Pivovar Waco

1,955 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by c-jags
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone hear anything about it lately? Hearing it has gone through some management changes. Not open for lunch during the week anymore, shortened hours, maybe one of the original partners has departed. Seemed like an ambitious project when it's opened and we've always had good food and beer when we've gone.
500,000ags
AG
I went about a month ago. Just remember thinking they closed early - like 9 or 10 on a Friday.
Lake08
You can keep downtown waco….
Bulldog73
AG
I've only been a couple times, but even then during regular meal times I've hardly seen anyone there. I did see them advertise a Sunday bogo 50% special which seemed a little odd for their marketing.
c-jags
Lake08 said:

one of my lifelong Waco natives has adopted the phrase "make Waco trashy again."
Lake08
Once magnolia loses its "luster", which is happening as we speak, 50% of all the businesses downtown will go belly up.
BohunkAg
AG
Lake08 said:

Once magnolia loses its "luster", which is happening as we speak, 50% of all the businesses downtown will go belly up.

Such a cynic.
washburn321
AG
Seems like things are fine downtown to me, if not showing more positive traction. New hotel/convention space opening soon (AC Hotel), new arena, solid new multi-family (student) housing options, Hotel 1928 newly opened, shipping container mixed use deal finally opening, Terry Black's getting closer, more mixed use near Magnolia. I'm happy to welcome the positive development downtown. It helps the entire Waco area in a variety of ways.

Pivovar has been great the last couple of times I've been there. Food, drinks, and service were solid. Price wise, it's pretty affordable for a meal and drink. The interior is really nice, but I would agree that it is has been at about 25% capacity the last couple of times I've been there. Not exactly sure why, but maybe competition is the big factor?

I think there are a number of offerings similar to Pivovar, and people prefer them for whatever reason. A few off the top of my head that are always busy are Pignetti's, Hotel 1928, and Milo. Then you also have places like Diamondback's, Ninfas, Hecho en Waco, Portofino's, etc.

Hopefully Pivovar stays open. It's something different, unique, and a quality place.
washburn321
AG
c-jags said:

Lake08 said:

one of my lifelong Waco natives has adopted the phrase "make Waco trashy again."
c-jags, should I send him a few Zillow listings in Temple? We don't want y'all getting to fancy down there with your new Hawn Hotel!
c-jags
washburn321 said:

c-jags said:

Lake08 said:

c-jags, should I send him a few Zillow listings in Temple? We don't want y'all getting to fancy down there with your new Hawn Hotel!
long time no talk brother!!!

i sincerely don't think that thing is going to make it. there is not an outcry for apartment living in downtown Temple. all the trendy "Northside" people will think it looks cool and feel like they're having a fun downtown experience, but it's freaking Temple. The only new things that have lasted down there the last 10 years are Treno and BirdCreek Burger.

maybe after all the construction is finished, it will surprise me and take off, but i'm doubtful.

hope you're doing well.
washburn321
AG
Was actually wondering about that myself. I saw they had to scrap the food hall idea because it was going to be too costly.

The developer's two food halls here in Waco have some nice choices and the one downtown is always busy during the lunch hour.

Hope the Hawn does make it, but you're right, doesn't seem like folks are clamoring to stay in dt Temple.

Hope you're doing well my friend!
EMY92
AG
Downtown Waco does have the advantage of having Baylor right down the street. It helps fill the lofts and apartments that have been added in the downtown area.
c-jags
EMY92 said:

Downtown Waco does have the advantage of having Baylor right down the street. It helps fill the lofts and apartments that have been added in the downtown area.

I do agree with that. I live in/by downtown Temple and I'm happy with its growth but it's nowhere near livable/walkable for most people that could afford it no long term. There's almost no industry nearby that could make it doable.

Heck, I would wager that I've spent more money at the Northside HEB than 99% of the Temple population, and I still run into more Northside neighbors on the 31st street location than I ever have at Ghetto HEB

It's not destination living.
500,000ags
AG
Been in Temple for all of 8 months and its pretty odd seeing how historic district people really struggle to spend money on this side of town. Hard to break old habits.
c-jags
500,000ags said:

Been in Temple for all of 8 months and its pretty odd seeing how historic district people really struggle to spend money on this side of town. Hard to break old habits.

We try to. If I tell my family I'm grabbing food they know their options aren't south of Central or West of 35 unless we're splurging for Roopa's or something.

I almost couldn't complete an entire shopping trip at Northside HEB if I wanted to. I do go there probably 2x a week minimum, but there are some key items they don't stock. One time I was there for random things and one was a makeup item for my wife. I searched all over and i couldn't find makeup. I asked somebody and they said they didn't carry it. I stared blankly and they said "because it gets shoplifted."

