Automotive Hypothetical - crosscountry travel edition.

3,440 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by hatchback
hatchback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As a distraction from the COVID-19 madness and economic fallout, let's play a game!

I'll add a twist: pick one car if you're driving and pick one car if you're being driven.

Driving myself: Aston Martin DB11 v12

Being driven: Rolls Royce Phantom EWB

GrapevineAg
AG
Yeah those would be my choices too.

If there's no size limit, I suppose I could trade the Rolls Royce for an RV or private tour bus instead.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Non hypothetical - my daughter is a cadet at Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, VA. They won't be allowed back to campus until after April 17th at the earliest.

She's at home with me in Los Angeles but, at some point between now and mid-May we need to retrieve my 1999 Ford Expedition from Virginia and return it to Los Angeles.

I'm thinking this is my opportunity to pick up the final 4 states that I need to reach to hit all 50. So... I'm planning to go from Virginia, north to Ohio and then to Wisconsin. Across Minnesota to North Dakota and then back to Los Angeles.

Looks like about 3,100 miles. I'm thinking this will take at least 5 days assuming nothing breaks down. The Expy has about 220,000 miles on it.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Do we have to account for the number of times the car will break down on the way there?
hatchback
AG
Hypothetically, the car is in as-new perfect working order.
EMY92
AG
A sports car is nice, but I am not sure it's comfortable enough for a cross country run.

Maybe an AMG S-Class.
Flaith
AG
Driving: Porsche Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo

Driven: I think a Newell Coach would fit my meager needs effectively

K Bo
AG
If I'm driving: first-gen Ford GT, no stripes

I'f I'm being driven: luxury Sprinter conversion van
Dr. Nefario
hatchback said:

Hypothetically, the car is in as-new perfect working order.

It's still a valid question, especially if you choose anything made by FiatChrysler.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I call your custom Sprinter and I raise you one JDM Nissan El Grand.
The one in this video isn't as nice as the taxi I was in in Tokyo but you get the idea.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
If I'm driven, a Toyota Alphard.

If I'm gonna drive, Mercedes S350 Bluetec Diesel
HollywoodBQ
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

You're right, it was the Alphard, not the ElGrand I was thinking of.

With the Executive Lounge package.

K Bo
AG
That does look very nice but I'll take the ability to stand in the Sprinter.
fixer
Matt Farah's million mile Lexus

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28991860/the-million-mile-lexus/
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

You're right, it was the Alphard, not the ElGrand I was thinking of.

With the Executive Lounge package.

Man that Nissans pretty tight too.

But really, if you were gonna be chauffeured, why not go full out and get a conversion HiAce?
sts7049
AG
if i'm driving, i think i'm going in one of these:

if i'm being driven, a newell or marathon coach will work just fine.

https://www.marathoncoach.com/product/marathon-coach-1308/

ac04
911 gt3 touring if i'm driving

permabull
AG
Tim Weaver
Since speed limits would still be a thing I think I might go with the Brabus G-550 and try to get on as much dirt as possible.

If I'm being driven it's hand's-down a Prevost Entertainer. I got the best sleep ever on one of these beasts. That gentle rocking and the hum of the road puts me down for the count.

VitruvianAg
AG
My wife and I took a tour last year in my '07 XK Cabrio.

Started the trip in DC, South to Richmond, stopped to see #1 son and then south on I85 across to Ashville beautiful drive through the mountains (spent the night) and then South to Hattiesburg to spend the night with our friend that runs the Arch program at SM.

On to Houston/The Woodlands with Dad and Sister for a couple days then west and north to I40, spent the night in Amarrillo, took a detour to Palo Duro, then back on the road after a stop at "Cadillac Ranch".

Tucumcari is a bit of a ****hole but a lot of cool 50's motels on the old US66, had one the best burgers at a the Laguna Reservation at the 66pitstops Laguna Burger. Spent the night in Winslow, had breakfast at the Blond Girld in a Flatbed Ford Corner before going to The Crater and then North to Monument Valley and back South to The Painted Desert.

Spent a couple nights in Flagstaff, took beautiful drive on 180 through the mountains North to the South Rim and The Grand Canyon Village had lunch at El Tovar. Came back through Williams and then east and south down to Sedona on AZ 89A (stunning drive with the top down).

Left the next morning toward Phoenix with a stop at Arco Santi before finishing the western leg to be with #1 Grandson and #3 son and DIL in Menifee for a few days and to get some work done remotely.

Then north to visit last child and #1 daughter and my brother in LA for a few days but stopped at the Nixon Library first.

Left LA north toward Santa Cruz via the Pacific Coast highway with a stop at the Reagan Library and lunch at San Luis Obispo. It was a Monday so the PCH was pleasant with little traffic or not enough that the Jag couldn't dispose of quickly when the yellow stripe allowed.

Stopped with friends in Aptos, CA before starting the return home starting with a trip up to Yosemite and a stunning drive out of the park on CA 120 to Mono Lake (we missed a close up of the lake).

