Supercharged 460 HP Hyundai Genesis.....

1,062 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 15 yr ago by 1agswitchin4lanes
1agswitchin4lanes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/events/Motive_Feature_RKSport_Supercharged_Hyundai_Genesis.shtml

quote:
Part of that squeezing has to do with the supercharger design itself, and just as I start asking questions about that, project manager Mark Shirley joins us in the garage to see how the engine swap is coming along. (Hyundai's garage, by the way, is a car guy's dreamland of tools and lifts, and they apparently benchmark everything — this project Genesis is sitting between a Pontiac Solstice GXP and a Lexus IS-F.) I've been anxiously awaiting Mark's arrival because he's the first guy who can tell me the most important figure of the day — horsepower output. "About 440 at the engine or 385 at the wheels." Mark tells me, though I'm told later by PR guy Dan Bedore that Mark's number was conservative — the official output figure is 460 hp. The dyno run wasn't done at a high boost level out of fear of breaking something this close to SEMA.

But there's a second half to this day of reckoning, and Mark Shirley returns to do the duty of driving the car outside for a few test runs. (You've maybe seen evidence of this, as an Autoblog reader with a camera caught the guy getting gas.) We couldn't go along with Mark, but he returns with an impressive 4.9-second 0-60 time with the car running a conservative 11 pounds of boost. Tests with earlier prototypes and more road returned a quarter-mile time of 13.58 seconds at 108 mph. Still, the Hyundai guys aren't satisfied. "Needs summer tires," Dan Bedore tells me. "Plus, we can't push the car hard. Breaking it at this point would be a real bummer." Indeed it would be — call us after the show, Dan.

[This message has been edited by 1agswitchin4lanes (edited 11/4/2008 10:52a).]
el_scorcho
AG
It's so refreshing to see V8, rear-wheel drive making a comeback. True drivers want rear-wheel drive.
sts7049
AG
quit tempting me
Javelina
AG
11 pounds is conservative? I can't wait to find out what the real numbers are.
Javelina
AG
Flaith is going to chime in at 11:43 and tell us he thinks this car is sweet.
Flaith
Flaith
AG
wait for it...
CATAGBQ04
AG
Nice...
CATAGBQ04
AG
How did you do that, it's not even 11:43 yet...
Flaith
AG
sweet
Flaith
AG
magic

wichaaaa!
Javelina
BigRobSA
Nice!

Unless they're forging the internals, or changing the compression , I don't see them boosting too much higher on a stock Genesis engine.

jetch, I want pics of one of these all chrome-taped out...STAT!
Walter Kovacs
Ol Jock 99
AG
when will piag appear and say we're being idiots?
piag94
AG
when will piag appear and say we're being idiots?
---------------
I never said you were idiots. All I said was, IMO, it was ghey to "brag" about your new toy, then come back a couple days later and announce it again that "look at me, I bought a new car", only in a different format "my wife stole it". I just thought it was a little tired and was busting your bal**.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Still not sure how I was "bragging", but if people talking about their cars is so bothersome to you, perhaps the auto forum isn't the best for your mental health.
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I didn't feel like it was bragging. We (STS, Druggist, Myself and others) have been drooling over the new Genesis for a LONG time, and other than the ride and drive event, this was the closest thing we got to being able to check one out.

piag94
AG
of course you were bragging, and there is nothing wrong with that, but like I said I thought it was a tad ghey to "re-brag".

BTW, this forum has answered quite a few questions for me. Only about 1% of the posts are the "hey, look what I just bought" type
sts7049
AG
i'd brag too if i just bought a nice new car.

however, his second thread was pointing out how his wife is taking his brand new car away from him. how the hell is that bragging??
piag94
AG
his second thread was pointing out how his wife is taking his brand new car away from him. how the hell is that bragging??

-----------------------
ok
aggieforester05
AG
Let me know when its 450 at the rear wheels. If your going to spend all the money it takes to supercharge a car, you should at least shoot for that number. Don't get me wrong 385 would be fun, but not $6,000-$7,000 fun. Don't they have 375 at the crank stock, that's well over 300 at the wheels?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
I think if they wanted to feed more boost to it, some forged internals were going to be needed.
BigRobSA
Somebody awesome already pointed that out, 1ag.

aggieforester05
AG
How big is the motor, 11 psi isn't that conservative?
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
4.6L 32V DOHC V8

368 hp On 87 Octane, 375 on Premium.
BigRobSA
Compression ratio?
aggieforester05
AG
You should be able to get way more than 385 rwhp on the stock internals with a 4.6L 32V V8. Whipple is getting a reliable 475 rwhp on a 4.6L 24v V8 in the mustang GT and that is not with forged internals. At 11 psi, that engine should be laying down at least 450rwhp.
Flaith
AG
dear santa,

please give me a supercharger for my v8 so that i may pwn this supercharged v8 in to the ground

sincerely,

flaith
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
10.4:1 but the S/C one is 9.1:1
BigRobSA
9.1:1?

DAMN!

They're serious with that shyt!

Good on them.

I'd say, even without some forged internals, 11 wouldn't be a thing for that engine. Anything more, I'd want the security blanket of some forged bottom to get me through the 1/4 mile!

But, at that low of a compression, and with FI, you might be looking at needing some serious octane or massive knock retard. Although, slap on a $300 meth kit and WHAM! BYE!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by BigRobSA (edited 11/6/2008 10:57a).]
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
OOps.

Should be 9.0:1 I also here theres supposed to be a 5.0L Direct Injected variant as a 2010.5 or 2011.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.