Stories about Out-of-Staters moving to Central Texas

6,443 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TheCurl84
TheCurl84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No need to tell us about the hordes moving into Austin.....that is old news. I'd be interested in hearing about folks moving into rural Central Texas. Here is my offering:

Last Summer I visited with the owner of the lumber yard in Hico. I asked him if the skyrocketing lumber prices were hurting his business, figuring projects had been put on hold. He told me just the opposite. Said there were lots of folks from California buying up land around Hico and building their dream homes. None were deterred by the prices of lumber, as they all had big money to burn.

He said the local joke around town was that there must be a sign at the border between CA and AZ that says "942 miles to Hico" (or whatever the correct distance is).

Anyone else seeing an invasion into rural Texas?
BohunkAg
AG
A friend of mine from Napa said all of the big Napa wineries are investing in the Hill Country right now. Pretty interesting....and they just don't need vineyards. They need distribution, bottling, etc.
NSTN8
Lots moving to the Crawford/McGregor area. I honestly haven't met one that I don't like.
c-jags
NSTN8 said:

Lots moving to the Crawford/McGregor area. I honestly haven't met one that I don't like.

I can only speak for people in Temple, but I like all the Californians I've met that move here. I was at a church thing and met 2 dads that just moved here in 2018 and both said that Ted Cruz was the first person they voted for that's ever won outside of Arnold.

I'm not making any judgment on how people vote. What works in CA doesn't work in Temple, TX and what works in Temple, TX won't work in CA.

The most humorous one I've encountered was a guy that moved to Austin 10 years ago because of crime, traffic, high taxes and homelessness. He then moved to Northside Temple because of crime, traffic, high cost of living and homelessness in Austin. With a Beto sign in his front yard.

My IL out in West Texas have had a few people from out of state buy up farm land. None from CA though.
mazzag
AG
Our neighbors up the road sold their home to a couple from CA. For just over a million $$ Haven't met them but after the fiasco in Afghanistan they hung 13 USA flags along their fence.
Husband did work for another that's building in belton. Almost literally. Today he was installing cabinets and finishing the trim. He was a builder in CA. Great guy. 76 and couldn't tell. Wife and MIL will be here when house is finished. Sorry Cjags. Some just won't learn.
ord89
AG
NSTN8 said:

I keep moving North about 45 miles each move, LOL. Started in Leander, then Salado and now McGregor. Love it here!
Ord89
TheCurl84
AG
Bumping this, hoping for additional stories.
washburn321
AG
Live in a nice neighborhood here in Woodway/McGregor area. We've had about 7 or 8 homes come up for sale in our little part of the neighborhood in the past year. I know four of the buyers were from California, and possibly more. One of the four live across the street from us and they are really nice folks and feel great to be out of CA. Two of the other families down the street are also great and have kids that our kids have enjoyed becoming friends with. They all share similar values, as far as I can tell, and they've all made improvements on their homes.

I can do without much of the CA politics and culture, but the people I've met that have moved here have been great additions to the community.
c-jags
washburn321 said:

I can do without much of the CA politics and culture, but the people I've met that have moved here have been great additions to the community.

This is my opinion most of the time. The majority of people that move here know good and well why they left. Not always but more often the rule than not.
TheCurl84
AG
washburn321 said:

Live in a nice neighborhood here in Woodway/McGregor area. We've had about 7 or 8 homes come up for sale in our little part of the neighborhood in the past year. I know four of the buyers were from California, and possibly more. One of the four live across the street from us and they are really nice folks and feel great to be out of CA. Two of the other families down the street are also great and have kids that our kids have enjoyed becoming friends with. They all share similar values, as far as I can tell, and they've all made improvements on their homes.

Woodway/McGregor strikes me as such a random place for the transplants to settle. Although same (maybe even more so) with Hico. Is it job opps in Waco that are bringing them to your area?
washburn321
AG
Agreed, it's a bit random to me as well...

One of the families had 0 ties to Waco, just knew they wanted to move to Texas and narrowed down to either Tyler or Waco. I'm sure Chip and Jo as well as proximity to a larger university had something to do with the attractiveness.

Another family had an opportunity for the husband to take a good job at Baylor, but they were looking to make their way back to Texas. The couple is originally from Texas, but has been gone for 20+ years.

Last family I don't know the entire story, but they were able to purchase a franchise business here and they have ties back to Baylor where they attended college. They are active in real estate as well I believe.

Economic indicators point to continued growth in the greater Waco area.

TheCurl84
AG
washburn321 said:

One of the families had 0 ties to Waco, just knew they wanted to move to Texas and narrowed down to either Tyler or Waco. I'm sure Chip and Jo as well as proximity to a larger university had something to do with the attractiveness.

Another family had an opportunity for the husband to take a good job at Baylor, but they were looking to make their way back to Texas. The couple is originally from Texas, but has been gone for 20+ years.

Last family I don't know the entire story, but they were able to purchase a franchise business here and they have ties back to Baylor where they attended college. They are active in real estate as well I believe.

