Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

MS150

3,005 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RO519
RO519
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This year will be my first time riding in it. From what I have seen, the time to start training is now. I bought an entry level bike last year and put about a 1000 miles on it and did one sprint triathlon. I am considering upgrading to a slightly used nicer bike, but that should be a different thread.

Any one else riding in the MS150 this year? If so, what team, and what is your training plan? Also chime in if you are using Strava.
drewbie08
AG
Training for a half ironman in June. Will do it again this year as a big training weekend. As far as my training plan, I will probably average 120-140 miles/week leading up to the MS150.

The MS150 is a lot of fun if you're in shape and you know what to expect. Most of the course is very scenic as well.
txags92
AG
First of all, thanks for riding and fundraising! I have MS, so thank you very much!

I am riding for the 13th year, 11th since I was diagnosed. I am riding with Ol Army Cycling and I highly recommend them as a team. I am also signed up for the ready2roll training series. It is a series of 12 or so fully supported groups rides of slowly increasing distance and difficulty. I am well beyond the point where I really "need" the training series, but it is a very easy way to get a bunch of cool fully supported rides for a very reasonable price. I typically don't have time to ride outdoors during the week, so I do spinning classes 2-3 times per week and then a long ride on Saturday. For the last two years my wife and I have been teaching spinning at the gym on Thursdays and Sundays so it makes it pretty convenient. Now is a great time to start with rides in the 20-30 mile range and add ~5 miles or so per week along with some hills eventually.
htxag09
AG
A buddy wants me to ride with him and I really want to but am worried about not training. I'm running the houston marathon next week so am in shape and working out, but haven't spent a minute on a bike. Think I can start training early February and be prepared? I'll add, I have 0 cycling experience. Been wanting to get a road bike just couldn't pull the trigger with the ****ty O&G market.
txags92
AG
If you have the fitness level to run a marathon, you can for sure do it starting your training in February. The MS150 isn't until the end of April this year, so that is a full 3 months to train. You won't be real fast, as the cycling specific muscles will take time to work on, but you will be fine fitness wise. The main part for you will be getting as much saddle time as possible to get your butt, hands, neck, and shoulders used to you being on a bike for several hours.
RO519
AG
I agree with txags92. You've got the fitness part down for sure. It will be a matter of conditioning your body for long hours in the saddle. I still haven't had a ride over 35 miles, so I am worried about that myself...
AggieOO
this will be year 5 for us. hopefully we actually get to ride both days this year since the past 2 years we've only gotten 1 day in due to weather.

I live in austin, so its really just about saddle time so I'm comfortable all day. Day 1 is almost completely flat. Day 2 has some hills, but I ride hills all the time. If you are in houston, I'd suggest riding some bridges or something to simulate some hills.
txags92
AG
I know being from Houston, I have a different definition of "hills" than somebody from Austin, but I'd say it is nearly completely flat until about 8 miles before lunch on Day 1. Then it is rolling hills the rest of the day. Nothing terribly long or steep, but the stretch from Bellville to LaGrange you are always either going up or down to some degree, with the 6-8 mile stretch heading into Fayetteville being the worst of it.
RO519
AG
I'm in Clutch City as well, and from what I've found, the best way to simulate hills is to ride into a stiff head wind all day. LOL
AggieOO
txags92 said:

I know being from Houston, I have a different definition of "hills" than somebody from Austin, but I'd say it is nearly completely flat until about 8 miles before lunch on Day 1. Then it is rolling hills the rest of the day. Nothing terribly long or steep, but the stretch from Bellville to LaGrange you are always either going up or down to some degree, with the 6-8 mile stretch heading into Fayetteville being the worst of it.
good call. perspective from a flatlander is probably better than mine.
MooreTrucker
AG
I'll be doing the Cactus & Crude from Midland to Lubbock in July. This will be my 7th one. I cannot wait to get my bike down and hit the road!!
End Of Message
AG
In. Will be my 6th MS150.
88planoAg
AG
I'll echo saddle time, but also add that doing group rides is pretty important as well, to get used to riding with a group around you of varying levels of expertise. Know that when you do an MS ride, a segment of the riders will be on a bike for almost their first time ever. Riding in, around and through crowds (unless you can blow past all those and get out in front of everyone) is a must.

BreNayPop
AG
So beginners actually ride the full MS150?!? How much time would be needed to get into good enough shape (im thinking towards next year)? Can anyone recommend a decent and relatively inexpensive road bike?
MooreTrucker
AG
BreNayPop said:

So beginners actually ride the full MS150?!? How much time would be needed to get into good enough shape (im thinking towards next year)? Can anyone recommend a decent and relatively inexpensive road bike?
Just get out there and ride as much as you can and you'll be fine. There will be plenty of "not fast" folks just riding for the enjoyment of it.

As for decent and inexpensive, go to your local bike shop, not Walmart or Academy but an actual bike shop, and ask. If they're any good at all, they want more folks on bikes and they'll help you pick out a good bike for you and your wallet.
BreNayPop
AG
I live in middle of nowhere... nearest bike shop is 3 hrs away. Any amazon suggestions? Would a mtn bike be enough?

And do people do these kind of things alone? Or do you usually go for a group?
BreNayPop
AG
And how competitive is the midland to lubbock ride? Can a beginner do that one?
End Of Message
AG
BreNayPop said:

I live in middle of nowhere... nearest bike shop is 3 hrs away. Any amazon suggestions? Would a mtn bike be enough?

And do people do these kind of things alone? Or do you usually go for a group?

