Need New Brakes On My 2013 F150

4,054 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TxAggieBand85
Post removed:
by user
03_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always done oreilly house rotors and Wagner pads. Pads used to be the thermo quiets but it's something different at oreilly now.
Mookie
AG
I just did wagner TCs on the odyssey and the ridge line. I went with the cheap rotors off of amazon.

Replacing rotors is one screw and a parts markup, I can see why a shop won't turn. I would look for your local ford dealer to offer pads and rotor turn for $99 an axle, they run specials all the time if you are not in a position to DIY.

In fact, here is an $88 coupon in Charleston SC.
https://www.palmettoford.com/service-parts-specials.html
Post removed:
by user
Dill-Ag13
AG
Brake jobs aren't diy bro
Post removed:
by user
Cassius
Don't turn them, just get new ones. The things are so thin nowadays because of CAFE standards that there probably ain't enough metal to take off. You'll be buying new ones within a year if you turn them.

I'd go with low dust, semi metallic brakes as far as pads.
CDUB98
AG
I put EBC brakes with green stuff pads at all four corners of my 2013 F150.

Except for the brake dust, they are the shiz.
'03ag
CDUB98 said:

I put EBC brakes with green stuff pads at all four corners of my 2013 F150.

Except for the brake dust, they are the shiz.

put red stuff on the wife's X5. Loved them. Improved bite and modulation over stock. Paired with a centric high carbon rotor
CDUB98
AG
As added info, I purchased the dimpled and slotted rotors.
Post removed:
by user
'03ag
If you're concerned then go with the red stuff compound. I believe it's their lowest dusting. Certainly reduced dust on our X5.
CDUB98
AG
third coast.. said:

Do you get beyond normal brake dust? I guess it's not too big of a deal because my wheels are dark grey, but damn brake dust overload sucks

Yeah, it's higher than normal brake dust, but that is common with higher performing brakes.

EBC also makes a 7000 series green stuff that are lower dusting, but also slightly less performance.

It's simply a trade off of what your are willing to put up with versus the performance level you want.

The Red Stuff posted above are not for trucks, FYI.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
third coast.. said:

I thought I needed new brakes on my truck and this was confirmed when I recently got new tires. I believe there is a little warping up front on the rotors as well. I have been told by one shop that they no longer turn rotors and that they do at another shop so I'm not sure if that is in play or not. I am not opposed to changing them myself in a couple months when I get home but if I stumble upon a deal while i am here at work to get them done i will jump on it

That being said, any special pads or rotors i should be looking at? I tow a boat while.im home every so often but that's about the extent of my towing. I havent changed brakes since around 2019 on my old truck so it's been a while since i have had to mess with anything like this. Appreciate the input.
Oreilly Brake Best Select actually is a very good product now. Both pads and rotors.

Wagner Thermoquiet is also good, but I no longer use OEx by Wagner.

1agswitchin4lanes
AG
third coast.. said:

Over $500 for 4 rotors and pads for oreilly brand. That's way more than I expected that to be.
Parts only??
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ill do it for that installed bruh...
Post removed:
by user
03_Aggie
third coast.. said:

I'm not scared to do the job, I've done it before, I just dont remember it being near that much.

Rotors are killer on the wallet.
03_Aggie
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Do you travel? May need to try and enlist your assistance on a few things.
Post removed:
by user
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
03_Aggie said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Depends on what and were
WildcatAg
AG
Cassius said:

The things are so thin nowadays because of CAFE standards that there probably ain't enough metal to take off.
The front rotors on my last two F150s have warped much quicker than I expected (<25,000 miles). It's rather annoying.
Post removed:
by user
TMfrisco
AG
third coast.. said:

This is about what has happened to me. Very slight warping just enough to be noticeable at extremely slow speeds. I'm thinking I can get away with not changing the rears though.
This.
I think the calipers are maybe a bad design. I think the slide pins stick way to frequently and the one large cylinder for pressure - though I'm not sure if that is a normal design on other vehicles as well - causes rotors to warp quickly on theses truck.

Or, my driving habits are bad!
03_Aggie
1agswitchin4lanes said:

03_Aggie said:

1agswitchin4lanes said:

Depends on what and were

Sent you an email.

Post removed:
by user
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
third coast.. said:

What's this boards thoughts on power stop brakes?
Meh.

Ive seen lots of posts on the GT500 forum of catastrophic failures. Not worth it.

Wagner TQ (not OEx) or Brakebest Select (Oreilly house brand) is my pick for OEM performance braking.

EBC stuff isnt super high on my list due to dust and noise, even with the 'green stuff' pads.

Just my .02
Silvy
AG
Have Green Stuff pads on my DD and they are hella dust. I'd use them again for a weekend cruiser, but not a DD.
Post removed:
by user
Picard
AG
third coast.. said:

Still havent bought them yet, but how often is it generally necessary to replace rear rotors? I 100% know I need new front ones.
Depends on your driving conditions. My 2013 F150 has 118,000 miles on it with the factory rear rotors and pads. At the slow rate they're wearing I can probably hit 140,000 miles easy before my first rear brake job.

The fronts pads were replaced at 103,500 and the rotors turned. No problems.

I'd just turn your rear rotors when you need to do the rear brakes. They're less likely to warp than the front rotors.
Aggieangler93
AG
I can't get near 60K miles on mine, but I drive it like I stole it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
FunnyFarm14
AG
I got 50k on stock F250 pads & rotors. Replaced with stock again and got the same result. We tow a ton (or 7 to be exact) every weekend.

I just put PowerStop brand Z36 slotted/drilled rotors and pads on the F250. So far so good- 10,000 miles and no brake dust unlike the OEM. Seems to stop better, but hard to tell with a 3/4 ton diesel.

I would purchase again and have been referring my buddies. Cost is pretty reasonable.

TexAgg10
AG
What happened with Wagner OEX? I thought that was the board's recommendation the last time I changed pads.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.