Took my 2019 Silverado in for transmission issues again.

1,735 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by hurricanejake02
3rd Platoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last Fall, the 8-speed on my Silverado herked and jerked from 1-2nd gear and 2-1st. It slipped pretty harshly, so as it was still under warranty, I took it to the stealership. They did a triple flush and told me to take note over the next few thousand miles.

Things were decent for a couple of months, but in the last month or so, the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts have jerked again, and this time, there is a noticeable knock/jerk when I put it in reverse. I took it again to the dealership since it's STILL under warranty. Low and behold, there are 27 Silverados ahead of me with transmission issues. It's likely that my situation will take 2-3 weeks to resolved, and my service manager told me that I'd likely be getting a new transmission -- another 8-speed. GREAT.

What's my recourse, otherwise? I like the truck except for the transmission. I used to have a Tahoe that had a 4-speed transmission that never gave me any issues. Is it that there's just too much over-engineering now? Lack of oversight? Crappy design and build? It appears that Ford has issues with the 10-speed transmission, so I'm not interested in an F-150. Cut bait and trade for a pre-pandemic Tundra?
---------------------------------------
aka Commander 99 and "The Fake Dave South"
Canyon99
AG
Transmission on this is fail proof.

Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Fords 10 speed is working just fine. You just might have to replace turbos eventually
mm98
AG
Before I traded in my 2019 Silverado, I had the Range DFM Disabler. It actually reduced the transmission jerks significantly. Maybe give it a try. It will help with any future lifter issues, too.
big ben
AG
Have had the disabler on my 2015 silvy and I'm at 153k with (knocks on wood) nothing needed for motor and trans thus far. But i've ran full synthetic its entire life and flushed trans every 25k
Aztec1948
Canyon99 said:

Transmission on this is fail proof.

"I have been told that we have recovered technology that did not originate on this".-Former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence-Chris Mellon

“Behind the scenes, high-ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe that unknown flying objects are nonsense.” Former CIA Director, Roscoe Hillenkoetter, public statement, 1960.
mm98
AG
2015 was 6sp right?
3rd Platoon
AG
I have my Range DFM disabler and it still jerked. I also run full synthetic oil and get it changed every 5-7k miles.
---------------------------------------
aka Commander 99 and "The Fake Dave South"
Mas89
AG
Kyle Field Shade Chaser said:

Fords 10 speed is working just fine. You just might have to replace turbos eventually
My new 2023 F250's transmission it great. However the rear differential has a problem since new.
It's sitting at the shop for a month now waiting on parts… it was previously there for 3 weeks to change the pitted pinion bearings. My first new Ford in 35 years.
If only Toyota made a super duty.
Teslag
AG
Durkin Nowitzki said:

I think ford and Chevy use the same 10 speed they developed together
Tim Weaver
Mas89 said:

My new 2023 F250's transmission it great. However the rear differential has a problem since new.
It's sitting at the shop for a month now waiting on parts… it was previously there for 3 weeks to change the pitted pinion bearings. My first new Ford in 35 years.
I'd make a fuss about this. There's nothing "special" about the parts in a diff. Bearings, gears, friction plates if you've got 'em. All standard parts that should be readily available at any parts place. If "Ford" doesn't have the parts its because they are sticking them in new trucks and not the service department pipeline.
Tim Weaver
Teslag said:

Durkin Nowitzki said:

I think ford and Chevy use the same 10 speed they developed together
They do, but each company develops their own software to run it.

Same hardware, different operating system.
cevans_40
AG
Mas89 said:

This...although judging by the new Tundra it would likely be so darn ugly you wouldn't want to drive it.
Mas89
AG
Tim Weaver said:

Mas89 said:

I'd make a fuss about this. There's nothing "special" about the parts in a diff. Bearings, gears, friction plates if you've got 'em. All standard parts that should be readily available at any parts place. If "Ford" doesn't have the parts its because they are sticking them in new trucks and not the service department pipeline.
I was told Friday by the service advisor at Appel Ford that the 23 super duty has a new rear end this year. Not sure why but you would think they could get the parts or a whole new rear end to put on it.

They have given me a new f150 loaner both times but I use a super duty for hauling GN trailers. Knowing it's had a problem since purchased in June, I haven't put in a GN hitch or my toolbox.
Wondering when/ if the Texas lemon law would apply. Or if I should just try to find/ order another new one and cut my losses. I don't have time for this bs.

hurricanejake02
AG
Durkin Nowitzki said:

ummm.... not exactly. Lots of reported problems with the 10 speed. Multiple TSBs, more than a few class action suits. As a matter of fact, I just paid for a new one to go in the wife's '19 Expedition at 63k miles.

First google result for "Ford 10R80" (at least for me) takes me to a lemonlawexperts.com

When they work, they're amazing transmissions. When they don't....

Mas89
AG
How much was it? I bought the ford 5 year/ 150,000 mile warranty on my new F250 in June for 4,900. With all the new to me tech and electric, I thought it was a good buy.
Tim Weaver
Even if its all a brand new design they didn't use space goo and lizard tears to build it. Its bearing, gears, friction plates. The carrier could/would be a custom thing, but all the guts are basically dimensioned heavy equipment parts.
hurricanejake02
AG
Retail price on a new trans is ~$5,332, plus a $1k core charge... if you can find one. I was originally quoted roughly $2k for remove and install.

Luckily, I've got friends at the dealership, and they called Ford to get some loyalty money thrown at it since it was only 3k miles out of warranty. That and discounted labor rates kept my total spend to $5500.

But... I didn't get the Expedition back until 9 weeks after I dropped it off.

ETA: Just saw yours is a Superduty - very few complaints about that 10 spd, this is the 10 spd in the F150, Expy, Explorer, and Mustang.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.