2022 vs. 2024 Honda Odyssey

1,869 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by agracer
victory lapper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks to all who have weighed in on a previous thread, I think my wife and I have switched our focus to a Honda Odyssey moving forward.

Question for the board to weigh in on. In looking at different models, I've come across a 2022 Odyssey with 31k miles for $38,500. At the same dealership, they have a 2024 Odyssey for $46,900.

I've never bought a new car so the thought of starting feels a little unnerving. But I'd love to hear from the board what they think of this. Is the additional ~$8k worth going with a new car that has no previous owner, mileage, AND comes with the warranties? Are the new car warranties worth it?

I'm going to put down $20k regardless so the monthly payment isn't that far off, maybe $100-$150 or so depending on where the financing lines up.

Would love your thoughts and wisdom on this. We aren't looking to make a quick decision either, this is just right here in my city that I can go and see with my own eyes.
RightWingConspirator
AG
For $8 more, I'd go new and get the warranty. We have a 2019 that we bought new. No regrets.
mosdefn14
AG
Did they fix the AC on the 2024s? If not, the correct answer is neither of you have kids in the backseat and live anywhere it gets above 90 for more than a month at a time.
'03ag
mosdefn14 said:

Did they fix the AC on the 2024s? If not, the correct answer is neither of you have kids in the backseat and live anywhere it gets above 90 for more than a month at a time.
+1

We had a 2018 Odyssey Elite. It's a good car but the lack of ceiling vents is annoying. Car has to run a long time to cool off. Cylinder deactivation is a nuisance on the highway and a maintenance problem. We liked our 2021 Sedona a lot more.

My opinion

Sienna/Carnival > Hybrid Pacifica > Odyssey >>>>>>>>> Regular Pacifica

Between Sienna and Carnival it would just come down to how much I wanted a hybrid, or valued the Toyota reliability. Carnival is nicer inside with better tech.
mosdefn14
AG
Carnival here. Love the vehicle. Hate Kia dealerships.

To keep the 100k mile warranty valid you have to prove you kept up with maintenance on the Carfax or whatever. The Kia dealership near my house is a clown show and schedules out 3-4 weeks for oil changes and walk-ins take about 4 hours. The next closest is 30m away which kills half a day between drive and wait.
'03ag
mosdefn14 said:

Carnival here. Love the vehicle. Hate Kia dealerships.

To keep the 100k mile warranty valid you have to prove you kept up with maintenance on the Carfax or whatever. The Kia dealership near my house is a clown show and schedules out 3-4 weeks for oil changes and walk-ins take about 4 hours. The next closest is 30m away which kills half a day between drive and wait.
FYI it doesn't have to be a dealer for it to show up on carfax. Find a good local shop
bobinator
AG
We heard so many complaints about the air vents that we scratched the Odyssey of our list completely when we were shopping.

We also ended up with the Carnival EX. Love it. Probably would have preferred the Sienna because of Toyota's reliability but we were shopping in 2022 with a hard deadline and those damn things were impossible to find.
Roger350
AG
Overall, the Odyssey is a Pilot with sliding doors. Same powertrain, same chassis, it has sliding doors, is lowered, and maybe has a slightly stretched wheelbase. Thinking a new Odyssey is going to fair better than your Pilot in 10 years is probably not accurate. Although anything you buy will have its problems if it makes it 10 years.

I forgot about all the complaints about sub-standard AC.

Price is the only compelling reason to consider an Odyssey. It is behind all the other vans in everything, and smacks of Honda's strategy to milk a product until huge market share losses force them to upgrade, which they should have done 2 years ago.

Honda and Toyota must have the same marketing department. The strategy works better for Toyota because they brainwash their fanboys with a reliability rating and convince them the lack of features is a pro-reliability feature worth paying extra for.

Good luck with whatever you decide. As to your original question here, I bet financing rates will make buying the brand new van only marginally more expensive, so I would try to deal like crazy on that one and get price separation as low as possible and buy the new one.
TSJ
AG
We really like our 2023 sienna. We have it about a year now, I think about 25k miles with no issues.

I really love being able to idle the car with napping kids and not having to worry about burning a ton of gas. It's pretty perfect for this time in our life. Just wish the kids wouldn't trash it so quickly.
GTIAG09
AG
2021 Odyssey here with 47K trouble free miles. No ac issues (knock on wood) with front facing kids in the second row complaining they're cold. The 16MPG on the school drop off/pickup routine is rough.

Wish the hybrid Sienna was readily available when we purchased in November 2020 and would take a hard look at the Carnival if we were in the market now.

At the end of the day, the middle row "magic" sliding seats in the Odyssey is the feature we love the most and has been useful in getting visiting grandparents in the third row. Hoping there's a big change for 2025 that includes a hybrid and retains the "magic" slide.
bco2003
AG
Love our 2015 Odyssey. Only thing that has gone wrong is one of the key fobs stopped working, while under warranty.
agracer
AG
victory lapper said:

Thanks to all who have weighed in on a previous thread, I think my wife and I have switched our focus to a Honda Odyssey moving forward.

Question for the board to weigh in on. In looking at different models, I've come across a 2022 Odyssey with 31k miles for $38,500. At the same dealership, they have a 2024 Odyssey for $46,900.

I've never bought a new car so the thought of starting feels a little unnerving. But I'd love to hear from the board what they think of this. Is the additional ~$8k worth going with a new car that has no previous owner, mileage, AND comes with the warranties? Are the new car warranties worth it?

I'm going to put down $20k regardless so the monthly payment isn't that far off, maybe $100-$150 or so depending on where the financing lines up.

Would love your thoughts and wisdom on this. We aren't looking to make a quick decision either, this is just right here in my city that I can go and see with my own eyes.
how much is an extended warranty from the dealer?

Might be a lot cheaper to get the 2022 and an 8 or 10 year warranty.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.