Ford Towing questions

1,300 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ag for Life
Danno93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
'17 Expedition XLT. I purchased a new camping trailer and went in to have the the tow package added after the fact. Transmission cooler and 7 pin were no problem. As purchased capacity is 6,600 and trailer is 5,600 dry, but I don't like to be that close to capacity. Tow package takes it to 9,200

The dealership I went to said that the Ford brake controller was not being recognized by the computer and can't do so.

Does this sound right?

If not, what is best/easiest place to aftermarket it? (East side of Dallas and I will sleep much better if someone with more experience than me does it)
MouthBQ98
AG
Ford makes a product incompatible with its own vehicle?

I'm 100% sure several third party controllers are made that will work. Any competent trailer place should be able to install one for you.

The towing package is usually one thing I insist on even though paying the cost for it and financing it makes it more expensive than aftermarket. The integrated ones they have now are pretty nice. Interested to hear how your '17 does. We have a '17 EL and haven't towed more than a loaded utility trailer with it so far, maybe 4000lb. It did that very well.
Danno93
Outside of the 8.3 MPG it did very well. The weight dist. hitch did its job although things did get a little shakey around 75, so I have to use a personal governor. Can't get in a hurry and still have to learn to anticipate better.
BrazosDog02
AG
No. They have to enable the tow command. There is nothing aftermarket that is equal or superior to the IBC for Ford. It is absolutely compatible unless its a trim level issue but i doubt that seriously. 1ags can confirm.....
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Do you have the OEM brake controller already in your possession?
Danno93
OEM brake controller??

They installed the controller, but then removed it when it wouldn't connect. The trailer, which came equipped with electric brakes, I now have in my possession. Otherwise I have no other parts/pieces. Please forgive my ignorance.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Where are y ou?
Danno93
NE Dallas suburbs, work is downtownish
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Ill be in the DFW area next weekend for a wedding and can bring my software to see if we can get it to talk, but if you dont have the Brake Controller installed, its kind of useless.
Danno93
thanks for the offer, but yes it's not installed. One of the truck accessory places in town says they can get me hooked up so I'll go there soon.
The Wonderer
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Ill be in the DFW area next weekend for a wedding and can bring my software to see if we can get it to talk, but if you dont have the Brake Controller installed, its kind of useless.
1ags taking his show on the road?!
Ag for Life
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

If you get bored and what to help me pull the boat anchor 350 out of my old Chevy truck then let me know.
Ag for Life
AG
Inadvertent thumbs down, not sure how that happened
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.