Quick Poll: Lorena, Crawford or China Spring

3,271 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Hagen95
jakeaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My friend is moving to the area and looking at these 3 towns. They have 2 elementary aged kids. What area would be your vote to move to? Thanks.
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
Crawford is smaller more rural type setting where everyone knows everyone. CS and Lorena are seemingly more citified only because they are closer to Waco metro area. CS and Lorena have great schools I'm just not familiar with Crawford because no direct connections there since my kids are grown.

All three have good to great Little League programs.
I would be happy to live in any of them and to have my kids raise families in each.
jakeaggie84
AG
Thanks
Bulldog73
AG
It depends on what you're looking for really. China Spring is growing like absolute crazy right now, and they're still building a lot more. Lots of kids are transferring from the district these days because the school had grown so much and they don't have the infrastructure to support it. I still think it's a great school district, but it's getting a reputation.

Crawford, I'll mostly abstain because of personal dislike due to athletic competition. They're good at athletics, but in my biased opinion have an heir that they "deserve" to be good. Academically, they're solid though.

Lorena is an incredible school district based on the ratings. People I've talked to think they're probably the best academic district in the area. Their athletics are fine from what I know.

Depending on where in town they'd want to be (for church, and social events) different areas offer different things. I feel like Lorena is far from everything, living near China Spring, it takes me about 15 minutes to get to downtown. Timewise, it's probably the same as Lorena, but Lorena would be using 35. Crawford seems to be a ways away from everything, but it depends where you're at because land wise, Crawford covers a lot of area. Parts are on 6, but the school is about 15 minutes away from that juncture.

These are just my opinions, and clearly, I am dealing with some biases.
Rabid Cougar
AG
China Spring - You live in China Springs but have City of Waco services for the most part. Lots of new houses being built. Schools are excellent and I dont know what "reputation" that was mentioned. There are two ways to get to work, 185 (River Crossing) and China Spring Highway (which is in the process of becoming four lane highway) Traffic in the morning is "bad". Basically 20 minutes to work in Waco either way you go.

Crawford - Nice area, very good schools and sports programs. Still 20 to 30 minutes to work in Waco. Not very convenient if you have to run for a loaf of bread or gallon of milk. Basically "China Spring" and "Lorena" out in the country people wise.

Lorena- Very good schools and sports program. Limited development right now. Acces to Waco is probably the best due to 35.

One area that was not mentioned was McGregor/ 84 corridor. Very Nice out that way. Good schools and sports program ( Midway or McGregor depending on which subdivision). Lots of new homes being built. Very convenient to Waco via 84. LOTs of of SpaceX folks live out that direction.

You basically can throw a dart and not have a bad selection.
washburn321
AG
Rabid's reply is spot on IMO. One thing about China Spring that is a little frustrating is you feel like you're right there, a few miles away from everything, but it definitely takes a good 20-25 minutes to get anywhere. There is faster growth going on in CS over Lorena. One thing I would also say, is that if the two kids are elementary age, the size of Midway is not a big deal until they get to Middle School. It's worth it to take a look down 84 in Woodway, McGregor as well as certain parts of Hewitt. Also, Robinson is a good place to get bang for your buck when it comes to houses (although the city maintenance is terrible). The district is good and has good academic and athletic programs just like Lorena and China Spring. If I were picking based on assumptions from the info you listed I would say pick Lorena. It's smaller than China Spring, but has good academics and athletics. It's easily accessible to Hewitt/Woodway and Waco. The growth is not so overwhelming that the city and district can't keep up and it's a nice community.
Bulldog73
AG
NVM, it's just hearsay that I've heard from kids. Removed.
jakeaggie84
AG
Thanks for the info.
Rabid Cougar
AG
quote:
Rabid's reply is spot on IMO. One thing about China Spring that is a little frustrating is you feel like you're right there, a few miles away from everything, but it definitely takes a good 20-25 minutes to get anywhere. There is faster growth going on in CS over Lorena. One thing I would also say, is that if the two kids are elementary age, the size of Midway is not a big deal until they get to Middle School. It's worth it to take a look down 84 in Woodway, McGregor as well as certain parts of Hewitt. Also, Robinson is a good place to get bang for your buck when it comes to houses (although the city maintenance is terrible). The district is good and has good academic and athletic programs just like Lorena and China Spring. If I were picking based on assumptions from the info you listed I would say pick Lorena. It's smaller than China Spring, but has good academics and athletics. It's easily accessible to Hewitt/Woodway and Waco. The growth is not so overwhelming that the city and district can't keep up and it's a nice community.
Second the comments on Robinson. No different than CS or Lorena on school and sports program available. All three have terrific band programs too.
lilsportag02
AG
Our family moved from Robinson to China Spring 3 years ago and from what I've seen between my 2 school age children, China Spring ISD is much better. My younger child is a lot more advanced than my older was compared to the curriculum. China Spring is growing and they are in the process of widening 1637 which will help TREMENDOUSLY. All we need out here is a grocery store and things would be perfect.

I grew up in McGregor and that school district is growing as well.

Crawford is a smaller school.

Lorena also has a good school district but there's not many places to live unless you are wanting an existing home.

