Another BMW question

2,631 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TXTransplant
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, I'm on the fence about trading in my 2012 X3 with 80.5k miles. I do love the car, but I'm thinking it may be time to consider moving on. The car is a 28i with a 6-cylinder, which you can't get anymore. To get another 6-cylinder, I would have to upgrade to a 35i. However, there appear to be maybe 5 or 6 X3 35i vehicles in the greater Houston area (and maybe 2 more in College Station). I ordered the X3 I have now, but I don't want to go that route again. Is there a reason why there are so few of these cars at the dealerships (there are tons of 4-cylinder X3s available)? Is this particular model one that is usually a custom order?
'03ag
The ditched the straight 6 as the base engine because the 4 cylinder has more power, more torque, and gets better gas mileage.

The don't stock many of the 35i because it adds 7 grand to the base price and not many people want to spend that on an X3.
TXTransplant
Ok, I'm willing to be schooled by this board on the finer points of performance...

Looking at the engine specs for my 6-cylinder 2012, it has 240 hp and 221 lbf-ft of torque with a gas mileage of 19/25. Most of my driving is not highway, and I get over 20 mpg (usually about 21-23).

For the 2017 28i, you get 241 hp and 258 lbf-ft of torque and 21/28 mpg.

Can you really say the 2017 engine is more powerful? Or is it essentially equivalent but with two fewer cylinders?

For comparison, the 2017 35i has 300 hp and 300 lbf-ft of torque at 26/19. And while base price is $7k more, I was able to find a 35i that is better equipped than my 2012 28i for about the same as what I paid in 2012.

I'm not even sure I want to go the BMW route again, but a lot of mid-size SUV manufacturers have scaled back to a 4-cylinder option only. I had a 4-cylinder Honda CRV and most definitely prefer driving my current X3 over that car.
The Wonderer
AG
The turbo 4 is torquier and is generally regarded as the best engine for that platform. I've been cross shopping the X3/X5 with some of their equivalents in my F150 replacement adventure. I have a 335is and that motor would be a little much to me in an X3.
Javelina
AG
40 ft-lbs of torque in a lighter package is going to make a better performing car.

Just go drive one of each back to back and let your butt decide.
TXTransplant
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'm just expecting a 4-cylinder to drive like my old CRV, and that's clearly not the case.

One of the reasons I'm leaning away from the X3 is because I've come to really dislike the RFTs. I'm not sure I want to go that route again.

I drove a Macan S this past weekend, and really liked it. But if I want to stay under my budget, I'd have to go with a pre-owned 2015 or 2016 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k-30k miles. All three cars I've purchased on my own were brand-new, so used/pre-owned is unchartered territory for me. There is also the option of keeping my current X3 and trying to take it to 100k.
The Wonderer
AG
TXTransplant said:

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'm just expecting a 4-cylinder to drive like my old CRV, and that's clearly not the case.

One of the reasons I'm leaning away from the X3 is because I've come to really dislike the RFTs. I'm not sure I want to go that route again.

I drove a Macan S this past weekend, and really liked it. But if I want to stay under my budget, I'd have to go with a pre-owned 2015 or 2016 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k-30k miles. All three cars I purchased on my own were brand-new, so used/pre-owned is unchartered territory for me. There is also the option of keeping my current X3 and trying to take it to 100k.
Buy a spare tire to keep in the back along with a little bottle jack and lug wrench and ditch the RFTs.
TXTransplant
The Wonderer said:

TXTransplant said:

I drove a Macan S this past weekend, and really liked it. But if I want to stay under my budget, I'd have to go with a pre-owned 2015 or 2016 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20k-30k miles. All three cars I purchased on my own were brand-new, so used/pre-owned is unchartered territory for me. There is also the option of keeping my current X3 and trying to take it to 100k.
Buy a spare tire to keep in the back along with a little bottle jack and lug wrench and ditch the RFTs.

I ditched the RFTs years ago but never did get a spare. That bit me in the a$$ a few weeks ago. And even the non-RFTs are becoming a PITA to get. I'm ashamed to say that I currently have three different types of tires on the car because the ones that fit are so damn hard to find. I'm also tired of getting lectured from the tire places that no one should have ever been willing to remove the RFTs in the first place.
The Wonderer
AG
TXTransplant said:

The Wonderer said:

TXTransplant said:

I ditched the RFTs years ago but never did get a spare. That bit me in the a$$ a few weeks ago. And even the non-RFTs are becoming a PITA to get. I'm ashamed to say that I currently have three different types of tires on the car because the ones that fit are so damn hard to find. I'm also tired of getting lectured from the tire places that no one should have ever been willing to remove the RFTs in the first place.
I can't ditch them because I don't have room in the trunk with the top down even fit a donut spare. The OEM RFTs are noisy as hell - even with the top up.
TXTransplant
The Wonderer said:

TXTransplant said:

The Wonderer said:

TXTransplant said:

I can't ditch them because I don't have room in the trunk with the top down even fit a donut spare. The OEM RFTs are noisy as hell - even with the top up.

The noise was my biggest complaint. But wasn't there also a class-action lawsuit over the low-quality factory RFTs BMW was putting on their cars?

What's your verdict on a suitable X3/X5 equivalent? I don't like the Lexus (not to mention, everybody and their brother has one), and after driving by the X3 for 5 years, I'm not sure I'll be happy with something like a Toyota, Mazda, or Hyundai. Although, maybe now is the time to break the cycle of buying expensive, high-maintenance foreign cars (it's genetic, and I get it from both sides).
'03ag
37 ft-lbs of torque is a pretty massive bump. So yeah it's significantly more powerful. You also have to look at the rpm number. In the turbo 4 peak torque is achieved throughout almost the entire power band. Not just up high. It's faster and a lot more driveable in that package than the NA straight 6.