Cool. For those of us not from Greater Waco, give me the lay of the land. What would motivate folks to choose China Spring instead of Crawford, or McGregor instead of one of the others? I like smaller towns and wonder what the pros/cons are of the ones in outer Waco.
c-jags
washburn321 said:

One of the families had 0 ties to Waco, just knew they wanted to move to Texas and narrowed down to either Tyler or Waco.

I know a guy from Pine Cove that just relocated his family to Tyler and brought a dozen families with him. He's originally from there but married a California girl who's refused to give up. Lived there for 25 years. When Newsome won his recall, she said she gives up and they listed the house the next day.

Ended up getting several from his church to come with them.

I personally love Tyler.
EMY92
AG
TheCurl84 said:

washburn321 said:

Cool. For those of us not from Greater Waco, give me the lay of the land. What would motivate folks to choose China Spring instead of Crawford, or McGregor instead of one of the others? I like smaller towns and wonder what the pros/cons are of the ones in outer Waco.
China Spring has good schoools, bigger than Crawford.

Lorena also has good schoools.

Many of the McGregor addresses are in the Midway school district, that's better than McGregor's.

If you don't have kids, I would prefer going west over China Spring. China Spring has fewer nearby shopping areas. The closest ones are in the hood or Bellmead, just a step above the hood.
BohunkAg
AG
c-jags said:

washburn321 said:

One of the families had 0 ties to Waco, just knew they wanted to move to Texas and narrowed down to either Tyler or Waco.

I know a guy from Pine Cove that just relocated his family to Tyler and brought a dozen families with him. He's originally from there but married a California girl who's refused to give up. Lived there for 25 years. When Newsome won his recall, she said she gives up and they listed the house the next day.

Ended up getting several from his church to come with them.

I personally love Tyler.

Are they in a cult?
TheCurl84
AG
EMY92 said:

TheCurl84 said:

washburn321 said:

Many of the McGregor addresses are in the Midway school district, that's better than McGregor's.

If you don't have kids, I would prefer going west over China Spring. China Spring has fewer nearby shopping areas. The closest ones are in the hood or Bellmead, just a step above the hood.
Thanks. I had a perception that families with athletic kids, but not quite athletic enough to shine in the Waco schools, would move to Crawford for athletics.

washburn321
AG
TheCurl84 said:

EMY92 said:

TheCurl84 said:

washburn321 said:

Thanks. I had a perception that families with athletic kids, but not quite athletic enough to shine in the Waco schools, would move to Crawford for athletics.

I agree with all of what EMY92 said and will expand a bit.

China Spring is growing quickly and trying to keep up. They have had a lot of success athletically and academically lately. I would say it's similar to where Midway was 25 years ago in a lot of ways. I do agree with EMY92 on the location of CS. It's like 25 minutes from everything. More options are popping up for eating, but without there really being a "town" I don't love it. That said, some great homes in China Spring. It has become a bit crowded on the athletic front and you'll see kids that live in CS transfer to Crawford and Valley Mills. Valley Mills won the state baseball championship last year with 5 or 6 China Spring kids who were transfers I believe. Speaking of Valley Mills... a nice little town, but just a bit out of the "close" radius to Waco.

Crawford has had a really good reputation and continues to excel in just about every sport and academically. I've thought about sending my kids there.

Lorena is an excellent place to raise kids. With their drop in classification they've excelled athletically and academically winning the Lone Star Cup for 2021-2022. They are slower in growth as the development is pretty tightly controlled through the city and the infrastructure for the city is really small. All the development on the utility side limits the growth.

McGregor has one of the neatest downtowns around, but you'll find that it struggles more. There are very good people there, but they don't have the success that a Crawford does athletically or academically.

Midway is still growing and I see a number of folks moving kids to smaller districts either with a house move or transfer, and others moving kids to private. I think the district has good leadership and the new Sup, who has ties to the district, has been successful in his other stints. Dr. Kazanas has led the district well over the past 10 years or so and I think they have things pointed in the right direction from a growth perspective.
washburn321
AG
TheCurl84 said:

EMY92 said:

TheCurl84 said:

washburn321 said:

On this point I think it's more of if you want your kid to have an opportunity to be a multi-sport athlete then one of the smaller schools is going to be a better option. At Midway, it's generally about focusing on one sport, unless you are a really gifted athlete. The baseball situation at Midway is nuts. So many kids growing up playing baseball in the community and realistically about 15 kids actually playing on Varsity each year. There are probably 30-50 boys per grade level who have played travel ball growing up their entire lives, not to mention the kids who just play Little League. With only one High School, the spots become very competitive.
TheCurl84
AG
Good stuff. Thanks for the info.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Just to add on to the Chip and Joanna comments regarding why someone with no ties to Central Texas would choose Waco, the Gaines and their show are a huge part of that.

Also, for 30-40 years, Waco has kept popping up in those magazine articles that talk about the top 100 places to move for retirement, or quality of life.

About 5 years ago, one of my friends from San Antonio hit me up out of the blue asking if Woodway was as nice as it looks on TV because as a retired Army Colonel, what he was seeing on "Fixer Upper" looked very attractive.

As somebody who is in the market to move back to Texas, Lake Belton is under serious consideration. Unless I can buy a house on a particular street in Woodway with a great view.

