XC90?

2,471 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cassius
ATL Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about picking up a 2016 XC90 T6. Does anyone have any experience with them and can you offer your opinion.

Other models in my radar are X5, GLE350, MDX.

I need something that will comfortably fit 3 kids and their gear. Don't say minivan! A suburban is our primary family hauler.
RingOfive
AG
ATL Aggie
AG
I should add that the primary need for this vehicle is comfort for my 30-45 minute daily commute.
'03ag
In before '03ag comes here to recommend a Telluride.
MemorialTXAg
Q7 3.0
drumboy
AG
No Pressure said:

Q7 3.0
Bruh, have you even seen the Q8?!
Dr. Nefario
That looks like a Venza with a Hyundai Tucson grill and Audi logo photoshopped on.
chet98
AG
Can't speak to the XC90 but if the Q7 is anything like the Q5 (and it should be) I'd put that on your list to at least look at. We bought a used Q5 about 9 months ago and love it.
drumboy
AG
OK, you got a point....I do love wagons so these sport luxo SUVs give me a tingle down there.
Macarthur
I've owned Volvo's before and like them very much. My wife loved hers and says she will own another when we don't have to haul kids around.

It's really interesting because you read somethings that say they are very dependable and then you read some things that say they are not reliable. Ours was reliable, but did have some repairs and those can be very expensive.

They are built like a tank though.
MemorialTXAg
Saw the new V90 today. Killer.
14TheRoad
AG
Can't really comment on the XC90 but with regards to volvo we've had a pretty good run with our 2013 S60 with 140k miles. We've had one repair that cost us $2k but other than that it's been solid and my wife really likes it. It definitely is a tank and I would not hesitate to get another one. Another 60k miles or so and she's probably moving into a V90.
ATL Aggie
AG
I drove an X5, GLE 350, and XC90 today. Of the three, the XC90 narrowly beats out the GLE. The X5 is clearly the best handling and most fun, but I am looking for comfort and practicality.

I still need to drive some others, and maybe have an extended test drive with the XC90, but I am leaning that direction.
uneedastraw
We considered an XC90. However, we went in another direction because of the engine. A 2 liter 4 cylinder engine for an approximately 4,500 lb. vehicle just didn't make sense.

We considered the Audi Q7 3.0 and if I was going to buy that size of SUV I would go with the q7 3.0. We ended up going with a smaller suv with a 3.0 liter v6.

I just can't imagine driving around a 7 seat SUV with a 4 cylinder engine. I guess the T6 gives you the supercharger but still just bothers me of the thought of driving a 3 row suv 4 cylinder vehicle.
ATL Aggie
AG
The XC 90 didn't feel underpowered to me. The T6 has both turbo and super chargers, it produces 315 hp (I don't know the torque).
longeryak
uneedastraw said:

We considered an XC90. However, we went in another direction because of the engine. A 2 liter 4 cylinder engine for an approximately 4,500 lb. vehicle just didn't make sense.

We considered the Audi Q7 3.0 and if I was going to buy that size of SUV I would go with the q7 3.0. We ended up going with a smaller suv with a 3.0 liter v6.

I just can't imagine driving around a 7 seat SUV with a 4 cylinder engine. I guess the T6 gives you the supercharger but still just bothers me of the thought of driving a 3 row suv 4 cylinder vehicle.
Same reason the F150 moved to a 6 cylinder turbo; hitting those CAFE numbers.

Which didn't help anything in the real world because everyone loves mashing the right pedal in a Boost.
longeryak
ATL Aggie said:

The XC 90 didn't feel underpowered to me. The T6 has both turbo and super chargers, it produces 315 hp (I don't know the torque).
There is a good difference between the T5 and T6 engines.

T5- 242HP and 258 lb-ft torque

T6- 316HP and 295 torque. The HP is higher than the above mentioned Q7's numbers and equal on torque at similar curb weights.
Cassius
Volvo built its first plant in the US because of the popularity of its SUVs here, for what that's worth. It started up last year. They'll build the XC90 there starting in a couple of years.

My GF owns a Volvo sedan and loves it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.