Been quiet... Primaries coming up?

2,388 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Captain Pablo
c-jags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
i saw CJ Grisham and a few others are going after Hugh Shine. Kind of to be expected since Shine went against Molly White and it ended pretty poorly so i figured another Tea Party candidate would rise.

John Carter will probably cruise through his primary and I saw there's 3 or 4 democrat candidates in the primary, so that might be interesting.

any other races of note?
mazzag
AG
Scott Cosper, district 54, is being primaried. 2 other candidates, one is a vet in Salado so he has my vote. This annexation stuff has really opened my eyes to him and shine. Neither of them supported county voters voting on municipal annexation. And when the senate bill left out counties with less that 500k population, Cosper still didn't support it. Nor did he support the alternative of gathering signatures to get it on the ballot in November. And they both supported a house bill that would have let school board reps raise taxes, without an election. What a disaster!
mazzag
AG
This guy is who I'm voting for.

http://buckleycampaign.com/about/
BohunkAg
AG
In Chip and JoJo land, our District Attorney, Abel Reyna has a primary challenger....the old judge Joe Johnson's son, Barry...newly moved back from Dallas. Abel has been out shaking babies and kissing hands and trying to make people forget the Twin Peaks trials. That one is gonna get really interesting. They've already been at each others' throats at a public forum a week or so ago. The good DA Reyna called the Waco Trib "fake news" when someone asked why he didn't talk to them.
c-jags
BohunkAg said:

In Chip and JoJo land, our District Attorney, Abel Reyna has a primary challenger....the old judge Joe Johnson's son, Barry...newly moved back from Dallas. Abel has been out shaking babies and kissing hands and trying to make people forget the Twin Peaks trials. That one is gonna get really interesting. They've already been at each others' throats at a public forum a week or so ago. The good DA Reyna called the Waco Trib "fake news" when someone asked why he didn't talk to them.
FWIW... the Trib is kinda fake news. Reyna probably needs to go though.
mazzag
AG
BohunkAg
AG
I have no dog in the fight, but Hugh Shine's commercials are kind of comically bad. Look like they were done by a sh-tty 80s marketing agency.
c-jags
all the property tax attacks crack me up. we don't have a state income tax so of course we pass property tax laws. not defending hugh, but his opponents are barking up the wrong tree to make me think he's a liberal.
mazzag
AG
Fiscally he is a liberal. Voting against all Texans having equal rights to fight forced annexation. Supporting giving school boards the right to raise property taxes, without voter approval, and voting against roll back rates, with liberals. Walks and quacks like a duck.
I'm also hearing he's against concealed carry. Nice guy but not a conservative.
CStewTAMU
AG
There is no probably. Our DA is a absolute crook. I tried to tell people this over 7 years ago when he first ran for office long before any of the fiascos that have followed his disgraceful tenure. In a hearIng yesterday for one of the Twin Peaks defendants, a visiting judge literally said he would throw him in jail if he could.
BohunkAg
AG
CStewTAMU said:

There is no probably. Our DA is a absolute crook. I tried to tell people this over 7 years ago when he first ran for office long before any of the fiascos that have followed his disgraceful tenure. In a hearIng yesterday for one of the Twin Peaks defendants, a visiting judge literally said he would throw him in jail if he could.
The thing is...I think he has a good shot at winning today. All the big money in Waco/McLennan County supports him because he supports them when they need it.

Plus, Johnson hasn't run much of a campaign. Will be interesting to see tonight, but I think Reyna will be re-elected tonight, despite everything.
80s Guy
BohunkAg said:

CStewTAMU said:

The thing is...I think he has a good shot at winning today. All the big money in Waco/McLennan County supports him because he supports them when they need it.

Plus, Johnson hasn't run much of a campaign. Will be interesting to see tonight, but I think Reyna will be re-elected tonight, despite everything.

Yep, I haven't seen a single Johnson ad on TV and very few signs and billboards. It still amazes me that no one else came forward to run against him.
BohunkAg
AG
80s Guy said:

BohunkAg said:

CStewTAMU said:

Yep, I haven't seen a single Johnson ad on TV and very few signs and billboards. It still amazes me that no one else came forward to run against him.

Look at this way....would you want to walk into this Twin Peaks mess right now?
mazzag
AG
Wow. Looks like Johnson won the primary.
c-jags
Congrats Waco Ags.
c-jags
i guess interesting ones that stood out to me were how dominant Ted Cruz was statewide. i'd seen nothing but Beto signs everywhere.

Hate to see another Bush on the ballot.

in Northside Temple, i've seen dozens upon dozens of signs for Kent Lester for US Rep, so i was surprised how poorly he performed on the Dem side. Carter is fine, but 8 terms is a bit ridiculous.

i figured Hugh would win the primary, but was shocked he got 60% of the vote.
BohunkAg
AG
c-jags said:

i guess interesting ones that stood out to me were how dominant Ted Cruz was statewide. i'd seen nothing but Beto signs everywhere.

Hate to see another Bush on the ballot.

in Northside Temple, i've seen dozens upon dozens of signs for Kent Lester for US Rep, so i was surprised how poorly he performed on the Dem side. Carter is fine, but 8 terms is a bit ridiculous.

i figured Hugh would win the primary, but was shocked he got 60% of the vote.
Isn't Beto on the Dem side?

Won't he be running against Cruz in the general election?
c-jags
yes he will be running against Cruz.

what i meant was, for all the Beto love i saw in my travel (i'm up and down 35 weekly) i saw bookoos of Beto signs everywhere, none for Cruz and heard about a blue wave. then he got less than half of Cruz's votes.
BohunkAg
AG
c-jags said:

what i meant was, for all the Beto love i saw in my travel (i'm up and down 35 weekly) i saw bookoos of Beto signs everywhere, none for Cruz and heard about a blue wave. then he got less than half of Cruz's votes.
I just think it has to do with fewer people voting in the Dem primary. Even some Dems vote in the Republican primary now for local races. I still think Cruz will win. I think that blue wave in Texas stuff is all hogwash. We will see.
c-jags
BohunkAg said:

c-jags said:

I just think it has to do with fewer people voting in the Dem primary. Even some Dems vote in the Republican primary now for local races. I still think Cruz will win. I think that blue wave in Texas stuff is all hogwash. We will see.
not to be argumentative, but part of the "blue wave" was that the Dems were spanking the Reps in early voting for the primary. then the actual voting day happened.

again, i agree with you that it's hogwash, but i do chuckle at the news predictions vs reality.
Captain Pablo
AG
Cruz will spank Beto

None of the races surprised me
EMY92
AG
Cruz didn't waste money campaigning for the primary.

He'll crush Beto in the general.
Captain Pablo
AG
EMY92 said:

Cruz didn't waste money campaigning for the primary.

He'll crush Beto in the general.
I think it will be a 6-8 point race

Demographics are rapidly changing

Texas will be purple in presidential years by 2024. In non-presidential years by 2028
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.