And the last part I'll add regarding China Spring, it appears to be the new Midway based on how many of myself and EMY92's High School classmates live out there now.
c-jags
HollywoodBQ said:

As somebody who is in the market to move back to Texas, Lake Belton is under serious consideration. Unless I can buy a house on a particular street in Woodway with a great view.

i have a friend in the neighborhood of that particular street with a great view. it's a really nice neighborhood if we're thinking the same spot and his house is dope.

he also jokes about leading a campaign called "make waco a dump again." loves his hometown, but doesn't like the direction it's headed because of the growth.
washburn321
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Just to add on to the Chip and Joanna comments regarding why someone with no ties to Central Texas would choose Waco, the Gaines and their show are a huge part of that.

Also, for 30-40 years, Waco has kept popping up in those magazine articles that talk about the top 100 places to move for retirement, or quality of life.

About 5 years ago, one of my friends from San Antonio hit me up out of the blue asking if Woodway was as nice as it looks on TV because as a retired Army Colonel, what he was seeing on "Fixer Upper" looked very attractive.

And the last part I'll add regarding China Spring, it appears to be the new Midway based on how many of myself and EMY92's High School classmates live out there now.
This one seems to fit the profile Hollywood...https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17042-Star-Canyon-Dr-Woodway-TX-76712/97731118_zpid/ . Check out pic 62.
WaldoWings
TheCurl84 said:

washburn321 said:

Woodway/McGregor strikes me as such a random place for the transplants to settle. Although same (maybe even more so) with Hico. Is it job opps in Waco that are bringing them to your area?

I think so. Quite a few work at SpaceX, too.
WaldoWings
TheCurl84 said:

washburn321 said:

China Springs' school is just becoming so big. McGregor is smaller and Crawford is still really small (for now until water meters aren't such an issue).
BohunkAg
AG
WaldoWings said:

TheCurl84 said:

washburn321 said:

China Springs' school is just becoming so big. McGregor is smaller and Crawford is still really small (for now until water meters aren't such an issue).
I was in physical therapy (shoulder issue) this morning and the folks in there were talking about Crawford. Fellow in there had moved from California. All were talking about how great it was. Yes, apparently water meters is the big limiting factor out there.
WaldoWings
Yes. That's certainly my understanding. In addition to the difficulties of getting meters from the water districts out here, you have this that has been going on over the last few years, as well.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/crawford-subdivision-sparks-controversy-lawsuit/article_30393391-0367-54c1-b4cc-281eb945c8b7.html
BohunkAg
AG
WaldoWings said:

Yes. That's certainly my understanding. In addition to the difficulties of getting meters from the water districts out here, you have this that has been going on over the last few years, as well.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/crawford-subdivision-sparks-controversy-lawsuit/article_30393391-0367-54c1-b4cc-281eb945c8b7.html
Quote:

Many simply are opposed to change and growth
Sounds like a typical small town.
BohunkAg
AG
I have found, having lived back in a small town for 15 years now, that the biggest fight on things is messaging and transparency. Especially in the Facebook/Internet age. There will always be those that love to stir things up and think that everything is being done behind closed doors in order to screw over everyone else in the town. And they are usually the loudest voices. If you are going to do something that changes the town (in the case of the article above, brings in more tax revenue, etc.), you better damn sure make sure you get your messaging lined up and give everyone a chance to be heard. Otherwise, Facebook groups will be set up, the rumor mill will be churned up, and all kinds of false sh-t will get out there. Crazy, but true.....have seen it countless times.
BohunkAg
AG
Since I had some time today, I drove through Crawford at lunch. Where are all these houses? Was coming from Speegleville and going to McGregor and back to Waco. There's nothing in town either. I guess the school is the only draw there?
EMY92
AG
Physical therapy and discussing Crawford. Was Bill Henson working on you?
BohunkAg
AG
EMY92 said:

Physical therapy and discussing Crawford. Was Bill Henson working on you?
No....a lady
mazzag
AG
Keep going north just outside of town. A niche neighborhood to the left. Can almost smell money.
BohunkAg
AG
Man that's crazy how texas is changing. Crawford is a cute town. Good for them.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Too Midway for me.

But, to put things in perspective, that house is about 2x the price of my house in LA and 4x the size. Not to mention building materials and location. Wow.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BohunkAg said:

Otherwise, Facebook groups will be set up, the rumor mill will be churned up, and all kinds of false sh-t will get out there. Crazy, but true.....have seen it countless times.
I live within 1000 feet of a lot of commercial real estate so my city notifies me of all kinds of stuff happening nearby and invites me to city council meetings to hear presentations and offer up my comments and concerns.

Some of the NIMBY folks can be downright hilarious. Like when putting in a Whole Foods was going to mean a massive number of deaths for horses in the equestrian neighborhood.

But the Internet freaks are insane.

Putting in a Raising Cane's was a conspiracy to screw up traffic and kill pedestrians in the neighborhood. And since they're from out of state, they should go back where they came from.

That joint has been open for six months and there's still a line down the street. And the Internet comments continue to be ridiculous. You can almost begin to understand why 71% of them voted for Adam Schiff.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.