switched trucks: ford to toyota

6,953 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by PharmD4
PharmD4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After 2 F-150s, decided to switch it up a bit

satexas
AG
You didn't "Switch Trucks". That's not a truck. You left "truck" and went "mom".
tk for tu juan
mom luxury off-roader
PharmD4
AG
satexas said:

You didn't "Switch Trucks". That's not a truck. You left "truck" and went "mom".

Not just any mom
jh0400
AG
After two F150s and a Tundra I went to a 4WD SUV back in December and have no regrets.
idAg09
PharmD4 said:

Please tell us why. Most of us know, but this board needs to know
Yesterday
AG
You'll look cute in the pick up lane.
PharmD4
AG
Yesterday said:

water turkey
What is that?
PharmD4
AG
Well, unlike all of our other resident AB brethren that always have a truck bed full of 2x4s and barbed wire while towing a travel trailer off-road, I was spending a lot of time with an empty truck bed and nothing on the hitch.

So after 10 years in a dodge 1500 (my first vehicle) and 11 years in two F150s, I'm trying something a little different.

Body on frame, unbreakable dinosaur V8, fairly easy to work on, interior build quality, off road capable…. Not going to turn it into a overlanding bro rig, but some tasteful all-terrains and subtle mods are in the future.

Also…pick up truck prices are stupid. Out of control.
PharmD4
AG
water turkey said:

What is that?

Soccer mom gx460

aggiedata
AG
You will look good being anywhere other than the Service Department
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
Lost your man card officially
PharmD4
AG
Durkin Nowitzki said:

Lost your man card officially

I was wondering why they asked for that at the dealer
ReloadAg
AG
I switched from a full size truck to an SUV 12 years ago while my wife was pregnant with our oldest daughter and haven't looked back since. I like the SUV way better.
Retired Principal
AG
PharmD4 said:

About to do the same. Have a 1794 Tundra and looking at a Genesis GV80.
Complete Idiot
Yesterday said:

And here we see why the majority of truck buyers are buying trucks and hardly ever using the bed or pulling anything.

Concerned about how they'll look.
JSKolache
AG
Rad. 460 was second on my list. Still like em.
Yesterday
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Yesterday said:

And here we see why the majority of truck buyers are buying trucks and hardly ever using the bed or pulling anything.

False! I do it mainly to compensate for my ***** size.
FIDO*98*
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Yesterday said:

Do you know how little room is in the back of a 460? A minivan has better functionality. Buying a used Lexus is 100% for looks
PharmD4
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Complete Idiot said:

Yesterday said:

Do you know how little room is in the back of a 460? A minivan has better functionality. Buying a used Lexus is 100% for looks

Wow you couldn't be more wrong. It's literally a poor man's Land Cruiser with dated interior, quirky exterior design, and an ancient v8. It's probably the most ignorable vehicle on the road.

If I wanted looks, I'd have bought an F150 tremor package or KR…or bronco…or some other $60k truck.
Complete Idiot
Yesterday said:

Complete Idiot said:

Yesterday said:

First - lol

Second - I wasn't trying to imply why you buy a truck, it's just my personal opinion the majority of pickup trucks are barely utilized. I could be wrong.

I'm 50 so I've watched trucks go from mainly a utilitarian vehicle, reasonable priced, to very expensive luxury or even sporty behemoths that don't get utilized much. Again, just my opinion and I'm biased since I really don't like driving something that big daily (I've done it, I had travel trailers to tow).
CenterHillAg
AG
We replaced my wife's 1500 AT4 with a 460 last week and are very happy with it so far. Initial quality between the 2 isn't even close, the GMC had the interior of a work truck covered in leather, flimsy interior panels, buggy radio and everything rattled. Not to mention AFM/DFM and transmission issues that we'd be dealing with in the near future. The 460 is solid, none of those issues. We live down a rough dirt road that washes out frequently, so the body on frame and AWD was essential. My parents live next door and my Mom has driven minivans or crossovers my whole life, and they're always beat up from the road by 75k miles, those were not considered for that reason. Plenty of space for our family of 4. 3rd row will be used only a few times a year. I'm not sure what people haul with them, but we've done multiple vacations/family visits in a truck or my Jetta and never ran out of space. It being cheaper than another AT4 was just icing on the cake.

