05 Sierra failed inspection

5,415 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tagguy
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in the rust belt. 05 Sierra, 170k miles. It's a good truck; I don't want a new one. It failed inspection today because the rocker panels are rusted and have holes in them (like every other truck of its vintage).

As I see it, my options are spend thousands on new rocker panels (more than the truck is worth) or do some ****ty foam/bondo job to cover the holes, or maybe a slip over panel?

What's the best play here to fix this and only spend a couple hundred?

I really just want to pass inspection. This is my hunting/fishing/boat hauling/commute 1 mile to work truck, and I cannot afford a new $500 truck payment, and shouldn't have to.
AggieChemist
AG
Something like this, maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-14068-Rocker-Chevrolet-Extended/dp/B01I4Y1L1K
BrazosDog02
AG
Rocker panel is a thing they inspect?

Dafuq?
hatchback
AG
Which state is this that's failing vehicles for rust?
AggieChemist
AG
Apparently having holes anywhere will cause you to fail, if you go somewhere that they are a stickler for the rules.

I was completely blindsided. After some research, I have ordered the slipover panels referenced above. I will clean up the rust, install, and report back. I will try to remember to take pics. Hopefully that will pass inspection.

If I can clean this up for $200 I'll be happy. Plus, the rust is unsightly and I tried to get it taken care of a couple years ago when it started but the body shop I talked to refused to do rust work as "we can't warranty it". I didn't want it warrantied... just cleaned up.
AggieChemist
AG
hatchback said:

West Virginia.
AggieChemist
AG
AggieChemist said:

hatchback said:

West Virginia.
And the ridiculous this is that it's West Virginia. My truck is still a nice truck. There are tens of thousands of unsafe POSes on the road, but it's MY truck and it's rust spots that's the problem.

hatchback
AG
AggieChemist said:

hatchback said:

West Virginia.

I'd understand if you said Michigan or Illinois or Indiana because I'd expect those states to overregulate something like this. But West Virginia?!?! Lol.
Picard
AG
Just remind the inspector you live in the Rust Belt

clarythedrill
Worst state for this type of BS is Vermont. Maybe I am just a conspiracy theorist, but I truly think the state inspection offices are in cahoots with the state to stimulate the economy up there buy forcing you to fix every little thing wrong. Up there, you have to take the vehicle back to the original inspection station you use, no hopping around trying to find the "easy" shop.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
time for some JC WhiteTrash stick on rocker panels.

Glitter or Fake Diamond plate....
JSKolache
AG
Inspections are stupid.

Pop quiz aholes - how many states still require periodic vehicle inspections?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
JSKolache said:

Inspections are stupid.

Pop quiz aholes - how many states still require periodic vehicle inspections?
Safety? 10 or 12 last time I checked.
CanyonAg77
AG
AggieChemist said:

hatchback said:

West Virginia.
That's what you get from driving on country roads that take you home, mountain momma.
Aggie Squared
AG
Do they check under duck tape for holes?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
AggieChemist said:

hatchback said:

West Virginia.

West Virginny? Just give the guy a jar of shine and a couple of cartons of heaters to pass the truck.
AggieChemist
AG
Update:

Received and installed rocker panel covers. No holes are visible from the outside of the truck. Drove back to garage yesterday afternoon and was told I have to have it reinspected by the same asshol that failed it, so I have to come back on Sunday morning.

I will be seven dimensions of pissed off if this doesn't pass.
BrazosDog02
AG
AggieChemist said:

Update:

Received and installed rocker panel covers. No holes are visible from the outside of the truck. Drove back to garage yesterday afternoon and was told I have to have it reinspected by the same asshol that failed it, so I have to come back on Sunday morning.

Do you have a dash cam?

If so, can you turn that on when you go in?
Complete Idiot
AggieChemist said:

Update:

You took it to a different place and they forced you to go back to the original place? Or took to same place but they are forcing you to talk to the employee that failed you? Do they enter the reason for failure into a database?
Prune Tracy
AgOutsideAustin said:

AggieChemist said:

hatchback said:

West Virginia.

West Virginny? Just give the guy a jar of shine and a couple of cartons of heaters to pass the truck.

Or naked pictures of his sister.
Bregxit
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

AggieChemist said:

hatchback said:

West Virginia.

Have you priced a carton of smokes lately? Could almost get the body work done for that much!
AggieChemist
AG
Complete Idiot said:

AggieChemist said:

Update:

You took it to a different place and they forced you to go back to the original place? Or took to same place but they are forcing you to talk to the employee that failed you? Do they enter the reason for failure into a database?

I took it back to be reinspected at the same place that it failed but the guy who failed me wasn't working so I had to come back and see him this am. He took one look at the truck, said, "looks nice, works for me" and gave me my sticker. In and out in 10 minutes.

I still think it's ridiculous that I spent over $200 just to cover up a non-problem. But the rust did bug me and now I don't have to look at it for a couple years until the rust advances past my slap-on rocker panel covers.
easttexasaggie04
AG
1. Leave it alone
2. Move back to Texas

3. ????

4. Profit
aTm2004
AG
AggieChemist said:

Update:

I took my Vette in for inspection about 10 years ago and it got failed because the guy said there was a spot in the rear tire that was too close to the wear indicator. He wouldn't pass me for anything and told me I had to get new tires and come back. Given its a weekend car and rarely driven, buying a new tire when it wasn't even at the wear indicator wasn't happening. I stopped at my dad's to ***** to him about it, then it hit me...his Vsux Camaro wheels should fit. Sho'nuff, they do! I popped his 2 rear on the rear of the Vette and drove back. When I got there, the dude that failed me was pissed but couldn't fail me. Another guy who worked there laughed his ass off and give me props.
sts7049
AG
it's a joke that you had to see the same guy even!
BrazosDog02
AG
Man, Back in the day, I'd just have my buddy take my info and my money and he'd bring an inspection sticker to school the next week for me to slap on.

I guess those days are gone, yes?
CanyonAg77
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Man, Back in the day, I'd just have my buddy take my info and my money and he'd bring an inspection sticker to school the next week for me to slap on.

I guess those days are gone, yes?

My inspection guy uses a bar code reader to scan the VIN plate....
Silvy
AG
Well it's been 3 years since inspection stickers were placed on windshields. So yes, those days are gone.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Inspections should go away unless you are ticketed for a specific problem or the manufacturer puts out a safety issue. These are cash cows for places in metro areas and pain in the asses for those shops in non metro areas.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
OP, whats your email address?
Ragoo
AG
Toothlesscouchburner@gmail.com
Centerpole90
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

My inspection guy uses a bar code reader to scan the VIN plate....
My inspection guy doesn't even know what a bar code reader is.

If the OPs experience held up in the RGV there wouldn't be 6 cars more than 4 model years old that passed; hell, inspections, licenses, and insurance are pretty much optional here anyway.
AggieChemist
AG
Ragoo said:

Toothlesscouchburner@gmail.com
AggieChemist
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

OP, whats your email address?
It's in my profile.
AgEng06
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.