Need some F150 help ... (1Ags!)

2,392 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
the enigma
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2011 Platinum

Climate control won't blow in any setting, ventilated seats still blow cool air. Check all fuses and relays for blower motor and all seem ok. Pull blower motor today and have power to wiring harness, check motor and it turns when connected directly to battery. All dash lights that go to the climate control buttons and touch screen work as normal.

What an I missing and need to check?
87IE
AG
Not 1Ags but your blower motor resistor?
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
the enigma
I didn't mean for this to sound like an exclusive 1Ags post, I just know he's our local Ford guy!

I'll check the resistor, I'm just glad it's not in the center dash, that looks like a giant chore to take apart. Do you know if there is a way to test the resistor?

I'll add another "symptom", I was just driving back on the highway and the climate control system kicked on by itself. No bumps, no nothing, just fresh cool air coming out of the vents. Still the resistor?
87IE
AG
My 2010 XLT is pretty basic. I swapped my resistor and then about 2 month later my blower motor crapped out..

You can check the resistor with an ohm meter but google it as it's been a while since I did mine.

My "Not 1Ags" disclaimer was simply my way of saying I'm not at his level of knowledge. Just a man with a Code Reader and a bunch of tools that sold auto parts a LONG time ago.
the enigma
After reading and rereading your post and watching a video on the resistor, I am thinking about just replacing both, the resistor and motor... Only be around $150 and an hour of my time
Picard
AG
Congrats to you on getting the back blower motor bolts out! PITA

87IE
AG
Picard said:

I forgot about the totally PIA one...

Do yourself a favor. The one that is the hardest to reach... make note of it and if you have a dremel cutoff tool make a slot out of that hole on the new one.

Put the bolt 1/3rd of the way in when you start and slide the blower motor onto that bolt then bolt in the other ones. It's somewhat easier to finish tightening that bolt than it is to have to start it and tighten it...
Roger That
AG
Picard said:

I think I've had nightmares about the back bolt. I don't know how you're actually supposed to get them out and back in, but I guarantee the way I did wasn't it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Resistor/controller was my first thought. Can be done without removing the fan motor.
the enigma
That back bolt was pretty rough, the hand cramps bothered me the most.

Thanks all, I think I'll replace both, when u had the motor out some dark blackish powder came out of it so it'll be safe to just do it at the same time...
vansprinkle
AG
I just went through this myself. Worked on it over the past 2 weeks and think it's completely fixed now. I started with the resistor module (you can access either under the dash, far right side, or by flipping the glove box down (no need to actually remove, just push tabs and flip it down to floor)). After swapping the resistor module ($35ish) I was still having issues. With 115k miles, I figured I'd go ahead and swap the blower motor, which is a little more rough than the module, but not horrible (8mm with an extension and u-joint/wobble).

After swapping these two parts , which research said are most likely culprits, I still had the same issue. I started poking around more and discovered there was a short in the plug that goes into the resistor module. By slapping/jiggling this cord I could get the blower to cut on or off, which seemed a little dangerous. I pulled the plug and took a look, noticing melting darkened plastic in the plug. I did a quick search and found a half dozen options on Amazon ($30). Swapping this appears to have solved my problem.

With all this said, I'd start by checking the plug that goes into the module.

the enigma
Good to know vansprinkle, I appreciate it. Looks like I will be replacing three parts instead of two.

What is your year and trim? I have been looking for the correct resistor and it looks like there are about a dozen different parts! Which one did you use...
fooz
When I had my 2011, I had to replace the blower motor resistor that's behind the glovebox, twice. But that fixed it both times.
the enigma
At least the resistor is somewhat easy to get to, unlike everything else "Ford"!
vansprinkle
AG
the enigma said:

Good to know vansprinkle, I appreciate it. Looks like I will be replacing three parts instead of two.

What is your year and trim? I have been looking for the correct resistor and it looks like there are about a dozen different parts! Which one did you use...

2013 F150, super crew, auto climate control

I think there are only 2 types of modules, one for trucks with the auto climate control and one for standard set your own fan speed only type system.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
vansprinkle said:

the enigma said:

2013 F150, super crew, auto climate control

I think there are only 2 types of modules, one for trucks with the auto climate control and one for standard set your own fan speed only type system.
X2

Dont buy the aftermarket stuff. Motorcraft is the way to go!
the enigma
Good advice, I was going to go Motorcraft
the enigma
Finally pulled everything apart, I have the melting on the plug and the resistor and the aforementioned blackish powder coming out of the blower motor. Ordered all the parts (all Motorcraft) and they should all be here next week. I know what I'm doing next weekend!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
awesome
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.