Bilstein 5100 leveling f150 question

3,066 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TexAgBolter
mt3950
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those that have put this kit on your f150, how much stiffer does it make the ride? I like the look and functionality of more ground clearance, but don't want to sacrifice ride quality. Thinking of raising the front 2" and the rear 1" so there's still some rake for towing. Thoughts? Anything else I should look at?

2018 crew 4x4 lariat if that matters.
TXAG9
AG
Installing mine tomorrow on a 2014 F150. From what I hear, the ride is slightly stiffer from stock but not overly jarring. Everything I have read says to not put it on the highest setting as you really sacrifice ride quality. I'll report back.
Picard
AG
mt3950 said:

Thinking of raising the front 2" and the rear 1" so there's still some rake for towing.

Uh, it doesn't work that way. And even if it did that's backwards!
mt3950
AG
Picard said:

mt3950 said:

Thinking of raising the front 2" and the rear 1" so there's still some rake for towing.

Uh, it doesn't work that way. And even if it did that's backwards!

Can you explain what you mean? The 5100 have graduated levels of "raising"...so you can raise all independently.

And if I want to level, I need to raise the front more than the rear in order to reduce the existing rake.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
The 5100 kit does NOTHING for the rear ride height.

JB
AG
I have the 5100s, but on an older model. Same basic design though. It did stiffen the ride up a little bit.

It has been on there for over 200k miles, so maybe I have gotten use to it.
CenterHillAg
AG
I have an '18 F150 and didn't notice much ride difference after putting the 5100's on the front. Mine are at the 2nd highest setting, 1.79" I think, still has a rake and doesn't squat bad when towing, other than when I pulled 12k lbs.

I also put a P-rated 285/70-17 AT tire on at the same time, having those vs an E-rated tire on a half ton definitely helps the ride if you're looking for a bigger tire.
mt3950
AG
CenterHillAg said:

I have an '18 F150 and didn't notice much ride difference after putting the 5100's on the front. Mine are at the 2nd highest setting, 1.79" I think, still has a rake and doesn't squat bad when towing, other than when I pulled 12k lbs.

I also put a P-rated 285/70-17 AT tire on at the same time, having those vs an E-rated tire on a half ton definitely helps the ride if you're looking for a bigger tire.

Thanks! Which tire did you go with, if you don't mind me asking?
CenterHillAg
AG
Falken Wildpeak AT3W, 12k miles and happy so far. They were pretty cheap, $190 a tire.
Strongwind86
AG
Here's another topic that I replied on the 5100's and larger tires for my 2016 F150.

TexAgs Auto - 5100's on my F150
TXAG9
AG
Update: I had my Bilstein's installed this past Friday and they are a huge improvement over stock. Ride has improved and bumps feel significantly better.
mt3950
AG
TXAG9 said:

Update: I had my Bilstein's installed this past Friday and they are a huge improvement over stock. Ride has improved and bumps feel significantly better.

What height?
dodger02
AG
TXAG9 said:

Can you describe the difference a little more? I have an '18 F150 and am intrigued by all of the 5100 talk.
mt3950
AG
mt3950 said:

TXAG9 said:

What height?

Also where are you located and who did the install?
TXAG9
AG
I had the Bilstein's installed at the 1.75" setting. This is the second ring from the top. Located in Fort Worth and had a shop called Fat Lip Customs do the work. They were significantly cheaper than everyone else. I bought the shocks from Stage3Motorsports and had the local shop install. For install and alignment, it was $290.

As far a ride quality goes, the truck used to squat taking dips in the road and have a hard time rebounding. After the new shocks, it takes the bump and is back to normal ride height. It also doesn't boat around the corner anymore. Overall handling feels much better.
suburban cowboy
AG
2018 FX4 Lariat here in Houston.

I'd like sourcing info, installation info and recommendations and pricing.
Flaith
AG
Looks like Ford is getting in the leveling game

https://jalopnik.com/fords-kind-of-made-raptor-lite-versions-of-f-150-and-ra-1838221112
Strongwind86
AG
I posted my specifics on online purchase and Houston (Cypress) area installing the link embedded in my post above.
El_Guero512
Thanks for the thread, I have a 2019 STX super crew and going with the 5100 front and back. Any good shops here in Austin??
TexAgBolter
AG
Any recs on a shop in The Woodlands area for installation? I will drive over to Cypress if needed, but would prefer not to.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.