Four wheel drive SUVs

6,612 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jh0400
jh0400
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm getting the new vehicle itch and have decided that I want a four wheel drive SUV. I currently have a Tundra and rarely use the bed.

I'm considering the following but am open to others as well. Curious to get the board's opinion.

4 Runner - so far this is the leader based on cost and availability; probably looking at a Pro or ORP depending on which color I land on

Bronco - this is my wife's favorite of the bunch, but I'm not interested in paying $10k over sticker for a used one right now. If I knew for sure that I'd be able to order one and get it in the next six months I'd probably pull the trigger.

GX460 - I like the idea of buying one of these and modding it to make it more like the Prados you see overseas and less like the grocery-getters they are in the US

Defender 110 - If the reliability was better this would be the hands down winner. I intend to keep this vehicle for five to seven years, and I'm not sure I have the stomach to own one of these out of warranty.

Silvy
AG
Definitely give the 4Runner a test drive to make sure you can live with how underpowered it is
jh0400
AG
I've driven one as a rental previously and have done some reading on throttle response controllers. On paper it should have plenty of power.
htxag09
AG
Nothing to add but the defender is probably my favorite suv on the road right now. I agree, tco is high. Why I don't own one. I may be in the minority, but having owned a Range Rover before it's not necessarily the reliability that scares me, I've had f-150's and tacomas with more issues than that Range Rover, it's just the general cost of maintenance.
aggiecody06
Sequoia?
jh0400
AG
The $400 oil changes are a definite strike against the Defender, and I totally agree that it is the best looking SUV on the road right now.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pay up for the GX460 over the 4Runner. It's literally better in every way.
AggieMPH2005
Yukon AT4 too big?
jh0400
AG
Not a fan of the interior.
MikesFamousJava
AG
OP, FWIW I briefly considered a used GX460 recently, having driven a LC Prado for a week in Costa Rica. It was imminently capable as a 4WD vehicle and I was impressed by its capabilities…but on my long drive back to the airport I discovered that the driver's seat became very uncomfortable. In doing my research on the GX460, I found that it has the same issue. I'd recommend researching that for yourself before you decide on the GX. I'm sure some GX460 owners can weigh in re their experience.
ElephantRider
AG
aggiecody06 said:

Sequoia?

Back seats not laying flat would be a deal-breaker for me
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Love our Expy Max, but that's obviously much larger than what you're looking at.

The 4wd works well enough for the ski mountain trips and snow trips we do out here in Southern Oregon.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Furlock Bones said:

No factory locking rear differential offered in GX460 like they are in TRD Off Road 4Runner if he really wants to maximize off-road capability.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
4Runner costs half the 110 and 1/5th the cost to keep it running.

But the 110 looks cool I'll give you that.
Mookie
AG
Wait 2 months for a bronco at MSRP
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Mookie said:

You mean 1 year 2 months.
jh0400
AG
Mookie said:

Link to a dealer? I haven't seen anyone taking orders.
Mookie
AG
Nope
Mookie
AG
Not ordering. "Settling"
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Mookie said:

Not ordering. "Settling"

Finally think I figured out what you mean. I can tell you I had a buddy buy one Saturday brand new off the lot on an order that the person backed out of. It was $15k over MSRP.

When I took delivery of mine in February they offered me $24k over MSRP to walk away. So definitely a downward trend.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited is the correct answer.

Mas89
AG
dubi
AG
Quote:

When I took delivery of mine in February they offered me $24k over MSRP to walk away.
I would have walked out with that check in 5 minutes....
Buck Turgidson
ElephantRider said:

aggiecody06 said:

Sequoia?

Back seats not laying flat would be a deal-breaker for me
Thats if you buy a new one (if they ever get to dealers). You can buy a low mileage used one and it folds flat. Those things are bullet proof. Main drawback is low mileage.
Picard
AG
Buy a 4Runner. If you decide later you don't like it, sell it for a premium over what you paid.

JSKolache
AG
Sequoia all day. Last Sequoia's 4wd is actually a selectable full time 4wd system. 2hi, 4hi, 4lo with a lockable center diff. Pretty rad, and i wish the capability was moving into the new generation, but it's not. I went tundra to sequoia and would do it again. When i wear this one out, a 21/22 trd pro will be at top of the list by default.
stevopike
AG
Land Cruiser? 4Runner and GX might feel cramped after coming from a Tundra.
jh0400
AG
I'd love a Land Cruiser, but I'm ready to spend close to six figures on a two to three year old vehicle.
mrmill3218
AG
Aggie_Boomin 21 said:

Furlock Bones said:

No factory locking rear differential offered in GX460 like they are in TRD Off Road 4Runner if he really wants to maximize off-road capability.
The GX comes with ATRAC, which is almost just as good as front and rear diff locks.
William Larue Weller
AG
Make sure you've ridden in the Bronco before you pull the trigger if you go that route. I went through a year and a half long fiasco of waiting for one that ultimately ended in me rejecting the vehicle upon delivery because I've ridden in a buddy's first edition multiple times and it just feels cheaply made for the price you pay. Very capable off roader and fun to drive, but man, for $60k+ I want something with an interior that feels well-made. Also, the cabin noise is awfully loud.

Personally, I was convinced I'd love the 4Runner, but it has no turning radius to speak of and feels like driving a pickup - was a no go for me.

Defender is cool, but maintenance nightmare.

Of your options, I'd go GX460. It's the single vehicle that bumped Lexus to #1 in JD Power's reliability rankings for 2022.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
William Larue Weller said:

Make sure you've ridden in the Bronco before you pull the trigger if you go that route. I went through a year and a half long fiasco of waiting for one that ultimately ended in me rejecting the vehicle upon delivery because I've ridden in a buddy's first edition multiple times and it just feels cheaply made for the price you pay. Very capable off roader and fun to drive, but man, for $60k+ I want something with an interior that feels well-made. Also, the cabin noise is awfully loud.

Personally, I was convinced I'd love the 4Runner, but it has no turning radius to speak of and feels like driving a pickup - was a no go for me.

Defender is cool, but maintenance nightmare.

Of your options, I'd go GX460. It's the single vehicle that bumped Lexus to #1 in JD Power's reliability rankings for 2022.

Very true about the interior noise. It's no joke. I really did almost give it back the dealer because of it. My wife urged me to stick it out for a few months. Glad I did.

It still sucks but I think I'm just used to it now. I'm sure some of the long time Jeep people can opine on that theory a little.

My wife has a TRD Pro Runner. Great vehicle, runs like a champ, but the kids definitely hate the back seat since they were also used to my previous Tundra. It's reasonably comfortable but the tech sucks (I mean not shocking for a Toyota).

Hard to argue with the GX460 idea. Honestly though if I went back to a SUV I'd really want a used land cruiser or a Sequioa.

Good luck! Post pics.
jh0400
AG
The interior noise could be an issue for us then. We rented a Jeep Wrangler a few years ago to drive from SJC to Paso Robles, and I got to hear about the wind noise the whole way.
GAC06
AG
GX is getting a full redesign for 2024 model year
Ogre09
AG
I have a 2016 Sequoia and a 2020 GX. I would recommend either. Sequoia is big. GX is smooth. Both are tanks with serious off-road chops.
Redstone
AG
I have a 2016 4Runner Limited.

"Underpowered" V6 with 270hp? Doesn't seem like it, because I don't off-road, and the trade offs are very much worth it.

Drives and moves like a champion. Great interior. I'm always comfortable. Will take to 300K +

Minimal tech and a trusted engine helps with minimal maintenance costs. One reason Scotty Kilmer always recommends Toyota / Honda , and praises the 4R.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.