McLennan County property tax values are out.

2,261 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mine went up 87%. Anyone else?
mazzag
AG
You gotta vote in voter suppression Election Day. May 7.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/02/16/texas-school-property-tax-school-election/
HollywoodBQ
AG
McLennan County is being discussed on the Politics Board.

Also, didn't this happen about 15-20 years ago where they jacked up the property taxes a lot in one year?

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3282574
EMY92
AG
38% increase for me.

However, the house next door to me sold for 194% of last year's appraisal. Another house 2 doors down sold for just under 250% of last year's appraisal.

c-jags
EMY92 said:

38% increase for me.

However, the house next door to me sold for 194% of last year's appraisal. Another house 2 doors down sold for just under 250% of last year's appraisal.

I'm right on the edge of the Temple historic district. Our house is nice after remodeling, but we're a "best house the best block on the worst street" situation, which is fine. Our taxes have stayed really low and we're not subject to the Historic Preservation League's whims.

2 blocks away from me, a 2/1 1200 sq foot house that has not seen one bit of improvement since the 1980s just sold for $150k. That doesn't bode well for me.
washburn321
AG
Mine went up about 50% here in McLennan County. The challenge is that the county appraisal rate is still significantly under the market rate. A house 2 doors down from me just sold for an astronomical amount per square foot, up from 2 1/2 years ago when we bought in the neighborhood. All the comps in the neighborhood support the increases in assessment. Any tips on protesting?

I'm not a fan of taxes as much as the next person, but from all of my friends who I've spoken with, it seems like the market supports all of the property tax bumps. At least the cap will help me ease into the additional cost.

Maroonedinaustin
AG
Mine went up 25%, but still 5-10% less than comps, so I guess there's no reason to protest.
rather be fishing
AG
My place in Belton went up 32% and I don't have the luxury of homestead cap.

Are there any good protest companies locally?
I did the protest myself last year and didn't get an adjustment.
c-jags
Maroonedinaustin said:

Mine went up 25%, but still 5-10% less than comps, so I guess there's no reason to protest.

Mine only went up 8%. I was shocked but my situation is kinda insular so I never know what to expect. We homesteaded this year so that might have had something to do with it.
mazzag
AG
rather be fishing said:

My place in Belton went up 32% and I don't have the luxury of homestead cap.

Are there any good protest companies locally?
I did the protest myself last year and didn't get an adjustment.

Yuck. Yes there are. But I opened my mail finally and you can only protest market value, which is up your alley on a 2nd home. You get full market value taxes, not taxed values taxes. There used to be a thread in AO about protest companies but is didn't see it bumped. They're out there. FWIW I'll be paying $3k more in BISD taxes. Y'all know how much I luv that.
Bulldog73
AG
I've been looking at OwnWell. Their problem (or perk?) is you pay 25% of savings off the taxes. No savings, no payment.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Bulldog73 said:

I've been looking at OwnWell. Their problem (or perk?) is you pay 25% of savings off the taxes. No savings, no payment.

every year
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.