Gator won't fire

13,853 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bobby42
Bobby42
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Morning,

Hoping folks on this board might be able to help troubleshoot the problem with my gator. I actually bought it off Texags as a toy to run around at the lake. 2005 hpx model.

Last week, I ran it in the morning and then went back in the afternoon and couldn't get it to fire. Turns over as normal, but simply won't fire. Things I have tried so far:

- replace plugs; also pulled plugs from the holes, grounded them to the cylinder, and have sporadic spark

- plugs are wet when I pull them out of holes after I try to crank so don't think it's a fuel issue

- popped the valve covers off and adjusted valves to spec

- checked all fuses and all are ok

- checked all grounds I can find

- get a little puff every now and then when I spray a little starter fluid in the air intake, but not consistent at all

I've read a bunch of forums online and all seem to point back to the ignition module. I pulled it off and cleaned all electrical connectors last night with my fingers crossed that it might be the trick. It wasn't. I'm almost to the point of buying the new ignition module, but it is $300 and want to make sure I exhaust all options before I roll the dice on it.

Any ideas from the board?

Thanks
tailgatetimer10
AG
Sporadic spark is likely ignition
Goose
AG
Know anybody with that same model that you could switch out the ignition module and see if it fires?

Edit: or a similar model Gator that uses that same module. I'd assume they use similar parts like that on multiple models.
Bobby42
Goose,

Had the same thought but unfortunately, I don't know anyone with same or similar. If there is someone in the board that does and would be willing to let me borrow to test, I'd give it a shot. Located in CS.

Doesn't look like there is any other way to test the existing one.
TexAg1987
I saw some places on the internet that say they are having similar problems as you. Some bought parts that were re-labled Kawasaki parts. May be cheaper if you can cross-reference the part numbers.
TSJ
AG
Maybe not the cause, but how's the fuel filter?
Bobby42
I've crossed referenced the part number to the Kawasaki part, but can't find it any cheaper. This specific part seems to be fairly difficult to come by outside of the dealership. Many other similar parts on eBay, but not the one I think I need.

I haven't actually removed the fuel filter to look closely at it, but have put eyes on it and removed the hose from the carb to catch some fuel. In my untrained eye, it looks like it should, I suppose.

Really not all that mechanically inclined, but feel comfortable trying all the things I can find videos for online.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions. Probably should go pull the fuel filter and give it a look.
TexAg1987
Bobby42 said:

I've crossed referenced the part number to the Kawasaki part, but can't find it any cheaper. This specific part seems to be fairly difficult to come by outside of the dealership. Many other similar parts on eBay, but not the one I think I need.

I haven't actually removed the fuel filter to look closely at it, but have put eyes on it and removed the hose from the carb to catch some fuel. In my untrained eye, it looks like it should, I suppose.

Really not all that mechanically inclined, but feel comfortable trying all the things I can find videos for online.

Appreciate everyone's suggestions. Probably should go pull the fuel filter and give it a look.
I would think that if you are not getting better results with spraying starter fluid in the carb, then fuel is not your issue.

Will a dealership sell you the part and let you return it if it doesn't solve the problem?

How much for them to diagnose?
DeWrecking Crew
Take the ignition out of the loop and hotwire it, if it starts you know it is the ignition
Bobby42
the Dealership I talked to said the part isn't returnable once it is unpackaged. I also asked if they had one in the shop that was a "known good" that I could use to test.....they didn't or at least weren't willing to let me take a shot at it.

When I asked them about diagnosing, they said "you could spend up to $500 in time to just figure out what was wrong, or it might just jump right out to us".

I kinda figured if I was gonna spend money on it, I'd like to take the time to learn something new and try to do it myself...
Bobby42
Dewrecking, that is probably a bit more than what I could do myself. Wish I could do that though!
DeWrecking Crew
I don't own a mule but I'm guessing it is easier than you think

Edit to say, I say that because I'm guessing it is a simple 4 wire ignition switch...you don't even have to remove anything, take a wire and touch the positive terminal of the battery to the terminal on the starter
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

the Dealership I talked to said the part isn't returnable once it is unpackaged. I also asked if they had one in the shop that was a "known good" that I could use to test....

