RockAuto - Brand reputations?

5,143 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Drewmeister
rllguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any input on good brands/brands to stay away from on RockAuto?

-I've got my eye on parts from MevoTech, Moog, KYB and Monroe.

Going to put in new control arms, ball joints, tie rods, and shocks on my Ram 1500.

Mevotech/Moog for the joints... and thinking about KYB or Monroe for the shocks.
PLUM LOCO
AG
This is not the answer you need but RockAuto has always met or exceeded my expectations.
Gigemags05
AG
I, too, have ordered a lot of stuff from Rockauto and had good success.

Monroe and Moog haven't let me down. Don't have experience with the others.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I can only say that I have gotten good service from KYB shocks on two different vehicles. Most of the brand specific forums I go to seem to view KYB as better than Monroe - but I don't know if that is true for a Dodge truck.
ABATTBQ11
AG
You pretty much can't go wrong with Rock Auto as long as you order the right part.
07ag
AG
quote:
You pretty much can't go wrong with Rock Auto as long as you order the right part.

I once ordered parts I wound up not using, they took them back no questions asked,, i just had to pay for the $6 to ship them back
ABATTBQ11
AG
quote:
quote:

I once ordered parts I wound up not using, they took them back no questions asked,, i just had to pay for the $6 to ship them back

They take it back fine, but you're still out the shipping. You also have extra down time if you get the wrong thing instead of extra.
AG
probably the outlier, but the Land Rover parts I've bought from them were either garbage or completely wrong.

example 1: the idler pulley replacement was some stamped steel pulley that was about .25" bigger than the stock cast piece

example 2: the alternator from them was a completely different mount, I'm not sure what it was supposed to fit

example 3: FJ80 carrier bearings, wrong OD, fit the carrier, didn't fit the 3rd member.

Dr. Doctor
AG
I bought Moog for my exploder both on RA and at O'reilly's/AZ. I have moved to buying most parts from RA and I haven't had any issue with the parts they send. Good quality, regardless of the brand.

Now I have ordered the wrong part a few times.... But that is different. One nice thing about RA is I think they have a warehouse in Stafford. Paid for standard shipping and usually get it the next day.

~egon
pnut02
AG
quote:
One nice thing about RA is I think they have a warehouse in Stafford.
Did not realize this - good to know.
Drewmeister
AG
RockAuto has warehouses all across the country, with differing selections of parts. I don't think I've ever had an order with more than one part all ship in one box. You might think you'll combine stuff to save on shipping, only to find it ships from a different warehouse, so nope! At least the cart tells you this.

The shipping hassle for potential returns (or core/warranty returns) means that for heavier/larger stuff I buy locally if the price is close. When I refreshed the suspension/steering on my truck a couple years ago I bought Moog from Advance Auto online with a 20% off coupon (they usually have a similar coupon running, if not, wait a couple weeks and they will). Good thing I did, since I had a ball joint boot rip and being able to exchange locally was a huge plus.

Also, while their prices are great for stuff for my Chevy pickup, parts for my Jetta are expensive there (sometimes above dealer price!), and I can usually get stuff cheaper (and more likely OE-quality) from brand-focused vendors like idparts, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.