Buying a road bike is sorta like buying a new suit. Find one that fits your wants and budget; then get it tailored to meet your body size. Having an improperly fit bike on a ride like MS150 will not be pleasant.

Also, the have seen mountain bikers on the ride before and they all looked gassed/pissed. Mountain bikes are not meant to be ridden 80 miles/day on asphalt.

Find a good bike shop (even if you have to drive 3 hours). Purchase and get them to fit it to your frame.

Trek, specialized and giant all make decent beginner/intermediate bikes.
BreNayPop
AG
Thanks for the advice. I will work towards that but use my mtn bike to start.
88planoAg
AG
You can ride the MS150 alone, many people do. The MS organization provides tents and places for people to overnight if you don't belong to a team.

You can do the MS150 on a mountain bike but it will suck. The first year my husband and I did it on hybrids, and we rode in to Austin with the motorcycle cops who were sweeping the route for the last riders. Sucked.

You can get most of your training done by yourself, but you really need experience with riding around other people too before the MS ride. Negotiating in and out of traffic is an important skill.
End Of Message
AG
Riders unfamiliar with riding in a "peloton" (main group of cyclists) are generally what makes the MS dangerous. I'll mimic he last posters advice--learn to ride in a group; youll learn a ton.
BreNayPop
AG
Suggestions how to learn if you have to train alone?
BreNayPop
AG
And i would not expect a beginner to be in that main group very long...
MooreTrucker
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Riders unfamiliar with riding in a "peloton" (main group of cyclists) are generally what makes the MS dangerous. I'll mimic he last posters advice--learn to ride in a group; youll learn a ton.
And if you can't do the group thing, just hang back at the start area and let the craziness go out ahead of you.
88planoAg
AG
BreNayPop said:

And i would not expect a beginner to be in that main group very long...
You probably won't. I NEVER am with the main group - I am and always will be slow, even if I'm totally trained and conditioned. If you hang back, though, you will always always be surrounded by people. The only way to avoid that is to be with the yahoos at the front. The people who are around you not in the front during an MS ride (speaking of the BP here, as the others are not as populated - I've also done DFW and San Antonio) will be those who are riding for the cause (as opposed to serious cyclists) and might be beginner riders. Then there is a pretty constant stream of faster riders passing on your left, (and some idiots passing on the right) at least until lunch each day.

I crashed once in the first 16 miles of an MS ride because the idiot in front of me crossed her tire with the person in front of her and went down. I went down too because I couldn't avoid her - it was too crowded. Since then I've been super cautious of who is around me and will slow down if I think inexperienced riders are immediately in front or beside me.

Anyway, not to scare you but that is why I say some of your riding should be with a group...not to learn how to take turns drafting as with a peloton, but to learn what it is like to be surrounded by other cyclists.

The best way to do that is to plan to travel to a couple of charity rides during the riding 'season'. Those always have people of varying abilities and have lots of different miles to choose from. There is no way to know what it is like until you do that, and no way to do that on your own.
BreNayPop
AG
Thanks plano... that matches my thoughts and concerns.
MooreTrucker
AG
I've never done the BP MS150 or anything quite that big (the Shiner GASP is the biggest I've done) but I've never had any issues like that. The only times I've ever crashed have been my own fault.
88planoAg
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I've never done the BP MS150 or anything quite that big (the Shiner GASP is the biggest I've done) but I've never had any issues like that. The only times I've ever crashed have been my own fault.
In 24 years of riding that is my one and only crash. It was bad, up and over the handle bars. Rode to the first (FIRST!) rest stop in a SAG to get my bike checked out and a medical assessment and to buy a new helmet. Rode the rest of the ride....I was pissed. The girl popped up, grabbed her bike and went on her merry way. Didn't say sorry.
culdeus
AG
Yeah, I think there is some misconception. The MS150 is not a race, nor do they support it like a race. People will be finishing Day 1 from 4 to 12 hours.

The overwhelming majority of riders are really casual weekend warrior types that stay in decentish shape, or are in relatively bad shape.

Nobody really treats it like a race, I mean there will be a group that is sort of try hard that will form up, but that happens in all the charity rides. If you are comfortable riding in a group then you'll be able to exert next to no energy getting thru day 1 because there are so many people to ride with.

I did 3 or 4 of these and sort of quit. It was a lot of fun but coming in from Dallas basically took 3 full days to execute all the logistics. And they changed the registration one year and I just decided to say F it.

RO519
AG
What are the logistics of getting your bike back to Houston (where I live) after you get to Austin? Do I need to drive my truck to Austin and leave it for the weekend and drive home Monday?
AggieOO
RO519 said:

What are the logistics of getting your bike back to Houston (where I live) after you get to Austin? Do I need to drive my truck to Austin and leave it for the weekend and drive home Monday?
ride it home
AggieOO
just kidding. i've never been on that end, but they drive them back. for those of us in austin, they load our bikes into wal-mart trailers and drive them to houston. assuming the same thing happens for you houston folk.
mm98
AG
Did it 4 out of the last 5 years, but will have to miss it this year. Will do a lot of the training rides but the weekend of the MS we have other family plans.

Best of luck to you all riding. Please have fun, be smart, be courteous, and stay safe. Tailwinds to all!!!

Rutedown
You can pay a fee to have your bike trucked back. Price wasn't bad
Rutedown
Like the others have said and I tell new riders it's just getting your butt use to being in the saddle for hours. If you don't, it will be very sore and uncomfortable your second day. Also a little leg strength training really helps and makes it that much more enjoyable when going up the hills.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.