Need Help on Grinding/Humming Noise while braking

690 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Picard
BTMTAT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I replaced 4 new tires on an F150 about 3 weeks ago. A few days after tire replacement, I started to feel a faint vibration while braking, just before coming to a stop, from the left front tire. That vibration came and went so it wasn't much of a concern.

The vibration has now turned into an audible grinding/humming noise, still only while braking and just before coming to a complete stop. I took my truck back to the tire shop, they took everything off, rebalanced, said things look great.

The noise continued so I took to a mechanic. They checked the brake pads and rotors, said all looks great. Still hearing the grinding. I asked them about bearings and CV joint which they said were fine.

Any ideas of what I should do next? Take to a different shop?
aTm2004
AG
My money is on brake pads and a warped rotor.
Picard
AG
Is this truck four wheel drive?

Picard
AG
Also, why did you replace new tires?

aTm2004
AG
Picard said:

Also, why did you replace new tires?

BTMTAT
AG
Yes, the truck is a 4 wheel drive. I replaced tires because the others were worn out. I was at close to 60k miles on the stock tires.
Picard
AG
BTMTAT said:

Yes, the truck is a 4 wheel drive. I replaced tires because the others were worn out. I was at close to 60k miles on the stock tires.

Try engaging the 4wd for a short distance, then go back to 2wd and see if the problem persists.

BTMTAT
AG
Picard said:

Try engaging the 4wd for a short distance, then go back to 2wd and see if the problem persists.

Man Picard you're like a wizard. I did what you said and no more grinding when I brake.

When I was driving in 4 high for a little bit, that same grinding happened WITHOUT braking when I was taking a left (left front tire only) with a little "pop" but once I put it back in 2WD the grinding stopped while braking and it's not grinding when I take a left either.
Picard
AG
Well thanks but don't promote me to wizard just yet. My '13 F150 started doing the same thing a few weeks ago, same tire and same symptoms. I haven't done anything to it recently....no changes.

I suspected a problem with the IWE so I switched into 4wd and then back to 2wd and it went away. Good so far for a few weeks. You may have to replace that IWE and/or deal with a vacuum leak if the noise returns.

Here's a write-up on the subject:
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2011-2014-F150IWE-Problems-and-Fixes.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.