Battery Recommendations

2,769 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by labman
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
'12 GMC Sierra. OEM battery is acting very much like the one in my old truck did right before it left me in a parking lot pissed off. Figure I got my money's worth with five years on it and want to replace it in my garage with a beer instead of a rainy parking lot in the dark.

Hate Walmart, don't have a Sam's or Costco card, and need something available in SA, Houston, Austin if and when it finally ****'s the bed as well.
permabull
AG
sts7049
AG
5 years on the OEM? may as well buy a lotto ticket while you're at it
tamc93
AG
5 years is great (I usually only get 2-3)! I buy mine at Autozone since they are everywhere and have a decent warranty. Have a diesel and both mine went out under warranty (around year 3) and they replaced them both for free (nice $250+savings).
UnderoosAg
AG
sts7049 said:

5 years on the OEM? may as well buy a lotto ticket while you're at it

I bought the truck used in 2014 with 12k miles on it. If you believe the Carfax, it looks like a local dealer had it for a while as a demo/loaner/GM's housekeeper's ride/whatever before it went to auction. I bought it from another dealer who's niche is 1-3 year old trucks, SUV's, sports cars, and bro'd out lifted trucks. It's entirely possible one of the two dealers really dressed it up and replaced parts. Considering I found an ashtray full of Marlboro light butts a couple of months after I bought it, I doubt it. So, if neither dealer replaced OEM parts with other OEM parts, then I got 5 years on the battery and about 60Kish miles on the original Goodyear tires. I am most certainly not complaining.
BrazosDog02
AG
Advance auto and retailmenot coupon codes.

You're welcome. All the same battery. Advance, walmart, sams, costco, oreilly.....Johnson controls. All are good batteries. Walmart will usually coat less than anywhere, even with coupon codes, but I do buy advance for my diesel..the gold ones.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Advance or Autozone red top are decent.

I like Walmart batteries because you can find one anywhere close by anytime.

The last battery I bought was an interstate from Costco. Much cheaper than Walmart, AZ and AA.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Only my experience, but I wouldn't put an Interstate in a pickup. A car maybe, but not a truck. I never had good luck with truck batteries so I won't make a recommendation.
Burdizzo
AG
There are a lot of Chinese junk batteries being sold by retailers. I went through several O'Reilly batteries in my wife's car before I finally quit. The guy at my local OR said he had a pallet of returned batteries people were exchanging under warranty. I started running Deka batteries in my old diesel before I sold it. American made. They seemed to be holding up well. I also put one in wife's car and haven't had issues.

I used to run Optima batteries in my diesel. They were really good, but they eventually priced themselves out of my budget.
robertcope
I'm putting Odyssey batteries in all my cars (as they need them, of course): http://www.odysseybattery.com/
spieg12
AG
I have a '12 model silverado 1500 on the OEM battery still. Truck has 50,000 miles and the battery is showing no signs of weakness yet.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Burdizzo said:

There are a lot of Chinese junk batteries being sold by retailers. I went through several O'Reilly batteries in my wife's car before I finally quit. The guy at my local OR said he had a pallet of returned batteries people were exchanging under warranty. I started running Deka batteries in my old diesel before I sold it. American made. They seemed to be holding up well. I also put one in wife's car and haven't had issues.

I used to run Optima batteries in my diesel. They were really good, but they eventually priced themselves out of my budget.
Oreilly batteries are mostly made by Exide. I have had mixed luck with them.

Autozone, Walmart and Advance Auto are Johnson Controls batteries. I've had better luck with them.

I have mixed experiences with Interstate, but from Costco it was 50 dollars less than anywhere else, so I went with that.

Deka is a good one too.
evan_aggie
AG
I've run Advanced Auto redtop and Optima Yellow with quite a bit of success given the Texas heat.

4-5+ years usually. My optima got 7.
AG
I just swapped all of my optimas to whatever the oreilly gel cell is. Haven't had them long enough to review, but the optimas have been incredibly fragile and it seems like for the past 6 years was warranty replacing one every 6 to 12 months.

I would avoid advanced auto. Their stores aren't that common where oreillys seems like they are everywhere.
Terk
AG
East Penn/Deka is the standard for auto batteries. I will readily admit, I am a bit biased.
Strongwind86
AG
I gave up being a battery snob about 12 years ago.

I've gone to the house brand (upper tier) from WalMart, O'Reilly and Advance Auto. Put them in my F150, wife's Edge, daughters Escape, other daughters Honda, mom's Camry. All have lasted 4-5 years+ in Houston.
ghollow
AG
Northern Tool has great prices on Interstate batteries.
Martin Q. Blank
Costco
Sazerac
AG
Previously used wal mart due to locations and warranty. I paid for one battery in 11 years with a Tahoe. But then they started pro rating instead of full replacement.

This Costco battery only lasted 2 years.
But I took in the old one today and they gave me the full refund of the one I just bought. Didn't even test.
UmustBKidding
The battery in my crown victoria (2002) has the 4 punched on its year. I have owned since 2006 and have never changed it. So its at least 11 years but probably 13 years old and still works. NAPA gold or something. Looked at what new one cost like it, around $175, but if they last that long might be worth it. Typically buy something that Johnson Controls built, AZ, Advance etc.
labman
Optima at AutoZone. expensive but mine lasted 6 years. Auto Zone has a good warranty also
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.