Can't have nice things. I'm pretty sure that HEB doesn't make money and only exists as service to the community.
500,000ags
AG
I spend quite a bit to throw some support into the downtown stuff I like. I grew up in the area so I know how uneventful DT Temple is thought to be.

I'm hopeful for this part of town, but I agree on the industry and jobs. It's not just about money, but attracting a workforce that culturally aligns more with a gentrifying, older neighborhood and set of hangouts. Spent most post-college years in the east parts of Dallas and Austin, peers all wanted redone craftsman houses, for example. Culturally, people want a new place here, even if it's a tract home from a national builder off West Adams. Kind of interesting.
c-jags
500,000ags said:

I spend quite a bit to throw some support into the downtown stuff I like. I grew up in the area so I know how uneventful DT Temple is thought to be.

i think they've done a decent job in maintaining downtown and doing improvements where they can. It doesn't have as much to offer as Waco, and never will, but there's been some pleasant additions. Belton definitely started this path first but they also are confined by a much smaller downtown area with little parking. They do have the creek which helps. Temple put in two free parking garages which means they think they can maintain it. That being said construction makes some of it miserable. I know there's a smash studio there and I've heard of an axe throwing place and potentially an Escape room. 5 restaurants that seem stable (Pignettis, Cheeves, Treno, Bird Creek, and the Thai place) A crappy bar (O'briens) that has outlived every other swanky upper class bar that comes and goes.

Quote:

I'm hopeful for this part of town, but I agree on the industry and jobs. It's not just about money, but attracting a workforce that culturally aligns more with a gentrifying, older neighborhood and set of hangouts. Spent most post-college years in the east parts of Dallas and Austin, peers all wanted redone craftsman houses, for example. Culturally, people want a new place here, even if it's a tract home from a national builder off West Adams. Kind of interesting.
they try to do things that do attract the gentrifying crowd. hell, they opened a gay brewhouse right in the middle of the Historic district and it failed. now i love beer, and have no beef with that crowd, but Temple isn't blue enough to support that. but i also never went... because i have no interest in that.

this last election cycle was the wildest things with houses that traditionally have biden/beto signs and trans flags also had Hugh Shine signs as well. Hugh Shine is under no circumstances mildly progressive or liberal.

weird group. love them and great neighbors but odd ducks.
500,000ags
AG
I wouldn't say Foxdog was a gay brewhouse, but more of a regular beer garden with a very prominent pride fest event. Ha

Frankly, some of the businesses on this side of town are too vocal with their "inclusivity." I personally align with their message, but once you plant that flag, it is planted. People better damn well appreciate going out on that limb. From what I see, supporters show up once or twice a year for big celebrations and that's it. So you just alienated your potential customer base by 75% for a minority group that won't show but 1-2 times a year. Business owners can certainly do what they want, but its not a complete shocker when it doesn't work out.

Treno's, 1st Street Coffee, Birdcreek Brewing, Las Marias, and Bon Bon Market are places I really try to support. I'm looking forward to the Cantina 1948 and Mexican Ice Cream Shop opening up pretty soon.
c-jags
500,000ags said:

I wouldn't say Foxdog was a gay brewhouse, but more of a regular beer garden with a very prominent pride fest event. Ha

Frankly, some of the businesses on this side of town are too vocal with their "inclusivity." I personally align with their message, but once you plant that flag, it is planted. People better damn well appreciate going out on that limb. From what I see, supporters show up once or twice a year for big celebrations and that's it. So you just alienated your potential customer base by 75% for a minority group that won't show but 1-2 times a year. Business owners can certainly do what they want, but its not a complete shocker when it doesn't work out.

Treno's, 1st Street Coffee, Birdcreek Brewing, Las Marias, and Bon Bon Market are places I really try to support. I'm looking forward to the Cantina 1948 and Mexican Ice Cream Shop opening up pretty soon.
i do not align with their message at all, but i'm also not going not be somebody's friend or not go to a place because they have a flag of something i don't agree with. one of my favorite Pizza places in SA close to my corporate offices was literally a Beto outpost and it never gave me grief to eat there.

In Temple, they are definitely making sure a portion of the population won't go. just an unforced error IMO.

FoxDog was a little to militant and flamboyant to me. i met the owners. the wife seemed like a really nice lady, but a giant rainbow flag every day of the year isn't for me. it was the place's persona, correct or not.

we went up to New Hampshire and Maine over Thanksgiving and every (and i mean EVERY) downtown place had BLM and Trans flags (i differentiate that from rainbow.)

A) i saw 0 black people in Portsmouth, NH, and less than a dozen in Portland.
B) Doing that there is fine, but it's not like you're going to lose business over supporting LGB causes it in liberal enclaves. You are in Temple, TX. And that's honestly OK.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.