Ceramic tint - educate me

4,323 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by chris1515
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Summer in Texas and I'm sick of my car being so damn hot!

I'm thinking about getting ceramic tint installed. My current car, 2024 Land Cruiser, has tint already.

What should I know about this stuff? Any brands to avoid?
For windows with "wires" in them, antenna/defrost, does that matter?

Would you do all the windows? I was a little unsure about the back window and the rear side windows.

I really think the windshield would help a lot.

Any ideas what that should cost?
Any recommendations in the Dallas/Lewisville/Grapevine areas?
Sweet Kitten Feet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Do it. All windows, including windshield. Don't think twice about this.
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If by tint you mean from the factory, that's just colored glass.

Not real heat deflection.

Do ceramic, all around, including the moonroof.
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it available in clear? I see it called 'tint' and I don't really want my windshield tinted, just cooler. The trucks I see with a dark windshield are the ones with the carolina squat and the cars with it look like drug dealer cars. That's not really my look.
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes. My windshield is clear and ceramic tinted.
BQ2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got 70% on my windshield and you can't even tell it's there. It's made a huge difference in how the car feels when driving.
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I also have 70% on windshield, but may go 50% next time. Drug dealer cars are my look.
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do any brands have problems? Or if I go with an established company, I should be fine?
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just find some recommendations on local shops. Pretty sure the product is fairly homogenous.

They'll have you in and out in an afternoon.
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Silvy said:

I also have 70% on windshield, but may go 50% next time. Drug dealer cars are my look.

Says the guy with no actual cars.
oldarmyag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
windshields crack
unless it's only like 200 I would skip tinting the WS
aggieforester05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Silvy said:

I also have 70% on windshield, but may go 50% next time. Drug dealer cars are my look.

I had 50% on my last truck and it was perfect. I've got some to install myself on my current truck once it gets out of the body shop.

That being said, I can easily spot other vehicles with wind shield tint, even 50% while going down the road. The darkness in front of the registration sticker is a dead giveaway and I'm seeing it more frequently as of late.

I suspect troopers have it on their radar (no pun intended), so it's a good way to get pulled over.
Goat Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the benefits of ceramic tint but not sure I would tint the windshield next time. If you wear polarized sunglasses you can see a bit of colorization at times that was annoying to me.
Texanick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for a place in Austin?
stevopike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
sunbusters off 183 did a few of my cars
@NFLPlayerProps
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mandatory upgrade. Be willing to pay up for a top tier install. Read a lot of reviews.
offshoreAg00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got ceramic 5% all the way around and 50% on the windshield. Helps immensely with heat rejection. You can get 70% on the windshield and not notice it but still get the heat rejection benefits.
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
oldarmyag95 said:

windshields crack
unless it's only like 200 I would skip tinting the WS

Well....that is about what it runs.
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fabian wouldn't ceramic my windshield. He found a small crack and said the ceramic will cause that small crack to expand. That's what he told me anyway.
rme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did mine at Earmark in Plano.
sanitariex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did 15% all around and 55% on the windshield, would never go any different now that I have it
HockeyAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
+1 Do it all and the windshield. I've got 50% on the windshield and it's amazing how much cooler my lap is in my truck compared to driving around in the wife's car. Night and day.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those that do the windshield, what do you do about registration stickers? Thats gotta eff up the film every time you have to remove one doesnt it?
chris1515
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are static cling windshield stickers you can buy. You stick the sticker to this thing and then it adheres to the windshield using static cling.
aggiedata
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

For those that do the windshield, what do you do about registration stickers? Thats gotta eff up the film every time you have to remove one doesnt it?


https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01466E0GS/?coliid=I31FAC62LF492E&colid=9H3SCWRRM611&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_1569JRPYM0F5WNS36XQS


Lynch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The windshield tint usually has a spot for toll passes and registration so it won't mess up the tint.
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just fold a small part of one corner of the sticker back onto itself to "dog-ear" it so it doesn't stick to the window. Then it's easy to peel off when necessary.
Silvy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I use Sticker Shield for all registration/tolls, regardless if the windshield has/does not have tint
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And I agree with and love my windshield tint. Even with Air80 on the windshield (versus some darker ones) I get a significant reduction on heat inside the cab. I also have the front side windows at 15% and back sides and rear at 5%, plus a 5% brow.
El_Guero512
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jorge at best window tint shop in cedar park
El_Guero512
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have 5% back windows and 15% up front and Air 80 on windshield. My truck has black interior and its help a lot. Steering wheel doesnt get hot like it use too. I also carry a Covercraft windshield sunscreen if I am parking with no cover.
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
El_Guero512 said:

I have 5% back windows and 15% up front and Air 80 on windshield. My truck has black interior and its help a lot. Steering wheel doesnt get hot like it use too. I also carry a Covercraft windshield sunscreen if I am parking with no cover.

Are you me? My truck and sunscreen combo is the exact same.
Blonde Coffee Beans
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have been adding the "brow" that window tinters offer when having your car windows tinted and like it. Helps cut off some of the sun while driving into it
"I don't care about your feelings OP. I'm not going to let fandom replace reason, thought, and history"
hunterjr81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it still worth getting ceramic if we have covered parking or use sun shades every time we park?
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes. Your car is in the sun when driving. It's always taking on heat.

We did 5% on our wagoneer and although it feels like a movie theatre in the back, it's noticeably cooler.
Page 1 of 2 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.