Drag Show for all

2,709 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mazzag
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/state-regional/protest-over-drag-show-at-fajita-kings-in-temple/amp/
Captain Pablo
AG
That was supposed to say "Drag Show for all Ages at Fajita Kings in Temple"

Accidentally hit send

Staff, please fill in the title if you see this
mazzag
AG
I'm surprised how many people didn't know about this. I had friends inside watching and outside protesting. It didn't look kid friendly to me or like much of a trivia night.
c-jags
mazzag said:

It didn't look kid friendly to me or like much of a trivia night.

I keep hearing "kid friendly, family friendly" in reference to drag shows and I keep seeing them dressed in provocative clothing that I'd be ashamed of my wife or daughter wearing.

ETA: if you choose to take your kids to that, it's completely your prerogative. I wouldn't.

I just don't like calling something "family friendly/all ages" when I see a dude walking around in a bra and halter top.
Captain Pablo
AG
c-jags said:

mazzag said:

I keep hearing "kid friendly, family friendly" in reference to drag shows and I keep seeing them dressed in provocative clothing that I'd be ashamed of my wife or daughter wearing.

ETA: if you choose to take your kids to that, it's completely your prerogative. I wouldn't.

I just don't like calling something "family friendly/all ages" when I see a dude walking around in a bra and halter top.

Wait, you have a bigger problem with a business owner calling it something, than you do with a person who takes a young child to this event?

Ok
c-jags
Captain Pablo said:

c-jags said:

mazzag said:

Wait, you have a bigger problem with a business owner calling it something, than you do with a person who takes a young child to this event?

Ok

You misunderstand. I think these things are despicable. I seriously question (putting it nicely) a parent that thinks it's a good idea to take a kid to it.

But I don't get to control what other parents do with their kids. Those parents know exactly what they're doing as do the people in Drag and Fajita Kings and that's extremely worse than "mislabeling" something as family friendly.

I'm simply pointing out the irony that I've never seen or heard of a drag show where a dude is dressed up in a sensible blouse and knee length skirt and it's always labeled as "family friendly" or "all age."

I don't like adding laws or imposing my beliefs on anybody, but I do get a little Mussolinish when people mess with kids.

I have the same opinion as you on this, full stop, I just like to keep my politics on the politics board as best as possible. I was addressing this story in particular.
mazzag
AG
Folks are appealing to the city for an ordinance to keep this from happening again. Ones with cache, which helps. If fajita kings goes out of business, that sends a huge message. There were kids there. A couple took pics with a more conservatively dressed drag. Pics of dancers inside were gross.
c-jags
I've wanted to eat there a few times but Rosa's won out with my family given the option. Got a breakfast burrito and it was fine but based on their response, it's not somewhere I'm going to give my business in the future.

I'm not so myopic that I won't eat at places with different viewpoints than myself , that would be impossible. But calling people opposed to it as Karens and their Facebook response was pretty antagonistic.

Again, don't go if you don't like it. I have better things to do with my time than protest a restaurant I've never been inside of for an event I'd never go to.

My original post was to say, this isn't your kid being drug to drag queen story hour in the classroom. That, I'll fire away at. It was an optional event that parents that like this sort of stuff anyways brought their kids to.

Foxdog Bar in in Northside does the same thing and I've avoided going there because of it.
mazzag
AG
c-jags said:

I've wanted to eat there a few times but Rosa's won out with my family given the option. Got a breakfast burrito and it was fine but based on their response, it's not somewhere I'm going to give my business in the future.

I'm not so myopic that I won't eat at places with different viewpoints than myself , that would be impossible. But calling people opposed to it as Karens and their Facebook response was pretty antagonistic.

Again, don't go if you don't like it. I have better things to do with my time than protest a restaurant I've never been inside of for an event I'd never go to.

My original post was to say, this isn't your kid being drug to drag queen story hour in the classroom. That, I'll fire away at. It was an optional event that parents that like this sort of stuff anyways brought their kids to.

Foxdog Bar in in Northside does the same thing and I've avoided going there because of it.

That's the slippery slope. Classrooms are next. A good theory I heard was Covid was so bad for already struggling drag bars, where this stuff used to be and I'm ok with that, they have no where else to perform. Why they wanna say it's family friendly I have no idea. I was ewed seeing kids on Bourbon st on a Friday night past 8pm but I'm not their parents and hopefully the parents didn't realize it was the red dress parade and men wear thongs. I know you have better things to do as do I but I still applaud those that protested and hound the city council for change. It's our community. I'm sure you're beto yard sign neighbor will dine at FK for eternity.
c-jags
mazzag said:

I'm sure you're beto yard sign neighbor will dine at FK for eternity.

Neighborhood signs are wild this year. Beto Signs in the same yards as Hugh Shine and Mischtain.

I can't make much sense of it. There is definitely a rainbow flag contingent that's popped and some have Republican and Democratic signs. It's a diverse neighborhood for sure. I know and love people on both sides of the aisle up here.
mazzag
AG
https://texasscorecard.com/local/central-texas-community-protests-family-friendly-drag-show/

"Temple Mayor Tim Davis said he had spoken with the city attorney, who told him such an ordinance would not be legal."

How is an age restriction ordinance illegal?

c-jags
mazzag said:

https://texasscorecard.com/local/central-texas-community-protests-family-friendly-drag-show/

"Temple Mayor Tim Davis said he had spoken with the city attorney, who told him such an ordinance would not be legal."

How is an age restriction ordinance illegal?

Didn't Tim Davis try to back door a few 100k to LGBT and race stuff after the Michael Dean incident (which was terrible and I'm glad the officer was charged?)
mazzag
AG
I vaguely remember that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.