time for a new truck

5,031 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by AstroAggie15
AstroAggie15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright y'all, been a long time since I've been in the market and I'm looking for advice.

I'm looking to get a slightly used (under 20k miles) midsize truck (f150, ram 1500, tundra)

Not looking for anything fancy & hoping to not spend more than $45k out the door. My goal is buy this truck, baby, & drive it until the wheels fall off. Just starting my research now but I'd like to get this boards opinion on what I should be looking at for the most reliable truck.

Most towing I'd do is a bass boat and maybe a trailer with a ranger & deer hunting equipment at most. Crew cab is preferred

Any advice is greatly appreciated
GrapevineAg
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Alright y'all, been a long time since I've been in the market and I'm looking for advice.

I'm looking to get a slightly used (under 20k miles) midsize truck (f150, ram 1500, tundra)

Not looking for anything fancy & hoping to not spend more than $45k out the door. My goal is buy this truck, baby, & drive it until the wheels fall off. Just starting my research now but I'd like to get this boards opinion on what I should be looking at for the most reliable truck.

Most towing I'd do is a bass boat and maybe a trailer with a ranger & deer hunting equipment at most. Crew cab is preferred

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Most reliable truck = Tundra. I'd go for a 5.7L V8. My $.02.
Earth Rider
AG
I'm considering buying a v8 tundra with low miles and storing it for five or ten years until I need it. Pretty crazy probably. I don't want a 6 cylinder turbo.
Buck Turgidson
The term "mid sized" is typically used to describe smaller trucks like Tacomas, Frontiers and Rangers. Tundras, F150s and Ram 1500s are commonly called "full size".

What are your top priorities? Ride quality, reliability, fuel economy?
Corps_Ag12
AG
If this is real it's a steal

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/dallas-black-on-black-2020-toyota/7736867730.html
ttha_aggie_09
AG
That's got to be a scam, right?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I know a guy that has 2 of them and one sitting in his garage to drive in about 6-7 years for this exact reason.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Idk

I emailed him just for fun though
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
2018-2021 Tundra is the right option based on description.

I have family member who drove over 700,000 miles in their V8 tundra. They don't have the coolest tech but they last seemingly forever and are pain free.
HouseDivided06
AG
No way that's real. Can't be.
dodger02
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Not looking for anything fancy & hoping to not spend more than $45k out the door. My goal is buy this truck, baby, & drive it until the wheels fall off.
I always like reading lines like this. We've all read/heard/experienced trucks blowing up at <100k miles. Every one of those guys drove theirs until the 'wheels fell off', too.

Is what you're really looking for a truck that will last a decade and 300k miles?

Buck also asked another good question: what's your intended use? Is it a daily highway cruiser for commuting to work? How many miles do you drive a year? How often and how far are you towing a boat and a ranger?

The stereotype is that a Toyota will run for years with no troubles. It will. But if you have a 70-mile daily roundtrip commute, you'll pay a small fortune in gas. How big are the boat and ranger? Can you get away with a Tacoma?

I just got out of a 2.7L F150. For my light duty use, it was absolutely perfect. Even with a sometimes heavy foot, I got >21mpg in a 70-mile commute with mixed driving. Highway cruising was a breeze and 24+mpg was common on longer trips. I could also tow anything I needed to other than the space shuttle or fifth wheel - modest boat, utility trailer with lawnmowers and junk, or pallets of dirt, mulch, and gravel.
Flaith
AG
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/vdp.action?listingId=376125165&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&zip=77018&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d251#listing=376125165/NONE/DEFAULT

/thread
HouseDivided06
AG
I will throw my hat in the ring for the Titan as well. Just bought my second one in the last year (first one got totaled a week ago). Great trucks and great value. The Platinum Reserve trim is incredibly nice. Loved the one I got in July, so when it got totaled, went with another one.
cledus6150
AG
FYI check around you can find brand new Chevy/GMC 1500's for that price with the 5.3 and 4x4. They will be base model trucks but sound perfect for what you're looking for.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=homePageNewCarTab_false_0&selectedEntity=d630&zip=77845#listing=361909044/NONE/DEFAULT
agnerd
AG
https://www.toyota.com/configurator/build/step/summary/year/2024/series/tundra/model/8248/exteriorcolor/01G3/interiorcolor/FA21/packages/option8/?bap_guid=8d0982c5-8f55-4f6a-8b01-4887f5891488

New tundra SR crew cab 2WD if $44.5k + TT&L MSRP. Bet you can get one for $45k out the door with a warranty and no maintenance issues or missed oil changes.
BiggiesLX
Do you really want a truck? I thought I'd miss mine except I have a 4x6 utility trailer that's easier to load and unload than any truck bed. There's too much of a markup on trucks and people like to steal them compared to suvs.

