Insurance on rental car?

854 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by dubi
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it worth an extra $30/day or nah? Going to LA for 3 days next month. Need a rental with 2 car seats.
Tree Hugger
AG
The only time I've ever gotten the insurance was when I was in Ireland a couple of years ago. When I goofed a right turn (turned into the near lane rather than the far lane) i damn near needed it.
Al Bula
AG
sts7049
AG
does your personal insurance cover you?

it usually will, but even still you have to decide if its worth it to hassle with them if you had a wreck.
dubi
AG
Most "travel" cards will cover the insurance on rentals. Check your credit card.
JAW3336
AG
Check with your agent and see if your personal policy covers you. Most standard policies cover you but not all.

Then, like sts said, you have to decide if you want the hassle of dealing with a claim if something happens.

My understanding is the rental agency can charge the damage to your credit card even if your personal policy is covering you. You would then have to file a claim and get your insurance to reimburse you for the payment.
JAW3336
AG
dubi said:

Most "travel" cards will cover the insurance on rentals. Check your credit card.
"most" of those are secondary coverage, meaning they kick in after your personal insurance.

Chase Sapphire Reserve does have primary coverage, but it is one of the few I have seen that is primary.
dubi
AG
JAW3336 said:

dubi said:

"most" of those are secondary coverage, meaning they kick in after your personal insurance.

Chase Sapphire Reserve does have primary coverage, but it is one of the few I have seen that is primary.
We have the Chase United card and it also offers primary coverage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.