Northern Little League in Waco?

6,930 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by f2foxes2001
ConroeAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was reading all of the nostalgia in another thread about businesses in Waco that are now defunct, and I became sad about the disappearance of Northern Little League in Cameron Park by Lover's Leap.

I played there from t-ball through teenage baseball for about 8 years in the 80's, and it was wonderful.

Aside:

I really had no awareness of this at the time, but looking back I am amazed at how integrated Northern (and all of North Waco) was. Kids from all races played together, and parents from all races coached and ran the league, and it just worked.

Nowadays, people might say "so what?"...but back then when we got to all-stars and we played other teams from throughout the city here's what we saw:

Eastern LL was all black, Southern LL was all hispanic, and Midway and Lake Air were (mostly) white.

Back to the topic:

Being able to run around Cameron Park before and after games was a treat that I didn't appreciate until I was older and realized how cool Cameron Park was.

Anyway, I am saddened now when I drive by and there are no fields there. Does anyone know the story about why it folded? What league do the kids in that area play for now?

[This message has been edited by ConroeAg (edited 6/10/2013 7:48p).]
Mom Class of '03,'05 and '09
S
there are areas in/around Cameron Park that are high drug crime and the decent families you warmly remember, don't want their kids there especially after dark. I have had friends through the years from the Cedar Ridge area love three or four streets but not even use the HEB on 19th any more.
ConroeAg
Yeah, I realize that area has changed a lot in the last 25-30 years. I grew up on N. 23rd between Park Lake and Edna, a couple of blocks from what was then the Girls Club. Walked or biked to Cedar Ridge Elementary every day. You mention the HEB on 19th--when we got there in 1980 that wasn't there, instead it was Piggly Wiggly across the street (next to Flicks for the new Beta or VHS rentals).

Of course it was a different time altogether, because we also rode our bikes from 23rd all the way to Richland Mall fairly often. Don't think kids do that too much nowadays.
S
Piggly Wiggly, gosh that brings back memories both in Wacos locations and in Kilgore where my grandparents lived!

I worked at Central Texas Rehab on 18th, right behind the old Providence Hospital 78-80 and did lots of shopping in your area because I was already over there. Winn's on Park Lake is where I bought fabric many times! In the mid 80s-90s my kids always went to summer programs at MCC so I would drop them off at 830 and have a couple of hours to kill.

Indeed, kids do not ride bikes from Cedar Ridge area to the mall now!!!
dfphotos
We lost the city championship at the Northern fields to Lake Air. I still remember the umpire that bent us over. Those were indeed cool fields.
S
You kids remember where Brooklyn Field was? I was thinking about that the other day and I can't place it. My husband played city league softball when we first moved to Waco in 78 and there was a field off Primrose in South Waco and one in North Waco but I can't remember if either of those was Brooklyn.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Wow ConroeAg; small world. I grew up at 3608 N. 23rd.

Went to Cedar Ridge, North Junior and Waco High (two years downtown and one at the new one on N 19th that is now part of MCC).

Played Junior Teenage ball at those fields.
S
76 Did you go to school with Joe Knipper?
KBK60
I know where Broughton filed was but not Brooklyn Field.
ConroeAg
BQ76,

Within a block I guess, because I was at 3517 N. 23rd!

WISD's tinkering with its schools during the 80's (and continued busing to maintain inegration) had me going to lots of different schools without changing attendance zones.

I went to Dripping Springs Kindergarten (in East Waco on JJ Flewellen), Cedar Ridge Elementary, GW Carver 6th Grade Center (also on JJ Flewellen in East Waco), GL Wiley Middle School (East Waco Drive), Waco High 9th Grade (the old Jefferson Moore on the river), and Waco High (the consolidated version, located at the old Richfield campus).

Only two of those six schools still exist in those same configurations.

Speaking of the OLD Waco High downtown, I played some YMCA Summer league basketball games there at an OLD gym on that campus, in addition to the Doris Miller YMCA adjacent to GL Wiley.

I am now at an age where I am realizing the sadness of the disappearance of places and people from my youth.

It could be worse, I suppose--at least I'm not disappearing yet.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Mom
That name does not ring a bell. I am CO 72
petey88

Played teenage ball @ Northern for Ira's Restaurant & Gibson's Discount Center. In Little League, played in Northwestern LL for Dealer's Electric.

I went to school with many kids who played Northern LL, and wished I could play there. Didn't get the chance to play in Northern until until teen ball.

With Ira's, we finished in 2nd place with a 7-7 record. The first place team went 14-0.

BQ, my sister was WHS CO 72, ... small world
ConroeAg
Where was Northwestern Little League?
Captain Pablo
AG
quote:
Where was Northwestern Little League?

Due west of Northern Little League
petey88

Northwestern LL played at the fields across from Richfield, who also hosted Midwestern LL

very long time ago
ConroeAg
Aha, Northwest became Lake Air LL...thanks!
TXAGBQ76
AG
Peter
What is her name? Mine is Rick Ashley
TXAGBQ76
AG
In 64, a team from Northern LL went to th LLWS and finished third, their coach was kicked out of the last game.

I played junior teenage ball with a number of the kids from that team an one of the coaches was our coach.
petey88

your HC queen and cheerleader

TXAGBQ76
AG
Petey
That was a few years ago; initials D.D.?
TXAGBQ76
AG
Petey:
I finally figured it out- duh! I am friends with her on FB. Give her my regards!
petey88

BQ, I was running all around as a kid. One sister went to the old WHS, another was your class, I went to Richfield (WISD started busing about then, we lived in the same house the whole time), my little brother was forced to go to Jefferson Moore (again, same house)

Somehow, I never heard of, or never figured out how four kids from the same family who grew up in the same house, went to four different high schools.

We did all go to North Junior High (same house)

some may disagree, yet it is what is was
TXAGBQ76
AG
Kinda crazy; I never realized that stuff went on. I went downtown for two years and the new one for one.

Do you live in Waco still?
petey88

no, after high school, left town. Went back a few years ago to help out with my mom, she passed on,... I left again,

I have lived, and been in many places across America, and don't ever regret leaving Waco

possibly looking, to move out of state, again
Rabid Cougar
AG
Lake Air and Southern are all that's left.
ConroeAg
quote:
Lake Air and Southern are all that's left.

And of course, Midway, although most of them wouldn't necessarily claim Waco--even the ones who live in Waco.
f2foxes2001
AG
Played in both Midway and Southern. enjoyed the Southern experience far more than Midway. I remember playing some playoff games for both leagues at Lake Air. Never played at Northern, but remember going to the Boys/Girls Club fundraiser events up there in North Waco.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.