2013 3.5 Ecoboost - Drill Intercooler Weephole and Other Questions

638 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bronco6Gen
BigNastyNate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently purchased a 2013 F150 3.5 Ecoboost as a first vehicle for my son. Truck has about 71k miles on it and is about as clean as you can ask for inside and out. Previous owner appears to have put on a few aftermarket parts, just looking for opinions on the parts and also opinions on drilling the intercooler weephole.

So first - weephole drilling to help drain intercooler? I'm sure this was discussed around here, hole does not appear to be drilled currently. Any reason to not drill it?

Performance Parts we've found so far:

-Magnum Force stage-2 dual 3.5 in cold air intake system with pro 5R media - looks like a fancy K&N kit or something along those lines

-Silver bullet throttle body spacer

-Magnaflow street series cat-back performance exhaust system

Any other bolt-ons that'd be easy to identify?

Any way to tell if he added a tune along the way?
MouthBQ98
AG
Exhaust is fine, doubt it has much effect being behind the cats.

Not sure the other parts really do much at all. Probably no harm though.

The weep hole probably matters. When I drilled the one in mine, about half a pint of cruddy liquid drained out. That doesn't need to be accumulating in there I am sure.

I also put an inexpensive catch can on mine. I check it every 3-4 weeks or so a pour out a few Oz of oil that would have blown back into the intake to become carbon deposits.

325,000 miles and still going strong.
BiggiesLX
Do not go past 5k on oil changes.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fwiw, I change it when the indicator tells me to and…325,000 miles.

I think people that drive it harder or more aggressively and spin the turbos more to higher rpm may have to change more often.
MTTANK
AG
I have a 2012 with 200k miles on it. Drilled her out and as others have said, there was oil and crud in it. These engines like to shear oil, so I would change at 5-6k mile intervals. I also suggest changing plugs every 60k miles or so. No chatter and I'm on my original timing set.
Bronco6Gen
The 2-stage air intake is MORE reason to drill the weep hole, especially if you live in a humid location.

Recommend a catch can.

With regards to installed tunes...you need FORScan, and the cables to hook it up (Amazon), then go to Ford and get your As Built data...https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

This gives you all the FORScan settings from when you vehicle left the factory (you need your VIN)...then compare the original FORScan data to the current data, and you can see if anything was changed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.