You'll have to drive it to see for yourself. If it's me though I go used Macan and never look back.
Javelina
AG
I'm going to throw you a curve and tell you to pick up a GTI or go all in and get the R.
TXTransplant
Javelina said:

I'm going to throw you a curve and tell you to pick up a GTI or go all in and get the R.

A VW? Considering my mom drove a diesel Jetta for a while (and I think my dad had a VW in the 70s), and that's where I inherited most of my proclivity for weird cars from, that suggestion isn't such a curve.
Javelina
AG
It looks like you are really looking for something fun to drive with some room. The Mk7 GTI is a ton of fun, especially with a stage 2 tune.

The R is a little rocketship with a little work.

They're both great right out of the box if you don't care to tinker.
TXTransplant
Javelina said:

It looks like you are really looking for something fun to drive with some room. The Mk7 GTI is a ton of fun, especially with a stage 2 tune.

The R is a little rocketship with a little work.

They're both great right out of the box if you don't care to tinker.

Yes...fun to drive is exactly what I want. Unfortunately, it also has to have the capability to transport a tuba. I'm afraid those two things may be mutually exclusive.
Javelina
AG
A sousaphone or a tuba?

A tuba would fit with the rear seat folded down. You'd probably only have to fold down the small side of the rear bench. There's quite a bit of room back there. (Strangely enough, I used to play the tuba and I've owned a GTI, just not concurrently).
TXTransplant
Javelina said:

A sousaphone or a tuba?

A tuba would fit with the rear seat folded down. You'd probably only have to fold down the small side of the rear bench. There's quite a bit of room back there. (Strangely enough, I used to play the tuba and I've owned a GTI, just not concurrently).

Haha...A tuba, at least for the foreseeable future. I haven't heard any mention of a sousaphone, even for high school marching band.
dlp3719
AG
When comparing tq/hp peak numbers, n/a and FI motors have very differently shaped power curves.

Area under the curve matters. Google for some dyno charts on both cars. You are going to get that high tq/hp over a wider rpm range with the turbo four verse the 6.

You can throw a JB4 or flash tune on the turbo 4 for more power too. Add 35-50 tq and hp at the wheels.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Boost flex
dlp3719
AG
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43439&highlight=Dyno
dubi
AG
1agswitchin4lanes said:

Boost flex

Only problem? They are ugly!
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I'll just leave this here....

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/20/bmw-x3-m-spy-shots/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-6
Aero95
AG
I'm in lust!
hatchback
AG
Oh that's nice.
TXTransplant
1agswitchin4lanes said:

I'll just leave this here....

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/20/bmw-x3-m-spy-shots/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-6

I think I could tolerate the RFTs if driving that...
TXTransplant
Follow-up question for you experts (not engine-related, though).

The 3-year resale on a Macan S is 62.5%. How would you prorate that for one at 21 months and 18.5k miles. Original purchase price was probably ~$65k.
The Wonderer
AG
What type of Macan is it? The prices seem to vary wildly.
The Wonderer
AG
Nevermind, looked again and saw that it's the S. Seems that prices are all Around the $45-51k mark.

I'd offer a little south of $45k and see what happens. That's a little under 70% of MSRP of $65k.
TXTransplant
The Wonderer said:

Nevermind, looked again and saw that it's the S. Seems that prices are all Around the $45-51k mark.

I'd offer a little south of $45k and see what happens. That's a little under 70% of MSRP of $65k.

That aggressive, huh? I like the way you think. It's listed at a hair under $53, but it's not at a Porsche dealership, so it's not CPO. I was thinking $47k (and was concerned that might get me laughed out of the dealership).
The Wonderer
AG
TXTransplant said:

The Wonderer said:

That aggressive, huh? I like the way you think. It's listed at a hair under $53, but it's not at a Porsche dealership, so it's not CPO. I was thinking $47k (and was concerned that might get me laughed out of the dealership).
$47k might be more inline as appropriately aggressive.
Flaith
AG
Comparing a X3 to a Macan is like apples to Ar15s. If you want a Macan S and your barrier is price, there is but one answer.

Audi SQ5
TXTransplant
Oh, a Macan would be a huge upgrade from my X3, both in peformance and price. And upgrading is sort of the point, if I decide to trade.

I made an offer on the used one mentioned above, but the sales manager was playing games, so I had no issue walking away and am back to thinking I should just keep what I have. I think my son has done a "build-your-own" comparison for just about every comparable make/model SUV on the market right now.

As a side note, I got a flyer in the mail from BMW on Friday for the new 2018 X3 M.
Buck O Five
AG
Casting a vote for a gently used Macan. Style and performance.
'03ag
I drove a Macan GTS today at a porsche driving event. What a machine. They had us on a little autocross track and holy moly. I've driven sport sedans that weren't as tossable.

Fun fact there were several ags out there so we got to talk a little Hogs. Also, I won the timed event and now have a $300 Bose speaker for a trophy.
SteveA
AG
I have a MK7 GTI and I don't think that I would buy it again. It's a fun car, reasonably confortable for it's size and has all the bells an d whistles that I want, but I've just had a lot of small issues with it and I would rather be out of it and in to something else, than keep dealing with them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.