Midway ISD has a reputation. I have many friends that teach there but also send their own kids to other school districts (McGregor, China Spring)

All depends on if your friend want to live in town or in a rural area.
washburn321
AG
Lilsport, what is the reputation that you hear about Midway? I work in the district, so I'm always interested to hear what others have to say around the area. Thanks.
lilsportag02
AG
quote:
Lilsport, what is the reputation that you hear about Midway? I work in the district, so I'm always interested to hear what others have to say around the area. Thanks.
From everything I've heard and experienced, its uppity(spelling?). Don't get me wrong, its a great school district for an education and they have great opportunities for kiddos, but if you don't fit in, it can be a pretty miserable experience.
Personally, both my husband and I grew up in a smaller school district and my kids are going to a smaller school district, and I just prefer that for multiple reasons.
To each his own.
washburn321
AG
Gotcha. Totally understand that everyone has a different preference for their kids depending on town and district size. Midway is definitely a different experience than Lorena, CS and other smaller districts.
dfphotos
Midway was a lot better when it was actually uppity. I wouldnt send my kids there.
CrottyKid
AG
Bump.

Is there anything any of you would change about your statements since a couple of years habe gone by? I may be moving to the Waco area within the next year.
HollywoodBQ
AG
lilsportag02 said:

Midway ISD has a reputation. I have many friends that teach there but also send their own kids to other school districts (McGregor, China Spring)
Perception is all relative. My mom teaches in WISD so her co-workers all send their kids to Midway
dfphotos said:

Midway was a lot better when it was actually uppity. I wouldnt send my kids there.
Blame the new apartments in Hewitt.

For the OP and the bump poster, it just depends what you want.

Crawford is going to be more traditionally rural - like if you wanted 20+ acres or directions to your house that end with - after you turn off the paved road...

China Spring is more up and coming - populated with tons of my peers who graduated from Midway 25-30 years ago.

Lorena is kind of a mix of not quite Hewitt subdivisions and 5 acre ranchettes.

I personally kind of like the rolling hills/plains out towards Crawford. But, if I had to commute for work, I'd probably be partial to Lorena and I-35 access. China Spring is close to the Waco Airport (Killeen's airport is better though), the Dam and the Gun Club.
Cowboy1990
My opinion of the these schools -

Crawford - Assuming they have good academics and their athletic teams are always competitive, even at the State level - boys and girls. I believe this district still has a very rural feal about it. Honestly can't say anything about their band. Probably have a strong FFA department.

Lorena - probably have more options for kids as far as academics go because they are larger in size. Good athletics on both the boys and girls sides, but probably not as competitive as CS and Crawford. A plus they have in my opinion is that even though all three might be about the same distance time-wise traveling to Waco, because they are on I-35 they are much easier to get to Austin/Dallas, etc.

China Spring - only heard great things about their academics and again due to being larger than the other two can probably provide a few more opportunities. Athletics on both the girls and boys sides are again competitive at the State level. Their band is probably going to be the cream of the crop compared to Lorena and especially Crawford, but I could be wrong. They are a military style marching band but their concert band I believe recently won the Honor Band title (Basically State Champions in Concert Band)

Robinson - I believe also has good academics and is very competitive in both boys and girls athletics as well. Their band is probably more competitive on the marching field than CS due to CS being military style (that just doesn't win at contest). They, like Lorena are closer to I-35 giving them the advantage again if you travel to Austin/Dallas much.

McGregor - Probably last out of this group Academically, but still very solid. I don't mean that as a slight at all. I just hold the others in higher regard. Their athletics is usually pretty darn competitive as well, but, they haven't seen the success in recent years that China Spring, Crawford, and Robinson have and are probably even behind Lorena in that regard. Again, they are still highly competitive. They've also done well with their band the last couple of years if my memory is correct.

again, just my 2 cents...
45-70Ag
AG
Live close to the mcgregor airport and fairly close to Harris creek (the actual creek, not the neighborhood). We enjoy it out here and our kids attend south bosque. We love the school and it's kind of a nice medium of being close to town and away from it at the same time.

Depending upon what your families needs and interests are there are some great neighborhoods this direction with badger ranch, twin rivers, meadowland estates, hidden valley, sun west, stone creek ranch and river side.

Traffic on 84 has picked up some and they're going to start an overpass for 84 at the intersection with speegleville/old Lorena at some point.

Most of what we need we can get fairly close by driving into Hewitt/woodway.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Irish_Man said:

Traffic on 84 has picked up some and they're going to start an overpass for 84 at the intersection with speegleville/old Lorena at some point.
Last month when I was visiting my parents, I had to wait through two light changes on 84 at Speegleville Rd. It was crazy. My mom said that sometimes she's even had to wait through three light changes.

It is amazing how many houses they've planted between the McGregor Airport and the South Bosque River during the past 15 years.
45-70Ag
AG
Yeah the traffic has picked up significantly over the last few years. If I leave the house no later than 6:45am, no problems. Any later and I sit at that light for what feels like forever.
WACOAG90
AG
It's probably worth considering what interest you expect your kids to have in fine arts. Midway probably has the most fine arts options, but I am sure there are variances in what each district offers. I cannot recall the specifics now, but I believe there are differences in offerings like choir & dance team between the smaller districts. For example, I don't think Lorena High School has a choir program.
Rabid Cougar
AG
The Admin at Midway ( all of their top Admins are former Chine Spring Admin. including secretaries) just hired China Spring's band director. Go figure.

The new four lane China Spring Highway will make a huge difference when it is finished. They are moving along pretty well.

People are moving to CS because they want their kids in CSISD. Simple as that.
Hagen95
AG
Move to Woodway and live with the cool kids.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.