Fort Hood

3,613 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by pillow
Ag9701
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it worth visiting Fort Hood? I have always heard about it. Are there museums, learning activities, etc like Pearl Harbor? My expectations are not Pearl Harbor. Just wondering if it is worth taking the family for an afternoon.
stallion6
AG
Visiting Ft. Hood depends on the interests of the family. You will need to stop at the Marvin Leath visitor center to get a pass. It is located outside the main gate to Ft. Hood. 1st Cavalry Division has a nice museum plus older vehicles/tanks outside. 3rd Cavalry Regiment has a smaller museum. A National Mounted Warrior museum is being built just outside the front gate of Ft. Hood. It will be a very nice museum but not fully open until summer 2023.

Ag9701
AG
Thank you for your reply. Will head that way when the new museum opens.
Dirk Diggler
AG
The 1st Cavalry Division Horse detachment @ Fort Hood executes a 30-40 minute demonstration every Thursday morning at 10AM.... as long as its not conflicting with a major parade or holiday. They use old/original horse cavalry manuals for their maneuvers. The stables are located just off post before the Main gate.. visitor pass not required. After the demo you are free to tour the armory, stables, and leather shop. You can also visit with the horses. I would recommend doing this in addition to the 1st Cavalry indoor/outdoor museum. I took my young son to both recently, and he loved it.

https://1cda.org/history/history-1cd-horse-det/

agsalaska
AG
There is a huge fire on Hood right now. Not out on the range. It looks to be pretty close to the Beck gate.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
mazzag
AG
That explains the haze I saw on 121 today.
Dirk Diggler
AG
It was from a small arms range.

https://www.kcentv.com/article/traffic/fort-hood-road-temporarily-closes-due-to-smoke-from-training-area/500-5abdee81-c707-48d6-bf4c-6ca04c826663

agsalaska
AG
Man that range must be really close. Crazy fire.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
mazzag
AG
Wild fires in Moody?
agsalaska
AG
Crazy fired in Moody and on Hood today. The view from the Belton dam around 4pm was wild.
mazzag
AG
My view driving home on still house damn makes more sense.
rao11010
AG
Moody fire was right around the corner from our place. Pretty dicey for a couple of hours.
agsalaska
AG
I'm driving up 281 towards Lampasses right. Ow and there is a huge fire again today. Looks like it's on Hood.
agsalaska
AG

mazzag
AG
There also a fire in moffat today. Not sure about the damage.
agsalaska
AG
Got a good buddy in Moffit in a trailer on 5 acres. Nice family. Has a horse and a bunch of dogs. Says he was four miles from the fire yesterday and didn't have a good plan for his horse. Told him to just free it at the road if he had too.

rao11010
AG
A lot of people have been following the this link which has all the active fires in Texas.

public.tfswildfires.com

I talked with firefighters this morning at the Moody fire and they said it was all out and they were finishing up clean up. Then mid morning, a new fire started up off Kuykendall Mountain Rd but it looks like that one is pretty much out as well. The big fire from Ft Hood started jumping roads ,towns were evacuated, and it's still burning strong with little containment.

Stay safe out there folks, it's very dry.
mazzag
AG
No real chance of rain. But constant wind. My home is fire breaked we'll enough. Have a plan.
Dirk Diggler
AG
https://www.kwtx.com/2022/03/27/crittenburg-complex-fire-coryell-county-grows-33k-acres/?fbclid=IwAR1Um37F5zf5XkXMNEVESTawQFBOnRoxKsKULMptc9Uxkntq64l-FpyMDaE
pillow
AG
I grew up in Ft. Hood/Killeen area. After 9/11, access was seriously restricted.

Also, be careful as crime in the area is very high.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.