Westfest!

4,073 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BohunkAg
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who's going?
Karrde
AG
I hope I'm not working that weekend, it was a lot of fun last year.
EMY92
AG
I goto Menlowfest in May.
BohunkAg
AG
Menlowfest?
Texgal65
We'll be there!
c-jags
We actually wanted to make it up there for this. It looked like a lot of fun, but an 8 month pregnant wife is not conducive for the kind of fun we want to have.

Drink beer and eat kolaches for me.
piag94
AG
is it Labor Day weekend?
BohunkAg
AG
yes, piag....a week from this friday/saturday/sunday.
TempleAg97
AG
We LOVE WestFest. Of course, Aggie football takes precedence, but we still make the drive up on Sunday afternoon and bring the boys now.
jpb1999
AG
It is just a tough weekend to make it... with dove season and football season kicking off.

They need to move it for me...
BohunkAg
AG
We'll be at the game too on Saturday.

Whenever you go, make sure you stop and get a Beer Bread Sausage Sandwich. I have a little vested interest in that booth.
LBDT
I plan on going to the game on Saturday, and then WestFest on Sunday.
piag94
AG
Whenever you go, make sure you stop and get a Beer Bread Sausage Sandwich
----------------
So if we mention TexAgs do we get a free drink?
BohunkAg
AG
no
BohunkAg
retta13
AG
EMY92-Love my Menlowfest. I think we need t-shirts, koozies and mugs...maybe next year!
c-jags
quote:
I goto Menlowfest in May.

May... like as in 64 people 25 miles north of Brownwood, May?
BohunkAg
AG
Menlow is between Abbott and Aquilla, c-jags....I think they were talking about the month of May.
c-jags
newbie to the area fail.

although May, TX IS in the 254.
retta13
AG
Memorial Day Weekend, specifically, in May. In the town of Menlow, which is a suburb of Abbott--as I see it.
TempleAg97
AG
Bohumk - I always stop at that booth! We are going to have to meet either at Westfest or a tailgate.
EMY92
AG
I haven't met retta13, but I now have her name.

The owner of Menlowfest has asked me not to turn it into another WestFest, but I told him it was too late, the Aggie Network was already up and moving.

We could get all of the GB and Rivalries regulars to show up, it would be a great event to watch.
BohunkAg
AG
What do y'all do out there? I have a lot of family out that way. There are a TON of Aggies out that way too.
piag94
AG
Beer Bread Sausage Sandwich
------------
I want two right now!
retta13
AG
EMY, I was starting to wonder if you were one of my in-laws, somehow. Apparenly you are a Menlowfest guest, though!

Bohunk, there's probably a marriage certificate somewhere connecting our families in that area--unless you're one of my in-laws. Hmmm.

Technically, Menlowfest is a family fish fry.

I'll take a sausage boat and a Bold Springs burger, please; followed with a Rosette for dessert. I like to eat my way around Westfest!
BohunkAg
AG
quote:
Bohunk, there's probably a marriage certificate somewhere connecting our families in that area--unless you're one of my in-laws. Hmmm.
Birddog 99
AG
I wont be there (dove season and all), but will be drinking me some pivo in remeberance of Westfest!
jpb1999
AG
Bohunk... what were the best bakeries in town again? I think my family used to go to one that is now closed(Nemecek's?)... and now some of the same family members like The Village Bakery. I was in town last week and got a puchta from Village and one from Old Czech Bakery and I think I actually liked the one from Old Czech better... of course the one from Village was a day old though. Anywho, just couldn't remember your opinions on them.

While there, I got sausage kolaches from both and they don't come close to Greens. Now their fruit/poppyseed kolaches are much better though...

I know wrong thread, kinda, but couldn't find the one talking about this.
BohunkAg
AG
I prefer Ole Czech (on Oak Street...the main drag...next to the Pizza House). As for the klobasniki (sausage kolaches), it just comes down to your preference in sausage (insert joke here). The West variety has more garlic and spice, and the Green's sausage seems to have more sage or something in it. Both are equally as good, depending on what you like.

Anyway, for baked goods, we always go to Ole Czech. The one by Nemecek's, which was Kolacek's was good until Kake Kolacek died and it shut down. Village is OK, but not nearly what it used to be. And Czech Stop is to kolaches what McDonald's is to hamburgers....although they do some things pretty well.

Just my two cents of course....everyone likes different things.
jpb1999
AG
Yeah, that was it... Kolaceks. I didn't realize she passed away.

Yeah, we have always just called them sausage kolaches... but know that Klobas means sausage in Czech. Same things with the Puchtas... we always just called them rolls.

Great, thanks for the info!
Texgal65
Not to be a azz, but it's a buchta
jpb1999
AG
woops, yep meant to be buchta, not puchta...
BohunkAg
AG
I was being nice and not correcting you.
Texgal65
Either way, they are delicious!
BohunkAg
AG
there's a lady here in West that makes poppyseed and apricot buchta to die for. It is seriously some of the best food I've ever had. Just melts in your mouth. Outstanding.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.