Spent the night in Tonopa, NV before heading to Lehi, UT before which at a flat, straight along Sevier Lake I stretched her out and had enough at 120mph where I knew she had more to give.

Spent a few days with our friends checked out the sites around SLC ( picked up a couple Kindigit t-shirts) before heading north to Jackson, The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Another stunning drive around and drive out of the park east to Cody, WY.

The drive through Burgis Junction and Bighorn NP was beautiful before heading to Devil's Tower a stunning drive through The Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse where we left a bit late and got to The Bad Lands at dusk where some dumbass Pronghorn decided to jump in front if my driver side headlight and over my head just before making a faceplant on my windshield taking out said headlight, fender, driver's wiper. Saw him land on his rump tried to get up where I lost interest in him and checked the dash for warnings. Didn't dare stop until I got to civilization a gas station to check the car out.

There was some Rodeo going on in Wall, so no hotels; wound up in Kadoka.

Next morning stopped for some duct tape, and mapped the quickest way home via South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Maryland with only a stop near South Bend. While driving along southern MN I dared to push the Cruise Control and by some miracle it engaged so it didn't take out the radar system and the adaptive cruise worked making the stressful drive home easier. Southern Wisconsin was much more pretty than southern Minnesota.

Wanted to see some of F L Wright's stuff in Chicago and Wisconsin but that will have to wait, wife has family in Wisconsin so maybe this summer.

TL : DR

The Jag is a great touring car! Most of the trip was done at 95mph on the interstates and passing slow traffic was done confidently on two lane roads. Didn't see much Fuzz until we got to Wisconsin and parts east, specially Maryland, almost none once we left Virginia ( they're like the Gestapo around here in VA).

No car trouble except for the dreaded A/C condensate drain problem with these cars. Didn't really need A/C on the west coast, but as soon as we got to Indiana it was necessary in late July.

Wouldn't mind doing the trip again in a F-Type or maybe an F-Pace to be equal to all the SUV's and big trucks, but the Jag can pass most of them quickly at any speed...pretty much.

Not mine, but mine is exactly like this one.
robertcope

https://heacockclassic.com/articles/the-round-door-rolls-1925-rolls-royce-phantom-i-jonckheere/
ChipFTAC01
AG
Great trip. I grew up taking the Great American Roadtrip but that puts our biggest one to shame. And cruing with your wife in a jag beats plodding along in a conversion can with 4 kids in the back
hatchback
AG
Sounds like an amazing trip! How much of the driving was done with the top down?
Quote:

Wanted to see some of F L Wright's stuff in Chicago and Wisconsin but that will have to wait, wife has family in Wisconsin so maybe this summer.

I visited Taliesin in Wisconsin last summer and it was absolutely incredible - an architectural bucket list item for sure. I haven't done the FLW stuff in Oak Park yet, but have been to the Robie House in Chicago.
VitruvianAg
AG
Richmond to Ashville, and most of the places with beatiful sceneray.

Interstates at top speed is too annoying.

Williams to Sedoma and Slide Rock State Park and The Red Rocks just amazing.

I drove most of the time.
VitruvianAg
AG
Wanted to do Taliesen West but its $$$ and a reservation, itenarary wasn't fixed....next time.

Arco Santi is way cooler anyway and #1 hadn't been there before. You can also lodge there, so next time for sure we'll stay there with the stop at Taliesen West and Solari's studio in Phoenix.
HollywoodBQ
AG
That sounds like an awesome trip.
  • How many days did it take?
  • How many states did you hit on that trip?
knoxtom
90% of the drive between seattle and ny is boring so i wouldnt take a sports car. Who wants to sit for 5 days in a gt3 driving straight lines?

I would pick either my current LR discovery or my old bmw 5 series. Both are fantastic on trips and will do 70 to 100 mph all day long.
knoxtom
90% of the drive between seattle and ny is boring so i wouldnt take a sports car. Who wants to sit for 5 days in a gt3 driving straight lines?

I would pick either my current LR discovery or my old bmw 5 series. Both are fantastic on trips and will do 70 to 100 mph all day long.
VitruvianAg
AG
5 weeks, but we spent 3 days in Houston, 4 days in Menifee/Temecula, another 4 in LA and 3 in SLC.

25 states, but honestly only a few miles in GA and ID.
VitruvianAg
AG
Wasn't west of SLC, but I'll say southern South Dakota and Minesotta were beautiful prairies in there own way in contrast to the mountains.

It would of been more pleasant with out the anxiety of nursing the car (at first, to reasure myself that I can get it home) and minor PTSD of that pronghorns eye looking at me through my windshield. I felt better after I realized the ACC was working, that makes the drive easier in long stretches with traffic. The duct tape eliminated an annoying vibration I was getting at speed.
tk for tu juan
992 911 Turbo S
JAW3336
AG
If I'm being driven.

That's a parade float, who cares how long it takes to get there.
hatchback
AG
Awesome.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.