Tesla model 3 performance

3,896 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by drumboy
Bradley.Kohr.II
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holy smokes it's fast.

And very comfortable. Reminds me of my 88 Buick LeSabre crossed with my old Jetta - both cars I really liked.

Now I just have to wait for it to come in
Stros Schadenfreude
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Reminds me of my 88 Buick LeSabre crossed with my old Jetta -

I can barely restrain my excitement
tailgatetimer10
AG
Stros Schadenfreude said:

Bradley.Kohr.II said:

Reminds me of my 88 Buick LeSabre crossed with my old Jetta -

I can barely restrain my excitement

Tesla's are pretty cool but that description is so awful
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Old Buicks rode great, and had comfy seats and a giant trunk.

My diesel Jetta was a very well designed car - very easy to organize.

If it makes you feel better it accelerates like a 4th gen Viper...
TSJ
AG
I only test drove one with a single motor, but once you start approaching highway speeds acceleration drops off noticeably.

I can't get over that minimalist ikea display of an interior.
Leeman
Tesla is hemorrhaging $700M a quarter (even with all the Model 3 sales). Just went out to get $2B more in capital. How long before they finally shutter the doors ?
TMoney2007
AG
Leeman said:

Tesla is hemorrhaging $700M a quarter (even with all the Model 3 sales). Just went out to get $2B more in capital. How long before they finally shutter the doors ?
SHHHHH

I'm not saying they're going to collapse for sure, but it seems like they pulled some accounting tricks to get their revenue into the black for a couple quarters. A $1billion+ profit swing quarter over quarter doesn't inspire confidence in me.
drumboy
AG
Leeman said:

I don't get these takes and the folks hoping they fail. I'm not dropping $40K for one but I haven't heard anything but great things from the early adopters and hell, fastest production sedan is badass. They're a new company stealing marketshare from the entrenched luxury brands.

They had two profitable quarters and then a loss for one quarter, apparently due to overseas delivery but they're not predicting this quarter to be in the black either. Obviously the investors expect this for a tech company.

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-losing-money-again-deliveries-decline/

Aggietaco
AG
Just accept that, like Apple, some people are going to hate them for no reason but to hate something.
Flashdiaz
AG
even at it's worst, they won't close their doors, a bigger company will buy them.

I hope they succeed and push other brands to innovate faster.
dodger02
AG
How is Leeman's post interpreted as a "take" (a term with negative connotation) and/or anything resembling a hope for failure?

It's a legitimate question and a concern voiced by many in the financial and automotive industries. He didn't comment on the quality issues that have been of concern or take potshots at Elon Musk. No one trashed or attempted to discredit the brand.

Tesla isn't a car company. It's not "stealing market share". In 2018, it's North American market share was 1.18%. No mainstream car company is shaking in their boots worried about Tesla's newest model. Tesla is a technology firm that makes cars - a fact backed by their quality and production (and subsequent financial) troubles. If this were any of the big 3 automakers or mainstream foreign car companies, they'd be toast and a complete laughingstock.

Investors aren't backing Tesla because they believe in the cars they produce. Investors are backing their technology: batteries, drivetrain, safety, and autonomous driving. The big car companies are letting Musk blow his wad developing all of these technologies and are letting him take the hundreds of millions each quarter in losses to do so. Let him work out all the kinks and lose his ass doing so. The industry will profit on Tesla's eventual successes, whenever those arise.

dodger02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

even at it's worst, they won't close their doors, a bigger company will buy them.

Exactly
jimscott85
AG
dodger02 said:

Flashdiaz said:

Exactly
My concern is that Tesla is another Enron. There's a viable underlying business, but the financials don't back up the hype, or at least it's a possibility. They're about to put a 34 year old CFO at the helm that's been there 10 years. In other words, his real world financial experience is nil outside of Tesla.

Debt load and purchase obligations, combined with no positive cash flow, is a huge red flag. Any shake-up in the economy threatens their ability to sell their cars.

