Crack resistant windshields?

1,414 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by EMY92
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there such a thing as crack resistant windshields?

I was using Google today and found plenty of advertisements for some kind of snake oil that you rub into a windshield to protect it. In reality, though, is there a windshield that is highly resistant to cracks?
Silvy
AG
Dunno, crack can cause some crazy sh*t.

EMY92
AG
I would think that the problem with a more crack resistant windshield would be one more susceptible to scratching.
eric76
AG
I found one film that can be put over a windshield.

Now if that film was thick enough to soften the blow from the rocks, then it might work. I don't think that a thin film would do much, though.
Aggiemike96
AG
Drive slower. Problem solved.
eric76
AG
quote:
Drive slower. Problem solved.
I wasn't going that fast when my windshield took a rock near the edge and an instant crack that is still growing.

Perhaps if I drove further from the center line. Know any cars that do well when driven down the far edge of the ditch?

Actually, up here in the Panhandle we can often see the other traffic coming from miles. Maybe I should just pull off to a side road when I see someone coming and wait for them to go by before continuing.
UnderoosAg
AG
My neighbor paid for some such snake oil at the stealership when he bought his truck. He swears it prevented at least one crack when a rock hit it. Based on all the other **** they sold him, I put zero stock in it.
EMY92
AG
quote:
My neighbor paid for some such snake oil at the stealership when he bought his truck. He swears it prevented at least one crack when a rock hit it. Based on all the other **** they sold him, I put zero stock in it.
My F-150 has gone through 5 or 6 windshields. The one rock that I saw coming was the size of a softball on Hwy. 75 going to Lake Texoma. That didn't leave a chip. Other chips have appeared when I was no where near another vehicle in 35 MPH zones.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.