TISD superintendent retiring

3,958 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cowboy1990
mazzag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.tisd.org/apps/news/article/774924

Interesting only because I've heard the BISD super will retire soon as well. I wonder if TISD will have a "real" search.
OutdoorAg
AG
Kincannon isn't retiring anytime soon.
coupland boy
AG
mazzag said:

Interesting only because I've heard the BISD super will retire soon as well. I wonder if TISD will have a "real" search.

Curious as to what this means. Would love to get your take.

I think the last search I was involved with was scripted and predetermined. Was very disappointed in the process.
mazzag
AG
coupland boy said:

mazzag said:

Curious as to what this means. Would love to get your take.

I think the last search I was involved with was scripted and predetermined. Was very disappointed in the process.

I read earlier today TISD has had 75 applications submitted for this opening. That's astounding, IMO. But yes, most of the time it seems scripted. When BISD fired the fool that's now at groesbeck ISD, they "hired" Vivian baker, "one of our own" but it was always known she was a placeholder for kincannon. Susan needed more "experience" under baker. I met baker one time when she was remodeling her home. My impression was how in the hell is she a superintendent. Nice person but I was unimpressed. So now BISD has a former, 1 year KISD superintendent, as backup superintendent and I'm guessing he'll be the best fit when kincannon retires. Our 20+ year board President isn't running again. I'm expecting kincannon's annoucement soon after her daughter graduates this year. Then I'm expecting all the lies told during the bond election, for it to pass, to hit parents and students in the face, one of which has already come to light. Hope all y'all that voted for this are ready. And not disappointed.
coupland boy
AG
I'm convinced it's all a big fraternity and cronyism rules the day.

Of those 75 applicants I sure hope the board selects backup interviewees. Odds are a few of the finalists are just testing the waters and will pull their names from consideration once they know who is in line to get the job.

Color me jaded.
mazzag
AG
I understand. And I'm Facebook friends with a huge TISD supporter. Her husband coaches soccer and daughter is a cheerleader. She thinks TISD is poor. Lol. TISD has a huge business tax base,especially with the new commercial and apartment growth across from S&W. TISD has plenty of money to pay for a top notch superintendent. Will they attract one? I don't know,but it's a fertile ground for anyone wanting to make a name, especially with TISD moving to 6a.
BISD folks lol at TISD. Y'all think it's a joke, but it's not and will overtake BISD soon.
mazzag
AG
Hired current TISD employee. Amazing since the same TISD elementary schools are in trouble with TEA every year.

https://www.tisd.org/apps/news/article/846785
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Plus you pay a search firm, and then hire from within?
mazzag
AG
Search firm was probably for PR. Battershell was one of the highest paid supers in the area, maybe more than kincannon. To steal a super from another district means they'd have to match/exceed what that super was making. TISD can start this guy below what battershell was making most likely. Just my opinion.
coupland boy
AG
I wouldn't call TASB a legitimate "search firm"

Well, technically they aren't I suppose. They advertise the position, accept resumes, and coordinate interviews but if you already had a person in mind for the job a board could go through TASB and get it done cheaper that way.
aggieheart
AG
This hire was expected from the start. From what I have heard from some that have worked with him it may not be a good hire. Performance on standardized tests and ratings by the TEA have more to do with demographics and socioeconomics than teacher performance. TISD still offers some of the broadest educational opportunities in Central Texas and students that want a good education can get that and more in TISD. Then there are the others.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mazzag
AG
aggieheart said:

This hire was expected from the start. From what I have heard from some that have worked with him it may not be a good hire. Performance on standardized tests and ratings by the TEA have more to do with demographics and socioeconomics than teacher performance. TISD still offers some of the broadest educational opportunities in Central Texas and students that want a good education can get that and more in TISD. Then there are the others.