They either need to turn profitable in the coming 12-24 months or they need to demonstrate they can get moving in that direction. Otherwise, you have to hope that the remainder of the board is independent enough to recognize an opportunity if a buyer comes along. Meanwhile, while racking up debt, the prospects of a viable buyer appear shaky.

I want competition to result from their disruption to the market, but if they can't survive long enough for a takeover, there may not be enough left of the scrap heap for anyone to pick up and carry forward.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Oh, I have grave doubts about the company, but I agree, its too successful a brand to not be bought up.

The churn rate among the executives is a large flag.

I'm buying a car, not a large stock position.

With that said, I think much of the appeal, of that car, is who else is selling a smooth-riding, large car?

I'm 6'4", and about 275. The car is roomy, and comfortable. The only other car like that, is a VW Beetle, and the Tesla has more comfortable seats.

Aggietaco
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

...a VW Beetle...

Your comparisons...

ac04
lol at the VW beetle being the only other car that is "smooth-riding and large." someone needs to compile a list of all the cars OP has considered so far, this is quite a search.
drumboy
AG
dodger02 said:

How is Leeman's post interpreted as a "take" (a term with negative connotation) and/or anything resembling a hope for failure?
Quote:

First sentence is false or at best misleading since they had two profitable quarters before this one. Last sentence implies that it's just a matter of time before they shut down.

Maybe they crash & get bought for their technology but as of right now only GM has a higher market cap among the big three. I'm not a finance export so who knows.

How does a 34 year old CFO compare with other tech companies? I think that's the same age as Zuckerberg.

My biggest beef is the model 3 looks dorky and no way I'd spend $55-$60K on the fast one over an M3 even if it's fast and has great tech.
Bassmaster
AG
Aggietaco said:

Just accept that, like Apple, some people are going to hate them for no reason but to hate something.
People hate them because their CEO is a pompous fraud.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
VW Beetle isn't smooth riding, just roomy - yeah, it was bit comprehensive... I wasn't happy about not being able to get another e550 convertible/having to give up convertibles. I was looking for a "date night" car for a middle-aged bachelor, not a performance car. (For me, that will always be a 4th gen Viper.)

If you're curious:

Mustang GT convertible. Rode like a brick, but not bad if I was 20 years younger. Should have looked at the 350R, but I was looking for something more comfortable.

E neutered, 50% higher than a 5 year old model, with less power cabriolet.

Jaguar I-Pace (nice car, worried about range/lack of rapid charging)

Chevy bolt (very nice car, for the money. bit small inside for longer trips, and the same issue about rapid charging.)

Dodge Hellcat Redeye Widebody... Er, very good car... Crack/4th gen viper level good car, with very uncomfortable seats/only a weekend car, so I'd mainly be driving my work truck (base 6 cylinder 2013 ram - works well for its purpose.)

Camaro Convertible Z1LE? (The 650 HP one) Really, a good car. Surprisingly so, for the money - especially given the discounts. Bit busy though

Ford Ranger - nice truck, didn't need one, but will be my next work truck.
F 150 - bit rough/heavy for a half-ton. I think I'd rather a get a 3/4 ton.

Ford mid-size SUV - very nice. not built like a truck.

Complete Idiot
Bassmaster said:

Aggietaco said:

I guess pompous is subjective, but I don't think he meets the literal definition. Crazy and a bit condescending, sure.

But how is he a fraud?
Doug Collins
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

VW Beetle isn't smooth riding, just roomy - yeah, it was bit comprehensive... I wasn't happy about not being able to get another e550 convertible/having to give up convertibles. I was looking for a "date night" car for a middle-aged bachelor, not a performance car. (For me, that will always be a 4th gen Viper.)

If you're curious:

Mustang GT convertible. Rode like a brick, but not bad if I was 20 years younger. Should have looked at the 350R, but I was looking for something more comfortable.

Chevy bolt (very nice car, for the money. bit small inside for longer trips, and the same issue about rapid charging.)