With that said, I'd look at 4Runners or lexus GXs and Sequoia if you want the V8.
Buck Turgidson
Previous generation Tundras or current generation Titans are your best reliability bets, but I did hear that 2020 model year Tundras were having more issues than usual. Rams with the air ride suspensions will have the best ride quality.
Dr. Nefario
cledus6150 said:

FYI check around you can find brand new Chevy/GMC 1500's for that price with the 5.3 and 4x4. They will be base model trucks but sound perfect for what you're looking for.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/searchresults.action?sourceContext=homePageNewCarTab_false_0&selectedEntity=d630&zip=77845#listing=361909044/NONE/DEFAULT

OP specifically said reliable. GM trucks haven't fit that description since 2006.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln
cledus6150
AG
I have a difference of opinion, you take care of them and they will take care of you….mostly just as much as any of the others. My 14 was a great truck outside of one transmission at 143k, my 22 ZR2 Silverado had been a great truck through 45k so far
Mas89
AG
With the exception of the 6.0 2500s.
Silvy
AG
Staying on top of your maintenance will not save you from AFM or transmission issues. Aftermarket modifications can save you from those issues, but most aren't willing and it's still an added expense.

OP is also presumably in the Houston area, so he can not walk out to a GM truck and rely that it's parked where he left it.
cledus6150
AG
I did delete AFM admittedly super early into owning it, the theft thing well if they want your truck they will take it.
GrapevineAg
AG
cledus6150 said:

I have a difference of opinion, you take care of them and they will take care of you….mostly just as much as any of the others. My 14 was a great truck outside of one transmission at 143k, my 22 ZR2 Silverado had been a great truck through 45k so far

Respectfully, that's not reliable enough for me. I want a drivetrain to last at least twice that long given routine fluid and filter changes. A transmission replacement is not cheap - imo, that cost plus the lower resale value more than offsets the higher entry price of the Toyota.

I guess it comes down to how long someone wants to own and drive 1 truck. 100k miles or so - sure buy a cheaper domestic truck then trade it in on a newer one. If they can drive a truck for 2-3 times as long (some people don't want to drive an older vehicle), then a Toyota or Nissan makes more sense. Again, just my opinion, and no offense intended.
cledus6150
AG
Each to there own but I'd trust my ZR2 more than any tundra after seeing recent friends/coworkers Toyotas crap out on them!

And we dive into the age old Ford vs Chevy vs etc argument that is ages old!
tamuags08
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

Idk

I emailed him just for fun though

Did you ever hear anything from this guy? Posting still up and seems like a great deal
MaxPower
I'm selling a 2022 Ram Laramie with an ecodiesel and 17k miles for $40k. Has a nice retrax bed cover. Message me if interested in more info.

AG
I think the fallacy in your argument is that a domestic isn't going to last. Any vehicle, including Toyota's are eventually going to have issues when they get old and up over 150k miles. I find that most of the people that crap all over domestics haven't owned one built in the last 30 years.
ac04
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-volkswagen-rabbit-pickup-3/

MaroonDontRun
AG
That's a great looking truck. Why are you selling it?
MaxPower
Don't want a truck anymore. Bought a Tesla but it was from out of state so too much of a pain to try to trade it in.
BiggiesLX
Domestic manufacturers just don't have the incentive like Toyota does to make reliable cars. Combine that with the EPA's efforts to make domestics even more unreliable (10 speed transmission and cylinder management) and you get a cheap product. At 150k miles you're looking at rebuilt transmissions on a ford or Chevy while with a Toyota it may only be valve cover gaskets.
Teslag
AG
I love the GM/Ford 10 speeds
GrapevineAg
AG
1939 said:

I think the fallacy in your argument is that a domestic isn't going to last. Any vehicle, including Toyota's are eventually going to have issues when they get old and up over 150k miles. I find that most of the people that crap all over domestics haven't owned one built in the last 30 years.
Yep, I replaced the radio in my 4Runner at about 200k miles. Stupid Toyotas.
HouseDivided06
AG
My new 2023 Titan Platinum Reserve with 4,200 miles on it arrives from Florida tomorrow. My 2021 (may she rest in peace) was a great truck and protected me and the kids in a bad wreck.
GrapevineAg
AG
Wow, that was a beautiful truck - glad everyone is ok. Looking forward to pics of the new one.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.