Uneven tire wear - every other tread

8,189 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by hurricanejake02
Todd 02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a 2009 Chevy 2500 HD crew cab, Z71, Duramax with about 212,000 miles. For quite a while now, the inside shoulder of driver's side front tire wears on every other tread. They've been wearing like this for about 3 years now.

I changed out the front hub assembly on both sides back in February 2015. The bearing on the driver's side went out. I changed out the front shocks in April 2015. I've tightened the torsion bars to give the truck a little higher ride in the front end. The tread wear issue predated all of these. Other than that, nothing has been done.

I've checked for looseness in all of the front suspension, but don't feel like the tie rods, steering, bearings, etc are loose or out of alignment.

I had an alignment performed back in the fall. The front driver's side was out of camber and the steering was pulling left. Both were adjusted. The truck still sometimes pulls left and sometimes doesn't.

Any ideas?!?! TIA!

ETA: Actual photos of my tire.
Silvy
AG
Has this happened on multiple tires in same location after the attempts to fix?

If you had this issue before parts replacement & alignment, I believe the tread wear won't return to normal.
MouthBQ98
AG
Both my suburban and old 2500 slowly did something similar over time. I just kept rotating tires and kept alignments, but never found a real solution. Seems like inside edge wear was just what they did.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
That seems odd to me that it would wear on every other tread like that. Maybe on new tires where every other tread may be thicker, but after a while shouldn't it be wearing uniformly at that inside point?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Some key points for consistent and even tire wear.

1. Have alignment checked.
2. Make sure you're rotating regularly (5-10K intervals)
3. Make sure tires are balanced and proper pressure is maintained.
4. Address worn suspension components. Have a professional alignment shop check these things.

I see the photo you linked is from a civic forum, so without seeing your actual tire, its hard to diagnose. Feathering and Chop are hard to chase, but regular rotation can reduce these symptoms if the suspension is in good shape. I'm guessing since your truck is almost 10 years old, that some of the parts are indeed worn.

For RWD and 4WD (RWD based) vehicles, I prefer this rotation pattern "A" as shown below. IMO, This allows the tires to go on the back and 'nibble down' the uneven treadwear, and flatten things out rather than just swapping front to rear, which I think 90% of the places do (i.e. front to back with no crossing).

CanyonAg77
AG
Had this same thing happen on the MDX, in spite of alignment, rotation, struts....

I think it is something about the tire design. It happened on one brand, not on any others. I can't recall the brand, maybe Kuhmo.
Todd 02
AG
Updated OP with actual photos.

These are Hankook ATm RF10s. This is my third set. First set didn't. Second and third did.

Wears like this, no matter what tire.

I rotate my own tires and always do Method A. That's what the manual shows and how I was taught.

Try to keep minimum pressure to keep the warning light off. I'd rather run them a little lower but don't like the warning light.

Thinking it could have something to do with the truck pulling left and having to hold the steering wheel a little right to compensate. But the outside of the passenger front doesn't wear unevenly.

Also should note that the front bearing is out again on the driver's side. That leads me to believe that something else in the suspension is bad. Had it to an alignment shop here in town and they checked everything. Nothing out of ordinary.
hurricanejake02
AG
Has it always been the same brand/model of tire you are currently running?

I just wonder if the tread pattern is playing a part here, since every other tread is actually every tread of the same shape/size.

OR.... a problem I had with my '09 2500HD was rubbing at full lock right turn on the driver's side. (Original thread here - unfortunately, I don't have those pics anymore) Slightly larger than stock tires, on stock rims, rubbed on the inside edge on the steering components. Do you have any abnormally clean spots where this tire is rubbing?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.