Pulling Two Trailers at Once

24,632 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by lb3
Corps_Ag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever pulled two trailers in tandem before? I've pulled long trailers before, but never two in tandem. Will be pulling a flatbed with UTVs on it and a popup camper behind that. Flatbed trailer has a built in hitch.

TIA
Complete Idiot
Yes.
clarythedrill
Way back in the day, my Granddad would pull a 24 foot camping trailer with his bass boat behind it. All with the under powered Chevy 350. Never had any issues, but religiously used a swaybar on truck to keep the whole setup from whipping around on the road.
TxLawDawg
AG
My grandfather did the exact same thing.
MouthBQ98
AG
Keep in mind all driving must be forward, but it can be done be without a special permit as long as the total length is 65' or less in Texas.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Looks like I can get one at harbor freight for the smaller trailer, or do both trailers need one each?
RK
AG
Agmechanic
AG
Just don't back up
Corps_Ag12
AG
Sarcasm noted.

In all seriousness, the flatbed will be loaded with 2 utvs and a 4 wheeler, so it'll be weighted down. I'm more worried about the little popup out back wobbling around.
MouthBQ98
AG
Keep the first trailer stable and the rear one will take care of itself
JB
AG
Maybe if front trailer was a goose or 5th.....pulling two bumper pulls sounds sketchy.
Agmechanic
AG
Not sketcy. Hook that **** up and go OP
Furlock Bones
AG
Properly distribute the weight on both. Keep your speed lower than norm. Have fun.
Mookie
AG
Please post your travel itinerary and google map of your route so we can all avoid the area.
EMY92
AG
I have seen some overloaded vehicles pulling two overloaded trailers down I-35 through Central Texas on their way to the border.

Scary stuff.
clarythedrill
Mookie said:

Please post your travel itinerary and google map of your route so we can all avoid the area.
I don't think there is much to worry about. Pulling two bumper pull trailers at once was the norm up until the mid 80s, and they were pulling them with "full size" 1/2 tons that were smaller than the current Chevy Colorado and had half the horsepower, and yet there still wasn't mass carnage on the roads. Make sure both are stable as said above and watch your speed, and you will be fine.

Shoot, I remember pulling two three axle cotton trailers at the same time from the fields to the gins and nobody died.
Burdizzo
AG
You havent lived until you pull two half-full ammonia trailers at once.
JB
AG
I don't think anyone thinks power to pull a couple UTVs and a pop-up is the issue.

I don't think it was ever the "norm"

I hardly ever see "triple Towing" in Texas. I see it more out west but with a 5th wheel up front. I'll assume for good reason

You will probabaly be fine and not kill a bus full of nuns, but it's not something I'd want to do. An emergency braking situation or if it gets to swaying might suck.

ursusguy
AG
Drive around South Texas for awhile (HW 77 specifically), and you might see a Corolla pulling multiple cars to Mexico.
MouthBQ98
AG
Seen it lots of time. Their laws somehow make 10 year old vehicles from America cheap to import. So you see lots of them tied together with "in tow" written on the back one headed down Laredo way.
Reel Aggies
AG
Done it many times. Right at 65'

garyt73
AG
You will probably be OK if the pop up is single axle. Pulling two tandem axle bumper trailers can get wild.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Shoot, I remember pulling two three axle cotton trailers at the same time from the fields to the gins and nobody died......

You havent lived until you pull two half-full ammonia trailers at once
Been there, done that on both counts. Except our cotton trailers were usually just 4 wheel trailers, with "wagon" front axles, so that when you turned the entire first axle pivoted. Pulling two full was hard, two empties was common. Three empties was not unheard of. NH3 trailers are often the same configuration.

What usually happens is that you pull the trailers at low speed, then faster...then faster...then faster, then the back trailer starts whipping and OH MY GAWD ITS YANKING ME ALL OVER THE PLACE CRAM ON THE BRAKES!!!!! Then you get it under control, and start speeding up again, trying to hit (Loss of control speed) - 1.

The most fun trailer we ever had was a thousand gallon propane tank, converted to water hauler, and mounted on a cotton trailer chassis that was designed for about 75% of the weight of a 1000 gallon propane tank full of water. The tank was about 20 feet long, and getting it started full was a (witch) But the fun part was when it was half empty.

You hit the gas, and all the water sloshes to the back and slows you down. Then it sloshes to the front and rocket-propels you forward for a few seconds before it sloshes to the back and slows you again. The trick is to work the throttle to use the forward boost for acceleration.

Oh, and plan your stops carefully. If you panic stop, 500 gallons of water hitting the front of the tank will shove you past the stop sign every time.
CanyonAg77
AG
And has anybody else heard this or am I imagining it....

I seem to recall being told that if you tow two trailers at once, the heaviest trailer should always be in front.

True, or is the old mind going......?
Corps_Ag12
AG
Do you run a sway control bar on the rear trailer?
mAgnoliAg
AG
The 65' is for truck also?
BenTheGoodAg
AG

Burdizzo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

And has anybody else heard this or am I imagining it....

I seem to recall being told that if you tow two trailers at once, the heaviest trailer should always be in front.

True, or is the old mind going......?

I don't have real world verification of this, but it makes sense from a dynamics standpoint. You don't want the heaviest part being the tail when it whips.
Burdizzo
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

This car only whips around because it is a Mustang.
aggiebq03+
Two Trailers, One Truck

Sounds like something I should avoid googling at work...
Corps_Ag12
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

The 65' is for truck also?

The way i read the law for noncommercial applications, yes. I should be just under that.
Reel Aggies
AG
Yeah 65' total length, truck included. I have a load leveler on the camper but no anti-sway. Never had any problems with swaying trailers. Pulled that setup many times through the "three-sisters" roads between Bandera and Camp Wood.
lb3
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.