Gas cap warning light on- pass inspection?

5,067 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TequilaMockingbird
TequilaMockingbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I got the gas cap warning light on my 2014 PU. I've bought a new gas cap, no change. Did the old disconnect the battery trick and it lasts a day or two before coming on again.

Last oil change I asked the guy at Rapid Oil Chnage if it would pass inspection and he said yes. Is that correct?
Picard
AG
Show us a picture of this "gas cap warning light"

TequilaMockingbird
Similar to this

it also says "check fuel cap" in the message center.

I know what is required to fix the problem. I'd just like to know if this guy at the oil change place was correct. I guess I'll find out when I take it in.
Jack Cheese
AG
The light should not cause it to fail.

However, if you live in an emissions county, disconnecting your battery will reset the monitors and the car won't pass until you have completed a drive cycle. Depending on the car, completing the drive cycle could take a while.
JamesPShelley
Jack Cheese said:

The light should not cause it to fail.

However, if you live in an emissions county, disconnecting your battery will reset the monitors and the car won't pass until you have completed a drive cycle. Depending on the car, completing the drive cycle could take a while.
... OP could keep driving until the light resets... if that's all it is.
TxAggieBand85
AG
My Honda had a gas cap warning (intermittent) for a few years. I would time my inspection to where the emissions would pass. This was after replacing the cap a couple of times without remedy.

Turned out to be a different issue and part, finally figured it out with the help of some web searches and has not visited since.

What I am saying, might not be the gas cap, do some investigating. Mine turned out to be easy and cost effective in the end; but I don't remember what mine was at this writing.

TequilaMockingbird
TxAggieBand85 said:

My Honda had a gas cap warning (intermittent) for a few years. I would time my inspection to where the emissions would pass. This was after replacing the cap a couple of times without remedy.

Turned out to be a different issue and part, finally figured it out with the help of some web searches and has not visited since.

What I am saying, might not be the gas cap, do some investigating. Mine turned out to be easy and cost effective in the end; but I don't remember what mine was at this writing.

For sure. From what I understand it's almost certainly caused by a faulty vapor leak detector, which would normally be a relatively easy fix. The problem is I am partially handicapped and cannot do the repair myself. I'm hoping to pass inspection without having to pay for the repair.

I went ahead and ordered a code reader/resetter so I don't have to do the battery disconnect routine. I'll find out in a couple of days if it works.
Jack Cheese
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

TxAggieBand85 said:

For sure. From what I understand it's almost certainly caused by a faulty vapor leak detector, which would normally be a relatively easy fix. The problem is I am partially handicapped and cannot do the repair myself. I'm hoping to pass inspection without having to pay for the repair.

I went ahead and ordered a code reader/resetter so I don't have to do the battery disconnect routine. I'll find out in a couple of days if it works.

Code reset using an OBD tool will also reset your monitors.

Are you in an emissions county? If not, go get it inspected, no worries. Doesn't matter if the gas cap warning light is on.

If you are in an emissions county, the gas cap indicator will not fail you so again, don't worry about it. But if you've disconnected the battery or used an OBD tool to reset the light, just use the same OBD tool to make sure your monitors have all run through the drive cycle. That will enable you to get inspected.

Your attempts to clear the gas cap light may have negatively impacted your ability to get inspected.
TequilaMockingbird
UPDATE: Passed inspection no worries. I went early and parked down the street from the inspection place. Did the reset routine, then went straight to the place for inspection.

I had forgotten that they really don't check much anymore, just the blinkers and tail lights.
TequilaMockingbird
When the new law kicks in this won't be a concern.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.