Typical for electric/electronic parts.
CanyonAg77
AG
DeWrecking Crew said:

Take the ignition out of the loop and hotwire it, if it starts you know it is the ignition
I read "ignition module", not "ignition switch".

I could see wiring around the latter, but not the former.
milkman00
AG
Putting this here for others that might come across your thread down the road.

If it were a diesel Gator, I would ask you how much fuel is in the tank. I had a starting issue that was the result of the braided fuel lines being bad. They would let air in and lose prime if the tank was below a certain level. It would take forever to start. I put a check valve in the fuel line and the problem went away. The fuel line did not leak fuel out though, which is why the problem was hard to find.

If starting fluid doesn't make a material difference, it seems as if you definitely have an electrical issue.
snaglepuss
Ignitor.
DeWrecking Crew
CanyonAg77 said:

DeWrecking Crew said:

I read "ignition module", not "ignition switch".

I could see wiring around the latter, but not the former.

Could be...in my mind a gator is nothing more than a suped-up atv so I'm thinking an easy ignition switch, but again, I don't own one, very well could be more complicated. I do know if you order anything with JD on the tag you will pay at least double, not exaggerating, so if you want to buy the part find out what the Kawasaki part number is and order that. If you can't find the exact one, find a Kawasaki engine closest to the one in the gator and the ignition module will most likely fit and work
TexAg1987
I found a couple of places cross referencing John Deere AM132577 / Kawasaki 21119-2160 IGNITION

Is that your john deere part #?

Can save ~$40

https://www.scrubbercity.com/Part-Number-21119-2160-p/21119-2160.htm
Bobby42
Parts mentioned above are the JD and Kawasaki part numbers. See the $260 version....thanks for that.

Looks like I should roll the dice and buy the part. Will follow up here when I get it installed. Hopefully a success story.
CanyonAg77
AG
Been farming since the 70s. I've always said that to make a part a genuine John Deere Part, you paint it green and double the price.
TexAg1987
Some of the forums I came across said that if it isn't the part, keep it you will need it soon.
Bobby42

I read the same thing. Tried to get the pry off the link you posted and of course it is out of stock.

It is amazing to me that there are no secondary market parts for those things. JD sure seems to be able to keep it under wraps.

In any case, I am hopeful it works. Will report back later this week when I get it installed.
JP76
Bob_Ag
AG
I have a 2005 Gator HPX gas with the Kawasaki motor as well. Last year some of the ignition wires had become loose over the years and I had to splice in some new connections. I noticed I had a loss of power and found out I was only running on one cylinder.

But, honestly I have been waiting for the part you are referencing, 21119-2160, to go out on mine as well. From what I've read, the symptoms are normally as you are describing. Keep us updated as I'm interested to hear the fix. Also, let us know if you buy that part and from where.
TexAg1987
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133038899289?ul_noapp=true
TexAg1987
looks like an obsolete part. Many places are out. Probably why it is so expensive.

Probably someone smarter than me could figure out a similar part that you could modify the harness and make work.
ghollow
AG
[url]https://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/53q5v-john-deere-gator-4x4-hpx-kwasiaki-gas-engine-will-not-start.html[/url]

check out link. it sounds like your problem
EskimoJoe
your spark plugs shouldn't be wet. it is flooding somehow. start with checking the float in the carburetor.
DeWrecking Crew
Most likely wet because of inconsistent or weak firing of spark plugs, leading back to ignition module
Bobby42
I sucked it up and bought the part of the dealership because I could get it before the weekend. Really wanted gator back up and running before we head to the lake on Friday....so extra $40 on the part to make that happen.

Part should be here this morning, and I'll install this evening. Fingers crossed!
TexAg1987
Bobby42
I couldn't wait. Picked part up at lunch and installed. Fired right up!

As a bonus, I now have finely tuned valves, new plugs, new air filter, etc.....ha!

Thanks to everyone here for the suggestions.

Next mechanical project is getting a 1988 Kawasaki stand up jet ski running.

Thanks again for the help on the gator.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.