Academy Softball Coach

2,367 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mazzag
Cowboy1990
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Othern wo threads about coaches reminded me about the Academy softball coach getting arrested for inappropriate relationship with a student that occurred four years ago. Was surprised that hasn't been discussed here. Not many details in the news.
c-jags
I have a few friends close to the situation there.

Unfortunate.

Just a reminder to the married Ags out there to not let your guard down or put yourself in these situations.
Cowboy1990
Coach wasn't married was he?
BohunkAg
AG
c-jags said:

Unfortunate.

Just a reminder to the married Ags out there to not let your guard down or put yourself in these situations.

Not let your guard down? Was it just a slip up?
c-jags
BohunkAg said:

c-jags said:

Unfortunate.

Not let your guard down? Was it just a slip up?
i'm just saying that it's wise to not let your guard down in a situation that can lead to improper behavior.

i.e. i don't take lunch meetings with women that aren't my wife. ever. friends that are coaches of female sports have an always open door policy when their athletes are in the office, or bring in another female coach when a closed door is warranted.
bubblesthechimp
do you not trust yourself around women who arent your wife?
c-jags
bubblesthechimp said:

do you not trust yourself around women who arent your wife?
nope.

but i'm a sinful piece of crap and i recognize that about myself.

i'm not saying others have to live to my standards and i don't judge anybody who doesn't, i'm just saying i choose to put those perimeters up for myself.

People can give a lot of crap to Mike Pence for his stances on a lot of things. When the news came out that he didn't take meetings alone with other women, he got hell for it, but i saw a guy who's never ever going to get #metoo'd.

all i'm saying is that nobody wakes up one day and says "i'm going to have an affair with a student today," or "i'm going to cheat on my spouse today." but a series of decisions leads you to that point. try and guard yourself against those decisions.
templeton
this warmed my heart, c-jags. i appreciate that you're putting those limits on yourself because you know your sin, and not because you presume women to be jezebel-types who can't be trusted. i have definitely sensed that attitude in evangelical circles.
Bulldog73
AG
Maybe the best message I've ever read on this site.
mazzag
AG
The whole situation is a shame. How does BISD keep similar things out of the media?
c-jags
Probably because they have a media person that is a pro at this. Academy probably does not. It has happened at BISD for sure.

Current media director was fairly high up on the Obama campaign if I remember correctly. Probably good at spin. Not meaning that in a bad way.
Cowboy1990
Interesting. May be correct. Heard yesterday that they've had 5 instances occur at A&M Consolidated HS in the last 2 years, but I don't recall seeing any of those in the news either. The one that occurred in Caldwell though hit the news. Which is a district similar in size to Academy.
BohunkAg
AG
Crusaders41 said:

Interesting. May be correct. Heard yesterday that they've had 5 instances occur at A&M Consolidated HS in the last 2 years, but I don't recall seeing any of those in the news either. The one that occurred in Caldwell though hit the news. Which is a district similar in size to Academy.
I would guess that what someone said above about smaller districts not have the resources to "keep the cat in the bag" is true. i.e., professional crisis management.
c-jags
that's just a guess on my end. Academy may have somebody in that position, but from working in schools for almost 15 years, it definitely happens everywhere, but i'd agree a larger district is probably going to have some mitigation in place.

sometimes it makes the news, sometimes it does not.

i don't fault a district for wanting to keep that on the down low for the record. you obviously don't want the bad behavior of one employee tarnishing the entire district.

a couple of years after i graduated HS one of my friend's younger sisters started "dating" a 22 yo student teacher/coach when she was a junior and kept it up after he got hired. they kept it hush for 2 years and he proposed the night she graduated. nobody cared, but this was almost 20 years ago.
BohunkAg
AG
c-jags said:

that's just a guess on my end. Academy may have somebody in that position, but from working in schools for almost 15 years, it definitely happens everywhere, but i'd agree a larger district is probably going to have some mitigation in place.

sometimes it makes the news, sometimes it does not.

i don't fault a district for wanting to keep that on the down low for the record. you obviously don't want the bad behavior of one employee tarnishing the entire district.

a couple of years after i graduated HS one of my friend's younger sisters started "dating" a 22 yo student teacher/coach when she was a junior and kept it up after he got hired. they kept it hush for 2 years and he proposed the night she graduated. nobody cared, but this was almost 20 years ago.
Definitely different 20 years ago before the advent of social media. Had some situations like that in West back in the day too. I'm sure they wouldn't fly now.
mazzag
AG
I can understand it makes the news when charges are filed, but how in the heck does BISD keep folks from filing charges? When my son was in high school, a staffer got busted for having a relationship with one of his friends. And as far as I remember, charges weren't filed. A friend of a friend was supposedly fired for doing "favors" for boys in the parking lot. No charges filed. Earlier this year, a student athlete took the phone of a teammate, who had some pics of herself that she shared with her boyfriends. This student text the pics to herself and for some reason sent these pics to other classmates. That's distribution of child pron, by both girls. Nothing happened to either student. Not even dismissal from athletics. All Parents got an email from the principal about the importance of teaching our kids to lock their phones and not share the passwords. Because of potential predators.
So if charges do get filed, out local media looks away.
c-jags
mazzag
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.