Dodge Hellcat Redeye Widebody... Er, very good car... Crack/4th gen viper level good car, with very uncomfortable seats/only a weekend car, so I'd mainly be driving my work truck (base 6 cylinder 2013 ram - works well for its purpose.)

Camaro Convertible Z1LE? (The 650 HP one) Really, a good car. Surprisingly so, for the money - especially given the discounts. Bit busy though

Jesus Christ no wonder you're single...
ac04
drumboy
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Bassmaster said:

Aggietaco said:

I guess pompous is subjective, but I don't think he meets the literal definition. Crazy and a bit condescending, sure.

But how is he a fraud?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#Career

I wish I was a fraud. Paypal/SpaceX/Tesla among many other companies he's contributed to. Yall probably just mad he got blown with Joe Rogan.
Complete Idiot
drumboy said:

Complete Idiot said:

Bassmaster said:

Aggietaco said:

But how is he a fraud?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk#Career

I wish I was a fraud. Paypal/SpaceX/Tesla among many other companies he's contributed to. Yall probably just mad he got blown with Joe Rogan.

Exactly. Even if his only accomplishment was contributing to the creation of this thread, he's by any measure successfully contributing to humanity.
drumboy
AG
F this badass electric car, I remember being blown away around 99 when I was able to send money via PayPal for a paintball gun I bought on eBay.
Endo Ag
AG
I've got 20,000 miles on my Model 3 Performance. The miles are so high since it is the only car that ever leaves town for road trip's now, and my kids do travel sports. My wife leaves her explorer in the driveway and runs errands anytime she can. I guarantee that never happened in my convertible BMW M3, which was WAY less fun to drive.

I've had a few side cars over the years, but always kept an F150 in the driveway. Some periods of my life, I needed a truck more than others, but no matter what, I always drove the truck some just because I enjoyed it, no matter how hot the garage car was. I sold it in February after it sat for all but 3 days in the prior six months.

The car is just that ****ing good.

I don't buy and sell stock, but I am a Tesla fanboy. I wouldn't worry about the company in the long run simply because their tech is way out in front, and nobody who drives or rides in a Tesla wants to buy other cars.
Flaith
AG
Bradley.Kohr.II said:

If you're curious:

wat
Bassmaster
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Bassmaster said:

Aggietaco said:

But how is he a fraud?
Well, for starters he was charged with fraud. That seems to me a good indicator to me.
Complete Idiot
Bassmaster said:

Complete Idiot said:

Bassmaster said:

Aggietaco said:

But how is he a fraud?
Well, for starters he was charged with fraud. That seems to me a good indicator to me.
Haha, nice. Touche.

Although I would think most would consider the contextual use of "fraud" to imply what one calls a person who claims to be, or is attributed to be, something that they are not. Rather than used as a legal term, in which case I think "pompous fraudster" is more appropriate.
Endo Ag
AG
I'd say Musk is full of **** 80% of the time. The other 20% he does things others proclaim to be impossible, even after they've been done. He's like that friend who breaks plans all the time, but the other 20% make it worth staying friends.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Endo Ag said:

I'd say Musk is full of **** 80% of the time. The other 20% he does things others proclaim to be impossible, even after they've been done. He's like that friend who breaks plans all the time, but the other 20% make it worth staying friends.

The issue is, to develop the things he has done.. You would have to have a ton of dream big ideas.. Many that won't work, but a few that will. That's normal and fine. Where it goes wrong is when you're broadcasting these ideas to the world and you fall short of your projection
drumboy
AG
I've worked at a couple tech companies that were more mature than a startup and all of them had eccentric CEOs that talked very large and had even bigger egos. I'd say it comes with the territory.

Now if you really want to see what pompous fraud CEO looks like....
Tree Hugger
AG
I'll take the bait, who is that?
cav14
Leeman said:

Just watch this video for your answer.

Tesla has been doing this ever since it was formed and along with that people like you questioning and/or calling for the bankruptcy of Tesla.
AZAG08
AG
Tree Hugger said:

I'll take the bait, who is that?
Billy McFarland
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.