Topgolf looking at Waco?

4,339 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JAW3336
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/mike_copeland/mike-copeland-report-of-topgolf-interest-top-auditor-winery-tours/article_0ff319c9-63b9-536c-bcce-29650eb75136.html

Now this would be something I could get behind.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I'm the last person in line to promote Waco but, I think Top Golf is something that would actually work well in Waco.
BohunkAg
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

I'm the last person in line to promote Waco but, I think Top Golf is something that would actually work well in Waco.
Put it out at Battle Lake....imagine the clientele.
piag94
AG
Zero chance this would work. The masses that are coming to buy $20 cupcakes have zero interest in TG. Lived in Waco all my life and the city has consistently not supported high traffic businesses.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

The masses that are coming to buy $20 cupcakes have zero interest in TG.
The husbands/boyfriends/teenaged sons being drug to the land of the silo might disagree.
HollywoodBQ
AG
I've only been to Top Golf twice, both times in Austin for a corporate event so, I didn't pay for any of the food or drink but, I did consume lots of both and had a great time.

When I was in HS, the only time I played any form of golf was out at the Par 3 place off of Highway 6 between Speegleville Park and FM185. I don't think Waco even had a Putt-Putt. And all we really did at the Par 3 place was drive golf carts like they were 4-wheelers.

I'm not a golfer but, I really did enjoy my trips to Top Golf. It was more of a social thing and it was pretty fun. You didn't have to be great at golf. You could take the HollywoodBQ approach and pretend it was baseball and swing for the fences, or you could try a more precision approach and actually try to hit the targets. It was something that men and women and really people of all abilities could enjoy. There were always a few "golf pros" in the group and honestly it was surprising how well some people did who you wouldn't expect.

I could see people coming in for the weekend and going to Top Golf but, I could also see local businesses, Baylor, teachers, etc. having groups do a team building event there.

Now Waco wouldn't be able to support the gigantic triple decker job they've got off of NASA Rd 1 in Houston but, I'll bet Waco could support a smaller sized Top Golf.

For argument's sake say, if I lived in HTX, ATX, DFW or San Antonio, and my wife dragged me to the Silos, I'd love to be dropped off for some drinks and hitting a few golf balls - and I've got no interest in golf. You can only tour the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and the Dr. Pepper Museum so many times but, you could probably play Top Golf every trip.
EMY92
AG
Putt Putt was in Lion's Park off of New Road/Bosque. I never go into that area anymore, I have no idea if it's still there.
c-jags
I actually just went for the first time in Vegas for a conference. It was actually a lot of fun... despite being the first time I've swung a club in 18 years.

That being said I didn't have to pay for anything and have no idea how much it all costs.
ClassOf17
BohunkAg said:

HollywoodBQ said:

Put it out at Battle Lake....imagine the clientele.

Put it on twin rivers.

The best course went to ****
EMY92
AG
The owner is in declining health and won't do anything with it and will not pay to maintain it. His kids would like to keep it up, but can't without the father's approval.

Before my shoulders locked up, I loved playing there. Now, it looks like a goat pasture.
washburn321
AG
I would love to see a TopGolf in Waco. If located on the 35 corridor I think it could survive. Possibly locate it across from Hillcrest or the Central Texas Market Place. There is a place called 4ORE! in Lubbock that is a TopGolf clone and doing well. With the heightened tourism we're experiencing and Baylor being nearby I think we could sustain it. Also, it would be unique enough to draw from Temple/Belton in some instances instead of going to Austin. I've played at TopGolf a couple of times and it's always been really fun and entertaining.
HollywoodBQ
AG
EMY92 said:

Putt Putt was in Lion's Park off of New Road/Bosque. I never go into that area anymore, I have no idea if it's still there.
Now that you mention it, I sort of remember that. The only time I remember playing Putt Putt was a few times in College Station. It was a good B/CS date activity.

Last year, I played blacklight neon KISS themed mini golf at the Rio in Vegas. That was fun. Mostly just for the combination of drinks and music.

Bulldog73
AG
The putt putt place is still standing, but no longer open. I was just discussing with a coworker how bad the golf is in the area. They've had a lot of places over the years, but now they all suck (Cottonwood is still well maintained). Must not have a lot of money being spent on golf around the area.
washburn321
AG
I love playing golf, but haven't played in a couple of years. The game takes too long (if you have kids), it's expensive, and it takes a lot of work to become a good player. People prefer things that have a quicker turnaround. Look at the decline of baseball... much has to do with the length and speed of game.

I think private clubs are doing okay, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing Cottonwood and Ridgewood as the only remaining options in the area at some point. Lake Waco is not as accessible as the other two.

I am hoping to get my kids interested in the game this spring and summer. The par 3 course over at Cottonwood will be perfect for this and give me a reason to be on the course, with the family.

I didn't see this article when it came out, but just read it now and it is brings a ton of insight to the Waco golf landscape.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/state-of-golf-in-waco-like-watching-an-old-friend/article_87f33cdb-adc6-520b-ae60-d71999fc0adc.html
HollywoodBQ
AG
Thanks for sharing that article.

When previous posters were talking about Twin Rivers, I didn't know that it was the same course that used to be called Bear Ridge. I guess I'll have to cut a corner off of my Waco card. I guess I've been distracted ever since they put in the stoplight at Hwy 84 and Speegleville Rd. I'm surprised that course hasn't succeeded based on proximity to Woodway, Midway, etc.

The article comments were pretty interesting. People complaining about how long it takes to play a round due to large groups on the course. I've had the same problem at miniature golf courses. At least when I played the KISS one there was plenty of alcohol so I didn't mind.
EMY92
AG
Bob Richards owns Lake Waco & Twin Rivers. He is in failing health and isn't putting any money into either. I believe that his kids want to put money into maintaining them, but their hands are tied.

I always enjoyed playing Twin Rivers, but now it looks like a goat pasture.
washburn321
AG
Agreed. Would love to see Twin Rivers revitalized. It is a challenging course and was enjoyable to play when in good shape. Based on reading the article, it seems like they will not be getting their money back out of those courses unless a significant amount of money is put in to bring them back up. Sadly, TR is becoming Greenbriar in Moody.

Sorry about that, shouldn't speak ill of the dead (RIP Greenbriar). Greenbriar closing wasn't mentioned in that article, but I grew up playing that course quite a bit. Those folks tried their best to keep it alive. It's now being sold off for residential. Another one gone.

All that to say... TopGolf can get folks interested in golf in a new and interesting way that doesn't take 4 hours to play.
45-70Ag
AG
I think he moved into the club house at lake Waco.

Twin Rivers was really nice at one time but once Baylor left, that seemed to start the downfall.
Matsui
AG
Where does Baylor play?
piag94
AG
The problem Waco has it will always be a "small town". Places like top golf has large payrolls and with rent/property prices downtown going for laughable amounts, they would have to crush it to start netting a profit. Large entities don't succeed here.
BohunkAg
AG
piag94 said:

The problem Waco has it will always be a "small town". Places like top golf has large payrolls and with rent/property prices downtown going for laughable amounts, they would have to crush it to start netting a profit. Large entities don't succeed here.
HollywoodBQ
AG
piag94 said:

Large entities don't succeed here.
Some of them do taste the rainbow.

piag94
AG
I am referring to a service based entity. Especially one that would have to invest millions into opening a TG.
Leander - Ag
AG
Matsui said:

Where does Baylor play?

Ridgewood.

And no way Waco can support a TG. Not enough $$. Look at the restaurant / entertainment options now and ever.
JAW3336
AG
I agree
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.