meal (handful of nuts / some avocado)
- Keep your carbs clean (whole wheat, whole grains, fruit, etc...) No added sugar and keep it high in fiber. I'd say eat just under your bodyweight in carbs on lifting days. Eat the majority of your carbs before and after your workouts. Maybe half that number on rest days.

That should get you off on the right foot and you can adjust as the weeks go on. If you're not gaining weight, eat more healthy fats. If you're gaining too fast, eat less fats (or reduce your cheat meals if you're doing that too much.)

Honestly as long as you're eating the right foods, keeping your protein intake high, and your carbs are in check, you should be putting on muscle rather than fat.
gigemJTH12
AG
inhale as much quinao and chicken breast as you possibly can.
P.U.T.U
AG
For most people just eating clean will work, stay away from sugar and processed food. Steak, eggs, fish, nuts, high protein dairy, etc. should be your staples.
bigtruckguy3500
P.U.T.U said:

For most people just eating clean will work, stay away from sugar and processed food. Steak, eggs, fish, nuts, high protein dairy, etc. should be your staples.
I think this is spot on. If you try eating 8-10 servings of vegetables (not starches) and 2-4 servings of fruit per day, along with avoiding heavily processed foods, and I think you'll actually find it hard to put on fat (or even weight).

You could also try intermittent fasting. But again, depending on how many calories you'll need, it may be hard to get enough calories in to gain as much muscle as you have potential for. But that's true for clean bulking in general - you won't gain as much muscle, but not as much fat either.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
carbs is going to help you bulk...

think about it....carbs help secrete insulin, which is an anabolic hormone...

RightWingConspirator
AG
You and I have the same issues. I'm 6'1 and typically hover around 175 lbs. I'm now weighing in at about 181 lbs. I eat very fatty foods like egg salad for lunch, sausage and cheese for breakfast. I mix my protein shakes with heavy whipping crme, etc. I do not eat carbs, however, but I'm not fat. I have a six-pack and am very muscular. I focus on getting my calories up with foods loaded with calories. I don't worry about lean proteins or any of that. I've stayed lean and muscular while putting on weight by avoiding the carbohydrates.

That's how I do it. It may not work for others, but it works for me.
w8liftr
It's always best to wash all your food prior to cooking/preparing it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.