My wife probably used her truck bed more than most on the AB, most of the miles driven had mulch, plants, yard equipment etc. in the bed. She can use my old Chevy for the dirty work, and I'll get a carrier rack for the hitch for smaller stuff.
Complete Idiot
FIDO*98* said:

Complete Idiot said:

Yesterday said:

I am sure some buy used Lexus for appearance (not so much looks, not many Lexus models look that great, but for the luxury nameplate). But I would say more buy for the build quality and reliability, along with plushness.
Yesterday
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Yesterday said:

Complete Idiot said:

Yesterday said:

First - lol

Second - I wasn't trying to imply why you buy a truck, it's just my personal opinion the majority of pickup trucks are barely utilized. I could be wrong.

I'm 50 so I've watched trucks go from mainly a utilitarian vehicle, reasonable priced, to very expensive luxury or even sporty behemoths that don't get utilized much. Again, just my opinion and I'm biased since I really don't like driving something that big daily (I've done it, I had travel trailers to tow).

Most vehicles are barely utilized. I'm sure we could all survive in a Honda Civic. Which I sold my F150 for and drove for three years. Loved it. Now in an F250 due to a fifth wheel and now ranch work.

Point is no one can really justify what they drive but we can all make fun of each other for our own subconscious shortcomings.
Hungry Ojos
This board is so awesome.

Do you know why I buy new, F-250 diesel trucks?

Because that's what I effing want.

I don't tow with them, I don't put anything significant in the bed, hell, I don't even know how to use the trailer brake.

But I don't care, because I can afford it and it's what I want.

All of us only NEED a scoop of vegetables and a small portion of protein for a meal, but isn't it nice to have a filet instead?

That's how I look at vehicles. So OP, congrats on your car, if that's what you wanted, good for you. **** everyone else.
vmiaptetr
AG
Welcome to the Land Cruiser thread OP.
'03ag
PharmD4 said:

Well, unlike all of our other resident AB brethren that always have a truck bed full of 2x4s and barbed wire while towing a travel trailer off-road, I was spending a lot of time with an empty truck bed and nothing on the hitch.

So after 10 years in a dodge 1500 (my first vehicle) and 11 years in two F150s, I'm trying something a little different.

Body on frame, unbreakable dinosaur V8, fairly easy to work on, interior build quality, off road capable…. Not going to turn it into a overlanding bro rig, but some tasteful all-terrains and subtle mods are in the future.

Also…pick up truck prices are stupid. Out of control.

Complete Idiot
Hungry Ojos said:

This board is so awesome.

Do you know why I buy new, F-250 diesel trucks?

Because that's what I effing want.

I don't tow with them, I don't put anything significant in the bed, hell, I don't even know how to use the trailer brake.

But I don't care, because I can afford it and it's what I want.

All of us only NEED a scoop of vegetables and a small portion of protein for a meal, but isn't it nice to have a filet instead?

That's how I look at vehicles. So OP, congrats on your car, if that's what you wanted, good for you. **** everyone else.

But have you asked yourself WHY you want it? If not using it for what it's designed for, what is it that attracts you to it? I get both the "why analyze what I like, I just like it" argument as well as the "we should assess why we do the things we do" - it's a near daily internal question/self criticism. But I am curious what draws you to the truck, if you care to articulate. Driving height? Illusion of safety? Aesthetics? Image portrayal? "In case I ever need it" capability? Off roading/ground clearance? When I had towing trucks I spent a lot on wheel/tire combos, power and sound upgrades, and other cosmetic stuff - that can be fun, lots of aftermarket parts for big volume trucks. Jeeps are the same, not many truly use them as the off road beasts they are but it's fun to own because you can spend more than the vehicle cost new on accessories and upgrades and build it to your own unique style.

I celebrate car culture of all kinds, including niches I myself aren't attracted to but I like the car passion. Daily driving a huge truck, without using its capabilities and without accessorizing for fun, is something I struggle to see why people are drawn to it. BUT it doesn't matter what I see, only the buyer. I have made endless car related decisions that are non sensical to others, and even to myself in hindsight.
rme
AG
A+ for self awareness, A++ for not giving a **** what other people think!
Redstone
AG
4Runner Limited here after swearing off Chevrolet product, although my 2001 Tahoe held up like a champion.

I'll buy Toyota SUVs until my expired body hunches over to crush my chicken gravy stained fingers.

And yes I look great dropping the little one off at 7:15.
El_duderino
Hungry Ojos said:

I don't even know how to use the trailer brake.

El_duderino
Great choice OP. Now you don't need the ford service manager on speed dial
ac04
absolutely love my wife's GX
Dill-Ag13
AG
Eff that haters. Those things rock.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.