I filled out the questionnaire about what TISD should look for in a super. I stressed keeping alumni kids in the district. I'm a Belton gal but the amount of TISD alumni kids that go to BISD astounds me. I'd never let my kids go to temple and it's a Belton thing. I'd expect the same from them, but that's not what's happened. The flight of folks has left TISD with it's current demographics but I do have great TISD friends that have stayed. And I admire that. And yes, TISD has much better opportunities for kids with their partnership with S&W.
A Facebook friend is thrilled with this hire, and her husband works/coaches for the district. Maybe she's biased but I'd be as pissed as I was when Belton hired kincannon from within. This area needs all of it's districts to be strong and desirable. BISD has had local media on it's side to cover the warts. Maybe Ott will work the same magic. Every district has the "others" but they still shouldn't fall thru the cracks.
coupland boy
AG
Are Ott and Kincannon former coaches?
Cowboy1990
mazzag said:

Search firm was probably for PR. Battershell was one of the highest paid supers in the area, maybe more than kincannon. To steal a super from another district means they'd have to match/exceed what that super was making. TISD can start this guy below what battershell was making most likely. Just my opinion.

I'd have to look it up but I think Battershell was underpaid when comparing other districts the size of Temple.
Cowboy1990
aggieheart said:

Performance on standardized tests and ratings by the TEA have more to do with demographics and socioeconomics than teacher performance. TISD still offers some of the broadest educational opportunities in Central Texas and students that want a good education can get that and more in TISD. Then there are the others.

Very true - demographics plays a MAJOR role in testing performance.
Cowboy1990
coupland boy said:

Are Ott and Kincannon former coaches?

Honestly have no idea but don't think either was a coach.

For what it's worth, I have two friends that are friends with Ott. They both say he is highly intelligent. One has worked with him in a previous district and the other went to HS with him. They both think very highly of him. Neither lives in this area currently so they aren't around him routinely at this time.
mazzag
AG
Crusaders41 said:

mazzag said:

I'd have to look it up but I think Battershell was underpaid when comparing other districts the size of Temple.

You might be right. I think she started very low salaried but her percentage in raises since hired is the highest in the area. I looked all this up when BISD wanted to give kincannon a 10% raise after the bond passed. I was shocked at how fast battershell's salary raised.
Cowboy1990
You can find all of the superintendent salaries for the State of Texas here:

https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/cgi/sas/broker

Looking at many others I'd say Battershell's wasn't out of line. Local schools like Academy at $123K, Cameron at $132K, and Salado at $145K and LaVega at $193K tell me her $206K is probably justified for a district the size of Temple and that Kincannon is underpaid at below $200K in Belton. .

I also noticed that JJ Villarreal who many thought would come back for this job would have to take almost as $20K pay cut as he is sitting at $225K. Although that's quite paltry to some in areas like Barbers Hill where the supt makes $290K and not to mention places like Eans ISD where it's well over $300K.
mazzag
AG
Check out the Corsicana ISD super's salary comparable to the size. And kincannon may be underpaid but she's had sizable raises each year to get her there.
Cowboy1990
As I read it Corsicana Supt is at $202K so not that far off. Also, don't know how long that supt has been in place.
Cowboy1990
Message posted on the TISD website from Dr. Ott about the state testing taking place this week - I have to say I pretty much agree with his perspective on this and to me this paints him in a good light.

https://www.tisd.org/apps/news/article/851508
c-jags
Crusaders41 said:

Message posted on the TISD website from Dr. Ott about the state testing taking place this week - I have to say I pretty much agree with his perspective on this and to me this paints him in a good light.

https://www.tisd.org/apps/news/article/851508
i read that as "prepare for bad scores"

i don't disagree with him at all though. STAAR testing can go to hell.
Cowboy1990
c-jags said:

i read that as "prepare for bad scores"
You may be right, but I still admire him for stepping out there and saying it. I know of at least one in the area that instead of backing students and teachers constantly accuses the teachers of not doing enough in the classroom.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.